Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Play radio when motor not running?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 01:46 PM
Default Play radio when motor not running?

With a key start vehicle there was always a key position on the ignition switch that allowed you to play the radio when the motor was off (like when your sitting for a few minutes waiting for someone). Can that be done with this system since there is no ignition switch only a "start" button. I can not find anything in the instruction book (which btw is over an inch thick). If it can be done....HOW?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Old 12-04-2015, 02:53 PM

The functioning of the ignition switch is explained on pages 4-3 thru 4-3 of your 2016 owners' manual. The accessory position (in which the radio can be operated when the engine off) is accessed by pressing the start button once with your foot OFF the brake.
BTW, you should spend some quality time reading your (inch thick!) manual if you want to learn how your $30k investment works. And be thankful Mazda provides this info. I have a 2013 BMW Z4 with twice the electronic gizmos as my 2013 CX-5 and an OM half as thick that barely scratches the surface of the car's functioning. I'm constantly going online to learn things about that car that are not covered adequately in the manual!

Old 12-05-2015, 06:10 AM
Default Thanks

Hey paris, thanks for the response and info. I have started reading book but it is a daunting process (inch thick as you said). Have tried the index to look things up but half the time I don't know what they are called so that is pretty much useless. I'm kind of a dinosaur when it comes to modern electronic paraphernalia. When the salesman said he would sync my cell phone for me and I pulled out a flip phone his response was..."I haven't seen one of those in years". Of course it can not be synced.

BTW, I own a 2006 MX-5.....Key ignition and push button radio...no manual needed to operate although setting time on clock always needs a book refresher.

Thanks again.

Old 12-05-2015, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by topol
I'm kind of a dinosaur when it comes to modern electronic paraphernalia. When the salesman said he would sync my cell phone for me and I pulled out a flip phone his response was..."I haven't seen one of those in years". Of course it can not be synced.

Thanks again.
I hope "synced" isn't the same as "pairing" since I too still have a "stone-age" flip-phone that can be paired to a Bluetooth earpiece or visor speaker phone.

Old 12-05-2015, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Skyliner5000
I hope "synced" isn't the same as "pairing" since I too still have a "stone-age" flip-phone that can be paired to a Bluetooth earpiece or visor speaker phone.
I, too, am a luddite when it comes to phones. I use an old Motorola V557 which pairs fine on my CX5 and which uploads the phonebook from the phone to the system without any problem. This thing also pairs with my 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland and the Pioneer AVIC8000 in my 2013 MX5. You don't get all the streaming music and stuff since the phone doesn't support that, but I don't use that stuff anyway. The HD radio and a 32 gig USB thumb drive provide plenty of music.

Old 12-06-2015, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by schmieg
I, too, am a luddite when it comes to phones. I use an old Motorola V557 which pairs fine on my CX5 and which uploads the phonebook from the phone to the system without any problem. This thing also pairs with my 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland and the Pioneer AVIC8000 in my 2013 MX5. You don't get all the streaming music and stuff since the phone doesn't support that, but I don't use that stuff anyway. The HD radio and a 32 gig USB thumb drive provide plenty of music.
Thanks, that's good to know! I recently had a Motorola RAZR flip phone, since 2007 from Verizon, that finally "died" and I replaced it with a LG flip phone! One of the nice things about the the RAZR, it was made from aircraft aluminum, not plastic. I used to purchase the RAZR's back in the 1990's for Miami-Dade County Telecommunications Division, when they replaced the old "brick" cellphones. Back then the RAZR's sold for $1,200.00.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:32 AM

The key thing for me is that the voice controls will allow me to dial by voice and the hands free functions work fine. For me, a phone is a phone. I don't want to text on it or watch TV on it.