Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Which oil filters to use?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2023, 12:17 PM

Not the first time you've been wrong I'm sure.
I do know how oil filters work. It's not rocket science.
A MFG would have a hard time claiming a warrantee problem was caused by an oversize
filter, especially one of higher efficiency than the factory Denso filter.
Out here in the real world some of us can have reasons for alternate solutions/changes. And they work.
I noticed you haven't inundated us with links to all those technical reports and tests you refer to, I, for one
wouldn't mind reading them. they may not be as cut and dried as you claim.

Old 04-13-2023, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt
Not the first time you've been wrong I'm sure.
I do know how oil filters work. It's not rocket science.
A MFG would have a hard time claiming a warrantee problem was caused by an oversize
filter, especially one of higher efficiency than the factory Denso filter.
Out here in the real world some of us can have reasons for alternate solutions/changes. And they work.
I noticed you haven't inundated us with links to all those technical reports and tests you refer to, I, for one
wouldn't mind reading them. they may not be as cut and dried as you claim.
LOL um really dude in almost 30 years helping and participating on forums I may have had an error maybe 3 times! MAYBE?

And its easy to prove if your engine fails and the wrong oil filter is on the block.... WARRANTY VOID!!!

As far as real world ROLMAO I engineer parts for vehicles IN THE REAL WORLD and some of them just happen to be oil pans and lubricating systems. So pleeeeeeze when you say real world at least be in the industry and not another arm chair flat earth believer with your own untested theories about how things work . LOL

I almost never post DATA which any DIY key pounder these days can go find on the WWW. I can see you never looked because sorry to say was reading one this morning. LOL The problem with the one I was reading is the information would have mostly gone right over your head with technical information !
I have hinted a few times that the relation ship between the oil filter and the oil pressure of the engine. If anyone using their brain can find that basically talking about the use of larger filters in the contents you are is not needed and not really good advise because of other issues that may come up with there use.

So you go ahead and continue to use the wrong oil filters on your engines as I am almost positive not one other member on this forum is going to take your advise and chance a problem occurring.

I wonder what you would say about Oberg filters..... LOL..
Before you comment yup I use them have pictured them on this and other forums and they do not have much of a capacity.
Oh I might also mention that because of the possible flow restrictions and reduction in aftermarket oil filter adapters I ported one for improved performance and flow rates also pictured on this forum.
Now back to size don't matter when it comes to the oil filter use on most all daily drivers conversation... or comic hour? Reader be prepared for laughs.

Dennis you stick with topic when you post stupid until it is just beating a dead horse so you can have the remaining responses I won't need to respond to your bad information on this thread anymore. LOL

To get the exact warranty information regarding the use of none applicated oil filters :
Mazda USA Official Site | Cars, SUVs & Crossovers | Mazda USA

Old 04-13-2023, 01:35 PM

For the Average commuter vehicle driven in a sane way any OEM spec oil filter will do the job . If you change the filter with a good OEM quality oil filter and good proper weight Synthetic oil every 5000 miles you are GTG .

Old 04-13-2023, 01:40 PM

All bow down to our resident all knowing self styled expert on all things Mazda.
How do you get that swelled head through a door?

Old 04-13-2023, 01:50 PM
Default Lets keep it civil

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt
All bow down to our resident all knowing self styled expert on all things Mazda.
How do you get that swelled head through a door?
No need to get nasty , Lets keep it civil.

Old 04-13-2023, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by THE CHIEF
No need to get nasty , Lets keep it civil.
I think maybe he thinks that I really am Callisto? LOL (see avatar)
Callisto was Major Matt Mason's friend from Jupiter. He was the mysterious alien with advanced mental powers (represented by his transparent, veined green head).

Old 04-13-2023, 02:35 PM
Default Simple way

The simple way for most of us to deal with this is to get it done by your Mazda dealer . Most Mazda dealers have oil change specials for under $60.00 . They use the proper filter and oil ,and have trained tech's doing it. When you figure $7.00 to $12.00 for the filter and $25.00 to $30.00 for the oil and the labor time ,mess, and disposal of the old oil and filter getting it done by the dealer starts looking like the way to go. $100.00 a year for most of us is all it costs to get it done and spend our valuable time with more important issues .As a bonus they wash the vehicle and update any new firmware .

Last edited by THE CHIEF; 04-13-2023 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-13-2023, 03:11 PM

If a bigger oil filter is better, than more oil must be even "more better".
I'm going to install a 50-gallon oil pan, Olympic pool sized radiator expansion tank, and a boat sized 6-gallon fuel tank brake fluid reservoir.
My car will last forever, though my mileage might drop a tad...

Old 04-13-2023, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
If a bigger oil filter is better, than more oil must be even "more better".
I'm going to install a 50-gallon oil pan, Olympic pool sized radiator expansion tank, and a boat sized 6-gallon fuel tank brake fluid reservoir.
My car will last forever, though my mileage might drop a tad...
I guess I had better stop using my dry sump oil pan and Oberg oil filter (oil capacity about 2oz. or less cup oil) on my 1200+ HP S/G Camaro?

Brings back the memories of when some people were using toilet paper rolls in an oil filter canister. I never used it I was afraid my engine would take a Sh*T. LOL

Last edited by Callisto; 04-13-2023 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-20-2023, 06:55 PM

My 2014 VW GTI hit 440K without many issues. Engine finally died. Car is sitting in garage. I'm going to restore it and put in a used engine. Last of the German built GTI's.

Quick Reply: Which oil filters to use?