Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Parking brake problem after dealer rear brake service

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2023, 07:47 PM
Default Parking brake problem after dealer rear brake service

I have a 2017 CX-5 AWD GT. The dealer did new pads and resurfaced the rotors on the rear yesterday and today when I tried to set the parking brake for the first time the dash light came on and the button blinked continuously. That said, I could hear the brake engage and putting the vehicle into drive I could verify that it was being held by the parking brake. Turning off the parking brake I could again hear it and now the vehicle was able to roll freely. So it seems like it is working, but the computer is not happy. I went through a procedure just now to enter parking brake service mode and then exit it. This is supposed to calibrate when it exits. This is all successful and after service mode is exited I can set and release the brake without any dash light or the button blinking. Great! But unfortunately, as soon as I turn the ignition off and back on, the problem is back. Parking brake still works mechanically but the dash light is on and the button is blinking.

Any ideas what could be causing this? I would normally run it back to the dealer who did the work, but they are 4 hours away. I was forced to tow it in for a fuel pump replacement after having the vehicle shut off on the highway on a weekend trip. While that work was being done they mentioned the rear brakes were getting low so I agreed to have them do that as well. But bottom line, it's not easy for me to deal with this dealer after making it back home and I have a feeling my local dealer (who is generally pathetic at everything) will tell me it's not their problem since they didn't service it.

Thanks!

Last edited by HiBoost; 04-24-2023 at 07:15 AM.
Old 04-24-2023, 07:10 AM

What year and model CX-5?

Old 04-24-2023, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by miltbaker
What year and model CX-5?
Sorry, edited the first post to include. 2017 AWD GT

Old 04-24-2023, 08:35 AM

The dealer should be forced to fix the issue if they caused it. I know you said it's a long drive, but it's a problem that you shouldn't have had to worry about in the first place.

Old 05-04-2023, 09:17 AM

I'm still dealing with this saga. I will be driving the car 5 hours back to the original dealer next week. They are telling me that they definitely used the service mode before doing the rear brake service (new pads and resurfaced rotors) and therefore cannot commit to covering any repairs before seeing the vehicle. This seems like a huge risk on my end to take it out there without knowing if they will do anything about it, but my choices are limited. The dealer here in town looked at it and said the rear calipers had been damaged and the actuators need to be replaced as well. Their estimate was for over $1900. I thought I was doing the original dealer a huge favor by offering to drive the vehicle back to them so they can fix it without having to pay marked up parts prices (online prices for the parts is $450) and another dealer's labor. But they do not seem to share my perspective. Below are the two issues uncovered by the local dealer. They also said the calipers were "visibly damaged" though there is no code for that of course.

Do any of you Mazda experts have an alternate theory as to how this could have happened other than failure to use service mode before the work? The dealer tells me this was their most experienced tech doing the work and he knows these vehicles in and out. Things just don't add up...

Old 05-04-2023, 09:35 AM

Sounds like you're gonna have to show them the estimates and prove they're wrong. I would even threaten calling the US Mazda Headquarters to prove a point if they won't help.

Old 05-04-2023, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Alexmed2002
Sounds like you're gonna have to show them the estimates and prove they're wrong. I would even threaten calling the US Mazda Headquarters to prove a point if they won't help.
I already sent them the estimates and the codes... they are not taking the position that nothing is wrong, they are taking the position that they can't believe they caused it. The level of customer service is pathetic at both dealers. This is our second new Mazda but it will definitely be our last, 100% owing to the poor dealer experiences.

Old 05-04-2023, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by HiBoost
I already sent them the estimates and the codes... they are not taking the position that nothing is wrong, they are taking the position that they can't believe they caused it. The level of customer service is pathetic at both dealers. This is our second new Mazda but it will definitely be our last, 100% owing to the poor dealer experiences.
I hear you on the dealerships. I've had good luck near me but they always try to pull little things like not applying coupons during oil changes. I always let the car be the determining factor if I'll get another one from the same brand, but I know a dealer can ruin it.

Old 05-04-2023, 03:22 PM

At this point I wouldn't drive it anywhere; you need to transport it.
If one dealer has said your calipers are shot and you drive it back to the dealer that did the repair, they will claim YOU knowingly did the damage.
As Alexmed pointed out you need to be on the phone with Mazda Customer Service.

Old 05-04-2023, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
At this point I wouldn't drive it anywhere; you need to transport it.
If one dealer has said your calipers are shot and you drive it back to the dealer that did the repair, they will claim YOU knowingly did the damage.
This is a fair point.

Quick Reply: Parking brake problem after dealer rear brake service