Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Which oil filters to use?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2023, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Ya I should have just ignored this thread. it should be re-titled REPEAT #999

I do find it funny that many that posted what they use/used for filters are also from companies that made the OEM filter as well their own . LOL
And also some members that always seem to claim no problems with engines yet never really gave the engine a health evaluation that involves a series of tests. I think had they done that they may not be posting (boosting) claims of "no problems"! Which I suppose that term really translates into the engine starts and ran well in their opinion.
The Toyota at 212,000 miles , the buyer had a mechanic look at it and conduct compression testing and other tests.
It was solid.

​​​​​​As far as the Ford, no codes, no tailpipe smoke, no engine noises and great acceleration and not breaking down over 200,000 miles equates to a decent engine for me. Also, I didn't say the engines weren't worn, just that they lasted over 200,000 miles without any major problems or breakdowns.

And I changed my oil and filters regularly.
OEM during warranty and OEM, Fram or Napa after warranty

I guess it seems that everything has to be qualified and wording chosen very carefully.

Last edited by kilroy22; 04-22-2023 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-22-2023, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by kilroy22

I guess it seems that everything has to be qualified and wording chosen very carefully.
Yup! In my line of work accuracy means better able to assess the problems also it clears misconceptions up. On the internet once you post it it seems to become biblical and empirical in the information.

BTW most engine test like compression need to be followed up by scoping as well a leak down test. These are seldom ever done by "mechanic's" when checking the health of an engine !
Inherently some engine parts simply wear no matter how well the engine was taken care of. And the hours of an engine run/miles is the information that some us know what parts are worn out and need servicing!
And no codes(DTC) does not indicate ECU pending code or pending codes dure cycles Another thing that mechanic either do not know how to access them or disregard looking for them if no DTC and monitors are in state of readiness

There are reasons why there is exact hour scheduling for servicing engine parts on airplanes regardless of how well maintained the craft is!

Old 04-22-2023, 12:20 PM

As you like to say abut many posts here - a car does not equate well with an airplane. There is much more at stake if an engine, or wing flap fails on an aircraft. I am sure many parts on airplanes are replaced at a certain time when they are perfectly fine, but who wants to take the chance?

Old 04-22-2023, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
As you like to say abut many posts here - a car does not equate well with an airplane. There is much more at stake if an engine, or wing flap fails on an aircraft. I am sure many parts on airplanes are replaced at a certain time when they are perfectly fine, but who wants to take the chance?
I was talking about engines dude..
Last time I look many are exactly the same as a vehicles engine not only exactly but in comparing HOW-THEY-WORK.

I wonder just how much you actually know about vehicles in general. From the responses .... well my response borders on being accurate but may hurt your feelings.. ROLMAO..

Good thing the internet is there for you to find the answer you want to read regardless if it is empirical in nature , factful or let alone any experienced based.

And to close as always you have nothing of any real contribution and information to this thread except TROLING...

Old 04-23-2023, 07:47 AM

Little did I know when I asked the question that kicked off this thread that it would turn into such a wild ride with such diversity of opinion--not to mention a handful of fragile egos getting stomped on, and stomping back. But that's not unhealthy in a forum like this. Rather it shows the health of our forum and the passion here. We love our CX-5s but that doesn't mean we all take care of them in the same way. To each his/her own . . . Bravo!

MiltB

Old 04-23-2023, 08:59 AM

Uncle Tony made a new video. I am not sure if he is saying oil filters matter or not?

Old 04-23-2023, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by HighCompression
Uncle Tony made a new video. I am not sure if he is saying oil filters matter or not?

https://youtu.be/O4FvZvczxqY
He is a funny guy. Said a lot of what about a thousand or more like video say.

Keep in mind after looking at so many "test" that they are not done in a control,acttaul miles on the road ,or different operating enviroments.

Please someone post actual documentation of an engine failing because of using any oil filter that caused enough debris to by pass and kill and engine that was normally service at regular scheduled recommended intervals by the OEM..

OH and in case I have not mentioned it I own, use and sold through my various shops OBERG OIL FILTERs. But prefer to use them on my more modified engines rather then a daily driver.