Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Parking brake problem after dealer rear brake service

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2023, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by HiBoost
I'm still dealing with this saga. I will be driving the car 5 hours back to the original dealer next week. They are telling me that they definitely used the service mode before doing the rear brake service (new pads and resurfaced rotors) and therefore cannot commit to covering any repairs before seeing the vehicle. This seems like a huge risk on my end to take it out there without knowing if they will do anything about it, but my choices are limited. The dealer here in town looked at it and said the rear calipers had been damaged and the actuators need to be replaced as well. Their estimate was for over $1900. I thought I was doing the original dealer a huge favor by offering to drive the vehicle back to them so they can fix it without having to pay marked up parts prices (online prices for the parts is $450) and another dealer's labor. But they do not seem to share my perspective. Below are the two issues uncovered by the local dealer. They also said the calipers were "visibly damaged" though there is no code for that of course.

Do any of you Mazda experts have an alternate theory as to how this could have happened other than failure to use service mode before the work? The dealer tells me this was their most experienced tech doing the work and he knows these vehicles in and out. Things just don't add up...

Youve assumed dealer 1 is responsible for a large problem based on dealer 2 word when there could be several different things wrong from cheap to expensive fixes.
Maybe dealer 2 exaggerated the problem perhaps?
Having dealer 1 look at and fix the problem is probably your best option.

​​​​I just changed my rear brakes this weekend with no problems, in and out of service mode. Piston just pressed right in.

The tech may have messed up service mode and then tried rotating the piston back in which may have broken the internal clip.
Dealer 2 would not be able to see this damage from a visual unless they tore the calipers down. Its amazing, almost impossible that dealer 2 saw any visual damage, aside from a broken boot(which shouldn't happen). That said, perhaps the dealer 1 can rebuild the caliper or simply replace it with new. If it's the caliper, the dealer should replace no charge.

It's also possible the actuator is malfunctioning and just needs replaced.
this could just be a coincedence and not the dealers fault. You may have a bill for actuator replacement.

Hopefully dealer 1 takes responsibilty if they messed up the procedure and ruined the caliper.

Also the diagnostics screenshots dont have a name or date fields so how can you be sure they are from your vehicle?
Also dealer 2 could very well be right about the calipers, but the tactics used to convince you are questionable.

Last edited by kilroy22; 05-08-2023 at 03:37 AM.