Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Which oil filters to use?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2023, 08:54 PM

So what, if anything, does that have to do with us here?

You're talking about a non-Mazda, giving us no history of oil type, frequency of oil changes, or what filters you have used, why the "engine finally died", and you have mentioned nothing else germane to this discussion.

Are we missing something relevant here? Can you tell us why we should pay attention to what you've said?

MiltB

Last edited by miltbaker; 04-20-2023 at 08:55 PM. Reason: typo correction
Old 04-20-2023, 09:38 PM

No matter the car manufacturer I've always used OEM filters during the warranty period just so the manufacturer can't find any reason to deny warranty repairs.

After warranty expired, I've used both OEM (as they're well priced) but also aftermarket (for convenience. Beats a drive to dealership). I've alway changed oil according to manufacturer intervals.
no matter the manufacturer, all my vehicles engines lasted over 200 k miles with no problems, except maybe leaking seals which Valvoline high mileage oil sealed up.

OEM filters are competively priced and best used during warranty. Aftermarket filters used after warranty appear to have had no negative effects on engines.

Old 04-21-2023, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by kilroy22
No matter the car manufacturer I've always used OEM filters during the warranty period just so the manufacturer can't find any reason to deny warranty repairs.

After warranty expired, I've used both OEM (as they're well priced) but also aftermarket (for convenience. Beats a drive to dealership). *I've alway changed oil according to manufacturer intervals.
no matter the manufacturer, all my vehicles engines lasted over 200 k miles with no problems, except maybe leaking seals which Valvoline high mileage oil sealed up.

OEM filters are competitively priced and best used during warranty. Aftermarket filters used after warranty appear to have had no negative effects on engines.
Why is it only on forums do so many people claim going 150k-250k ,miles with no problems. On a mechanical end its just not possible with all one would need to do to claim that. *And those members on forums that do I watch what they post and I know they are not doing what it takes to accomplish that claim. LOL
There is NO reason needing to stay with OEM filters for your example during the warranty ! Do you also buy OEM motor oil also during the warranty period.

As for the OE oil change intervals they are IMHO and based on so many oil analysis now I have lost count that it is to many miles for a daily driver. And the first oil change should be done with 1000-3000k of the odometer reading and then again 8000 mile mark to start that foundation to claim in a few years going past 100K miles with no problems.

And you are WRONG about summing all aftermarket oil filters together stating that they have no negative effect. If you use a generic oil filter to save money you will likely at some point have an oil filter failing. DON"T use any oil filter other then TOP BRANDs on any engine!

Old 04-21-2023, 01:23 PM

The low end/entry level filters from most all major brands is roughly equivalent
to the Denso filter Mazda has available. The better level of those brands are
generally more efficient for several reasons.

My 2¢

Old 04-21-2023, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt
The low end/entry level filters from most all major brands is roughly equivalent
to the Denso filter Mazda has available. The better level of those brands are
generally more efficient for several reasons.

My 2¢
well I guess this is a little better information for you? sorta...
The word should be LEVEL and not better. And with most top brand manufactures it is only the difference in 1-4% at best filtration increase that really would be hard to see even if you did routine oil analysis.

However unless you specify the exact oil filter manufacture and which series or type filter generally speaking it is not the best comparison information.

FRAM as my example:

I have distributed and retailed their product since the late 70's. They have even been one of my sponsors on my Race car. (FRAM/Autolite/Benndix) But I would seldom ever use more then the good old original ORANGE Extra Guard on most everything I own and also if available install on customers engines. The other Fram oil filters they offer are not necessary in most average and IMHO daily driven engines. They are designed for more adverse or severe operating environments. Although they do state to have slightly higher filtration percentage over the Extra guard oil analysis shows the need for them is more peace of mind then protection if you do a regular oil and filter service. FRAM Technical will even tell you that if you email or contact them direct.
So this does not sound like another DIY response (lol ) here is the 2 contact sources that any member can use to verify or get "schooled" on the better information instead of opinions.

Contact Us | FRAM Customer Service & Support | FRAM

Blackstone Laboratories Blackstone Laboratories (blackstone-labs.com)

Old 04-21-2023, 10:15 PM

Uncle Tony seems to think Oil Filters don't matter much anyway.

Old 04-21-2023, 11:26 PM

Fram’s Technical Training Manager Jay Buckley:
foreign material in the range between 10 and 20 microns will potentially do the most engine damage over time.
Fram Extra Guard 95% @ 20 microns
Fram Ultra Guard 99% @ 20 microns
94% @ 10 Microns

I couldn't find the efficiency of the Extra Guard @ 10 Microns.

My 2¢

Old 04-22-2023, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Why is it only on forums do so many people claim going 150k-250k ,miles with no problems. On a mechanical end its just not possible with all one would need to do to claim that. *And those members on forums that do I watch what they post and I know they are not doing what it takes to accomplish that claim. LOL
There is NO reason needing to stay with OEM filters for your example during the warranty ! Do you also buy OEM motor oil also during the warranty period.

As for the OE oil change intervals they are IMHO and based on so many oil analysis now I have lost count that it is to many miles for a daily driver. And the first oil change should be done with 1000-3000k of the odometer reading and then again 8000 mile mark to start that foundation to claim in a few years going past 100K miles with no problems.

And you are WRONG about summing all aftermarket oil filters together stating that they have no negative effect. If you use a generic oil filter to save money you will likely at some point have an oil filter failing. DON"T use any oil filter other then TOP BRANDs on any engine!

Yes. OEM filters and recommended oil in my vehicles during warranty period. F.e. motocraft oil and filters in my Ford's, Mazda or Castrol oil and Mazda filters in Mazda, etc.

After warranty, have used OEM oil or Valvoline high mileage and OEM, NAPA gold or Fram extra and ultra filters. I really never paid attention to which filters were top of line. I think my frequent oil changes and get all that crap(micron particles) out of engine is more beneficial than running the oil longer with a super filter. And it's cheap vs. engine repair.

VW, Toyota, Ford all into 200 k miles with no engine/power train problems and minimal problems, save maybe spark plugs, water pump(VW), alternator(ford) or valve cover gasket (Toyota).

Only engine problems to date has been the Mazda cracked cylinder head, and HLA's which was manufacturer defect and not maintenance related.

There's something to be said for regular oil changes during recommended intervals and once start getting gasket leaks, Valvoline high mileage works great if started before the problem gets too bad.

In all the above vehicles the frames rusted out well before any power train problems. Hence why I fluidfilm the mazda.

Last edited by kilroy22; 04-22-2023 at 06:09 AM.
Old 04-22-2023, 07:54 AM

This thread has led me to comment:
filtered comment would be "no comment".
Unfiltered comment would be " I feel the need to get personally well oiled".

Old 04-22-2023, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
This thread has led me to comment:
filtered comment would be "no comment".
Unfiltered comment would be " I feel the need to get personally well oiled".
Ya I should have just ignored this thread. it should be re-titled REPEAT #999

I do find it funny that many that posted what they use/used for filters are also from companies that made the OEM filter as well their own . LOL
And also some members that always seem to claim no problems with engines yet never really gave the engine a health evaluation that involves a series of tests. I think had they done that they may not be posting (boosting) claims of "no problems"! Which I suppose that term really translates into the engine starts and ran well in their opinion.

Last edited by Callisto; 04-22-2023 at 09:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Which oil filters to use?