Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Ppf

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2024, 11:50 AM
Default Ppf

Bought a new CX-5 and plan on keeping it till it's wheels fall off, so I want to protect it as much as possible. I'm looking at doing PPF on the front bumper, hood & mirrors. Any recommendations? I don't have the $$$ to have it done and will put it on with the help of a friend who does window tinting and wraps professionally. Also, has anyone put PPF on the gloss black trim parts?

Old 07-11-2024, 03:08 PM

That is a big job. Glad you know someone who does wraps as I could imagine it be frustrating as a DIY with no prior experience. I did the headlights on another car and that was pretty easy but the hood it another thing. I love my PPF. Have the front bumper, hood and qtr panels done on mine. Get it done ASAP before you get chips.

Old 07-11-2024, 05:27 PM

Experienced help is the way to go. Not only is it a technical install but it takes some serious arm muscle to stretch it so it looks good. And lots of slip applied. Your buddy will explain.

Old 07-14-2024, 10:04 AM

Just some friendly advice here, but you want to be sure the PPF wraps under the leading edges of the panels where applicable. I’ve seen some jobs done where the film stops short of wrapping around and inevitably the leading edges get chips in them.

On our CX5, we also had the back side of the side mirrors done as well as the door handle cups and the top of the rear bumper to protect from damage when putting things in and out of the back. Good Luck.

Old 07-14-2024, 10:35 AM

Or you can see if the actual person doing the work has been to a certification training as an example 3M offers to be a certified installer of clear protective film.

There are countless business and individual that claim they know how to install protection film but unless they are taught from someone that has been professional trained or they themselves professionally trained there will be countless mistakes and short cuts done that will result in less the best installation.

And often overlooked and considered is what material brand is used. This is so important, but you get what you pay for!
If in doubt always request 3m brand film.

Last edited by Callisto; 07-14-2024 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-15-2024, 02:05 PM

Thanks, I'll ask about certification. I'm asking which film for each quote.

Old 07-15-2024, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by cylec
Thanks, I'll ask about certification. I'm asking which film for each quote.
You should ask for the thickest available for headlights.
If not 3m product ask for impact technical information. Keep in mind they will give a sales pitch. And laws of physics apply! IF you are traveling at 65mph and you hit a stationary object like a suspended in time and space (lol) like a small pebble. Naturally most debris has it own velocity and a simple object at 40fps (slow) is 27mph. Simple math the impact is now 92mph.
Thicker is always better protection.