Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Pulsating dome lights with turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2021 | 05:27 PM
|
Question Pulsating dome lights with turn signals

Hey All,

I drive a 2018 CX-5 GT with 63K miles in great condition. I just replaced the battery this summer. The other night I had my hazard flashers on with my driver side door open (interior dome lights were on) and noticed all of the dome lights were pulsing along with the flashers in an opposite pattern. This also happens if I activate one of the turn signals (just not as obvious). I have 2 questions:

1) What is causing this?
2) Should I be concerned for any electrical problems?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 12-02-2021 | 07:21 AM

I don't know the answer to your question but why did you have to change the battery in your 3 year old car?

Old 12-02-2021 | 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Conrad 16.5
I don't know the answer to your question but why did you have to change the battery in your 3 year old car?
Not unusual at all in today's electronic laden cars. Batteries go bad all the time. I had a 1998 Nissan Pathfinder have a cell go bad suddenly about 2yrs into the lease. I drove it to lunch and it was fine, when I came out the battery was completely dead and had to be replaced under warranty.

Old 12-02-2021 | 09:28 AM
|

The original battery that was put into the car during production was from Panasonic...That may have something to do with it LOL. Anyways, during routine maintenance twice this year, my mechanic did a test of the battery each time and the CCA rating was below its expected value (measured = 458 / rating = 550). Living in New England, I obviously wanted to get a new battery going into the winter to avoid any mishaps. I purchased a Diehard that carries a 4 year warranty. I also spoke with a few friends who are very experienced with cars and they said the pulsating of the interior lights is nothing to be concerned about. It's basically a power draw from the signal relay.

Thanks for the feedback!

Old 12-02-2021 | 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Bauer4665
The original battery that was put into the car during production was from Panasonic...That may have something to do with it LOL. Anyways, during routine maintenance twice this year, my mechanic did a test of the battery each time and the CCA rating was below its expected value (measured = 458 / rating = 550). Living in New England, I obviously wanted to get a new battery going into the winter to avoid any mishaps. I purchased a Diehard that carries a 4 year warranty ...
Just installed an Optima Red Top, into my 2016 CX-5. Wasn't having clear instances of pulsing, as such, but I would get noticeable slight dimming of lights as, say, the heater kicked in or even if I pressed the brakes a little. Since the new battery install, all of that has lessened or been eliminated. As in your case, my old battery was marginal on the juice, with little excess "head room" for all the power-drawing gear. I'll feel much better with winter coming on, with the new battery, either way.

Old 12-02-2021 | 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
Not unusual at all in today's electronic laden cars. Batteries go bad all the time. I had a 1998 Nissan Pathfinder have a cell go bad suddenly about 2yrs into the lease. I drove it to lunch and it was fine, when I came out the battery was completely dead and had to be replaced under warranty.
Anyone else want to explain to him why this is not very accurate. Obviously a digital volt ohm meter is not his friend.
The batteries age is a factor among many other charging system parts that can cause a premature battery failing. Generally if the charging system is work correctly a battery will have more in the 5+ years if the battery was manufactured using 100% NEW materials. Unfortunately many brand named batteries that many are now NEW now t use recycled materials and claim they do not effect the lasting quality of their batteries. You have to research what the battery is made with and likely call directly and ask because not many supplies have the information and many battery manufacture will not post if they are using recycled material in their new battery.

Pulsating would not be normal but not necessarily indicating a problem either. MAZDA unfortunately does not use as many grounds as many of us feel should be with the electronics, nor do they use as large as some of would like on charging or starter cables . I have done those vital and needed upgrades on both but mainly because of my stereo and planned alternator upgrade later next year.

Old 12-03-2021 | 03:08 AM
Super Moderator

Has there been any panel or paint repairs carried out recently? Sounds like a bad earth.

Old 12-03-2021 | 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Has there been any panel or paint repairs carried out recently? Sounds like a bad earth.
What my Australian friend is referring to for some that don't know the verbiage.... earth being the ground connection!

Old 12-04-2021 | 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
What my Australian friend is referring to for some that don't know the verbiage.... earth being the ground connection!
An earth ground in a car?

Old 12-04-2021 | 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
What referring to for some that don't know the verbiage.... earth being the ground connection!
An earth ground in a car?
Um well although not accurate it is still used. Like how often we call things and people a "WING NUT"

Maybe you should look it up having to do with vehicles and other meaning? It is the same thing when other countries use the term Bonnet or spell tire, TYRE

Meaning of bad earth connection in cars? - AnswersA bad "earth" connection means a poor ground connection to the earth which is not technically how it works in cars. This would be the appropriate way to say something for homes or systems connected physically to the ground.

A bad ground connection in cars simply means that there is one or more grounding wires that have a loose, corroded, or otherwise faulty connection.

This can adversely affect vehicle performance depending on what circuits use the ground. When there is a poor ground connection there is more resistance in the circuit that needs it (not good). There can also be an intermittent connection which will also cause issues.

Ground connections may come loose from age if they are bolted in place or become rusted.

A shop manual for the specific vehicle should have detailed information on where every single ground connection is on the car.

also:
Signs and symptoms of poor earth connection in a car battery (ehow.co.uk)

Quick Reply: Pulsating dome lights with turn signals