Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

question about strange noise over radio

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 10:54 AM
Default question about strange noise over radio

This may not be a Mazda specific question but I drive a 2014 Mazda CX-5 so I'll start here...

I have the Grand Touring w/technology package and the Bose sound system. I drive the same route to work everyday and have noticed that at a certain point on the highway, no matter what FM station I have on and no matter what I am listening to, the radio volume dims on its own and then there is a loud sound I find hard to describe...it is a shrill metal-like sound, like two pieces of metal pipe are being clanged together, kind of like a gong sound. The sound repeats itself three times - bang, bang, bang. Then the radio comes back on at it normal volume.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be? Thanks

Old 04-24-2014, 03:47 PM

Some form of radio interference. Are there any broadcasting antennas in the area where this happens?

Interference: Defining the Source | FCC.gov

Old 04-25-2014, 08:37 AM

Can this be your problem...

CX-5 GT w/ Tech - 3 random beeps every now and then

==
Mike

Old 04-26-2014, 06:37 AM

If it's the same spot on the highway everyday it's the GPS warning alert. The Tomtom lowers the volume and gives you the instruction or the chimes. For my red light camera warning I downloaded the Dark Vader voice from Tomtom and that plays it's cool when I have people in the car and it goes off. LOL.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:15 AM

thanks for the responses...I'll have to check Tom Tom out although I did not have it on (and frankly have never turned it on since I got it - I use Google Maps through my phone). Does anyone know if Tom Tom would sound an alert if it wasn't on?

Also, I am on the highway when this happens (although I suppose there may be a light on the street along the highway). To make it even more curious, I don't get the noise when I go home in the other direction on the same highway.

Saturday night, I was in one of the neighborhoods off this same highway (haven't been there since before I bought my CX-5 in January) and the sound went off several times.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:16 AM

No way to turn Tomtom off maybe you might want to turn the volume down this way when the alert goes off you don't hear it