Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Which oil filters to use?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2023, 02:01 PM

Common sense, you should try it sometime.

Old 04-12-2023, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt
Common sense, you should try it sometime.
Sorry I deal with empirical data and information as well contributing to the community with fact based information and personally testing using equipment that can acutely measure and test theories and accumulate information that can be verified.
No if you have some DATA and specification to support you information, please feel free post it.
Otherwise your information about using larger oil filters is somewhat questionable at best.
But than we are use to you debating to a point that we feel to let you go on your rant and stop responding to you on threads. LOL

Old 04-12-2023, 02:38 PM

to each his own. It may be "old school" but the extra margin is a plus to some of us.
More material means more capacity.
My heart would argue my extra margin being a plus

Old 04-12-2023, 02:42 PM

^^^^ rolmao I just caught that!

Old 04-12-2023, 04:55 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks, everyone, for an interesting and enlightening discussion! Looks like there's no requirement or need for an OEM or premium oil filter in my case, which makes life a little easier--and no guilty feelings.

Love my CX-5 and I'll continue to treat her with the great respect she deserves.

MiltB, Pompano Beach, FL

Old 04-12-2023, 09:05 PM

Larger filters may be better but then again you have no idea of the engineers plans or how the flow rates were designed.

Alot of people would still like to put 4" pvc in their houses...building codes allow 3 inch and plumbers use 3" to get the correct pressure and flow rates through the pipe so no clogs occur.

Before switching to a larger filters, one should think about how the engineers might have designed the engine with smaller filter to keep certain pressures and oil flow rates through-out the engine. Especially during the warranty period.

Old 04-12-2023, 10:42 PM

Thing is, oil pressure isn't altered much if at all, by a filter. Small filters are spec'd 'cause there is a small cost savings, and the
small filters are adequate for the average person driving a particular vehicle.
Track cars or racing vehicles use larger or special race filters (racing filters are generally larger to begin with).
CX-5, or any Mazda can use the 7317 (Fram size) is only slightly longer, so not a huge change.
I haven't checked on the square inch of surface area difference, but it is there. Greater size and larger surface area
allow greater flow and greater holding capacity.
Use what you wish, but there is likely as much difference one brand versus another then the difference between two
of the same brand but different size.
Three differing center tube designs with variations of two of those may or may not give differing flow.
Several different media compositions also alter flow and particle trapping efficiency.

My 2¢

Old 04-13-2023, 09:12 AM

o one should use and I dought anyone care about alternative oil filters from the OEM and aftermarket application for their Mazda engines. s I said the use of them should a engine problem occure could be cause to void the Mazda Warranty. Contacting Mazda direct and they explain this in full details.
Also under the .....

Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act which basically states you can choose what parts to use as long as they are applicated by the manufactures!

So as an ASE I advise against using the larger oil filters unless there is an application by the manufacture.

Dennis I built and own a Performance Engine Machine shop and gave careful consideration top the choice of oil filters. The least was its capacity. Most had to do with the valving and filter media. You idea of larger oil filters on a dailey driver was debunked decades ago and there are DATA with flow number and the capacity is a joke anyway but there are also number showing what those oil capacity was. In your case as many who use them they are a psychological thought that they are getting a better oil filter. LOL

Give it up dude you are showing arm chair DIY BS that hold no water of any real beneficial facts! LOL

Old 04-13-2023, 11:33 AM

Of course YOU don't care about capacity, you change your filters often.
What's to give up? Just because I don't agree with your opinion isn't much of a reason.
A larger filter can flow more oil, and as many folks live and drive in areas with more dust, dirt, etc. in the air,
and maybe put off oil and filter changes longer than they should, the extra capacity may come into play.
As I mentioned before, the oversize filter costs the same as the tiny MFG one, or the 6607 (Fram size), why not?
I haven't seen the data you refer to, and/or the brand, type, size etc... used for those tests.
And how old was that data? Filters have improved a good deal in the last couple of decades. So....

My 2¢

Old 04-13-2023, 11:48 AM

Of course YOU don't care about capacity, you change your filters often.
What's to give up? Just because I don't agree with your opinion isn't much of a reason.
A larger filter can flow more oil, and as many folks live and drive in areas with more dust, dirt, etc. in the air,
and maybe put off oil and filter changes longer than they should, the extra capacity may come into play.
As I mentioned before, the oversize filter costs the same as the tiny MFG one, or the 6607 (Fram size), why not?
I haven't seen the data you refer to, and/or the brand, type, size etc... used for those tests.
And how old was that data? Filters have improved a good deal in the last couple of decades. So....

My 2¢
Dennis your responses purely shows that you really do not understand how oil filters work. It also indicates you dont understand flow vs oil p[ressure relating to an oil filter.
Your responses DO show that you are a really poor DIY and need to get into technical articles a little more often and not assume how things really work in the real world.

There are current data relating to flow rates and engine speeds with some platforms. There are current information on some oil filters relating to flow rates vs oil pressure.
CURRENT meaning technical Data in the last 10 years.

If you compare a large oil filter with a smaller one the capacity is the only main difference and that capacity does nothing in the value of having more oil in the engine considering the small amount of difference. And as I keep repeating to you to help you understand things that you never knew or understood in the first place you will void your engine WARAANTY using none applicated oil filters. And there is no advantage to using a larger canister size oil filter over the REACOINDED SIZE from the OEM as well aftermarket oil filter companies.

See flow rate charts with oil filters vs oil pressure to understand the dynamics of why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For all other members reading this thread...

Conclusion

Automotive oil filters have a direct relation with the engine of a vehicle. But the oil filters need to be of high quality and of the right type for that to happen.

The oil filter serves an essential function It is highly important to know how to have the right one for your vehicle. This means use only what the OEM recommends or is applicated for your year make model and engine type.

Last edited by Callisto; 04-13-2023 at 11:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Which oil filters to use?