Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Part Compatibility CX-5

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2022, 08:08 PM
Default Part Compatibility CX-5

I have a 2014 CX5 it’s the FWD 6MT 2.0l and i noticed the motor is the same as the mazda 3 and the mx5 so i was wondering if i can use the cobb access port or any other mods for the speed 3 or if there’s a turbo kit i could get i want to get a little more power out of it and i heard mazda’s are really good for project cars i know the cx5 isn’t meant for this and if i wanted a a speed 3 i should’ve got one but this is what i have 😭 and i want to make it different

Old 01-07-2022, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by uno.alex
I have a 2014 CX5 it’s the FWD 6MT 2.0l and i noticed the motor is the same as the mazda 3 and the mx5 so i was wondering if i can use the cobb access port or any other mods for the speed 3 or if there’s a turbo kit i could get i want to get a little more power out of it and i heard mazda’s are really good for project cars i know the cx5 isn’t meant for this and if i wanted a a speed 3 i should’ve got one but this is what i have 😭 and i want to make it different
Engine swap project like you are thinking are NOT user and friendly and unlike swapping out a Datsun 240Z 6 cylinders for a small block Chevy there is soooooo much more to it electronics wise to consider as well having experience in basic engine swapping and being able to fabricate parts.
If you are asking it is not a project you would want to do. AT least not without help from other with experience. No insults intended.

Last edited by Callisto; 01-07-2022 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-08-2022, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Engine swap project like you are thinking are NOT user and friendly and unlike swapping out a Datsun 240Z 6 cylinders for a small block Chevy there is soooooo much more to it electronics wise to consider as well having experience in basic engine swapping and being able to fabricate parts.
If you are asking it is not a project you would want to do. AT least not without help from other with experience. No insults intended.
Engine swap? The OP is asking about adding parts to his existing engine, I didn't see any questions about swapping out the motor...

Old 01-08-2022, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Conrad 16.5
Engine swap? The OP is asking about adding parts to his existing engine, I didn't see any questions about swapping out the motor...
Thats correct but if you understood the difference in the engine and ECUs then you would understand my response!
If the OP was just asking about OEM replacement general part compatibility (not performance upgrade OEM parts between the 2 completely different engine and ECU) like gasket's and tune up parts maybe I would have answered differently? lol
Ya see I understood exactly what the OP is trying to accomplish.

Last edited by Callisto; 01-08-2022 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-09-2022, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Thats correct but if you understood the difference in the engine and ECUs then you would understand my response!
If the OP was just asking about OEM replacement general part compatibility (not performance upgrade OEM parts between the 2 completely different engine and ECU) like gasket's and tune up parts maybe I would have answered differently? lol
Ya see I understood exactly what the OP is trying to accomplish.
Thank goodness that we have you around with all of the understanding that the rest of us lack, or at least the understanding that I lack.

Old 01-09-2022, 09:33 AM

okay yeah i won’t be doing that then 😭thank you though and no insult taken i don’t have the machines to be fabricating parts or really the experience in fabricating so that would be a deadend project, but is there any good universal turbo kits this car responds well too? and also i was wondering if the exedy clutch kit for this car is good? i’m looking for a better clutch feel obviously i don’t need it for performance but the OEM clutch is super numb and that along with it not having much power makes it unenjoyable to drive to say the least lol

Old 01-09-2022, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Conrad 16.5
Thank goodness that we have you around with all of the understanding that the rest of us lack, or at least the understanding that I lack.
well sorry to say but ya I am. LOL Ya see that what I do an have done for a living for decades....

okay yeah i won’t be doing that then 😭thank you though and no insult taken i don’t have the machines to be fabricating parts or really the experience in fabricating so that would be a deadend project, but is there any good universal turbo kits this car responds well too? and also i was wondering if the exedy clutch kit for this car is good? i’m looking for a better clutch feel obviously i don’t need it for performance but the OEM clutch is super numb and that along with it not having much power makes it unenjoyable to drive to say the least lol
I have a 2014 CX5 it’s the FWD 6MT 2.0l and i noticed the motor is the same as the Mazda 3 and the mx5 so i was wondering if i can use the Cobb access port or any other mods for the speed 3 or if there’s a turbo kit i could get i want to get a little more power out of it and i heard Mazda’s are really good for project cars i know the cx5 isn’t meant for this and if i wanted a a speed 3 i should’ve got one but this is what i have ? and i want to make it different
If you read this then you would UNDERSTAND to use this ECU/EFI Performance Calibration equipment and programming the necessity to have the Speed 3 Engine and ECU swapped into the ops MAZDA! Also to install a Turbocharger kit the first consideration is finding a OBDII Performance Calibration interface to dial in the ECU having the Turbocharger not normally OEM in that model MAZDA. So again, the need to SWAP out the EBGINE for one that first has aftermarket Turbocharger kits available for a Speed 3 or something that in the end would require a complete engine (maybe transmission) swap out along with the ECU and maybe TCM? .
Sure, you could build a Turbocharger installation of your own on that engine but then you would need a STAND A-LONE ECU and program it from scratch.

A universal Turbocharger kit if there were one close to being able to use on your engine would be the same information ^^^^^

You could find someone to help you build a rear Turbocharger installation, but it would in the end still at some point require ECU calibrating.
With no ECU calibrations
If you add:
Port and polished head
Custom ground camshaft's
Redesigned inductive system
Carefully designed complete exhaust system

you would be good for a safe solid reliable about 30hp gain. And about 3K less in your wallet.

The sad thing without really good experience, the tools to-do so, and a fairly limitless bank account you just have the wrong platform for upgrading power with any real solid end results.

To qualify myself a little better as Conrad seems to imply I don't "walk the walk and talk the talk"... go have a look at my thread about my projects on my Mazda.

Mazda3 Things I like to do - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Last edited by Callisto; 01-09-2022 at 10:23 AM.