Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2021, 07:11 PM
Default Rotors

My 2019 CX-5 has just under 13,000 miles and the rotors have corroded and rusted to a point of needing to be replaced. The dealer says they don't qualify to be replaced under warranty since the cause of the corrosion appears to be that I did not drive the car enough in the 19 months in which I have owned it. I reject this argument completely but the dealer is refusing to cooperate. I called Mazda corporate and they are deferring to the dealer's judgement. A service executive at the dealership acknowledges that it is possible I will have to replace the rotors every 13,000 miles because "it happens." I no longer want the car and wish I did not buy it.

My question is, has anyone experienced anything like this in the past? I have owned 10 cars in my lifetime and none of them have needed new rotors at 13,000 miles. Even my Chevy Trax, which costs half as much and which I drive half as much (about 4,000 miles a year) has not required new rotors over the course of the 37,000 miles I have driven it. Is the dealer giving me the runaround? Does Mazda not care to admit they produced a faulty product? Why should I even bother paying for the repair if the problem is only going to reappear?

Old 05-06-2021, 08:19 PM

Rotor wear is not a common complaint with CX-5s. I remember reading a post from one owner who was asking about replacing his original worn rotors - at 105,000 miles. Why exactly do they need replacement, surface rust is common to all vehicles. Do you live in a location which uses salt on the roads? Drive on the beach? I’m not saying this is normal or that you are being overly dramatic, we want to find out details. A few good pics might help.

Old 05-06-2021, 09:26 PM

where are the pictures?

Old 05-06-2021, 10:59 PM

Some rotors will get a light build up of rust naturally, just oxidation, if not "coated". Mazda may not coat theirs, I don't know but the dealer will. Don't look at the surface rust, look at the condition of the rotors where the pads will press on the rotors. That's what is important. If there is a light layer of rust, go drive the car and use the brakes and see if that cleans the contact surfaces. The rotors should be lightly grooved, if heavy grooves time for new rotors and pads. Change your pads when changing rotors, pads are cheap, labor to change pads later isnt.

Old 05-07-2021, 08:13 AM

Thanks, guys, for the input. I don't have pictures but this video may help. I still also need to get a second opinion on whether the rotors can be cut. In any event, the company not standing by its product is what bothers me most.

Old 05-07-2021, 08:26 AM

Those rotors from the pictures should NOT be machined. I also see a lot of corrosion from road chemicals. I would have likely advised the same thing if you came into my shop. But again it is only looking at the video which that technician is not getting the best angles and holding the camera a bit longer.

I would recommend not to continue to drive your MAZDA until you get new rotors and pads.
Maybe in the future occasionally rinse your undercarriage after driving on roads you know or may think have been treated due to snow?

Old 05-07-2021, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by jamzpond
Thanks, guys, for the input. I don't have pictures but this video may help. I still also need to get a second opinion on whether the rotors can be cut. In any event, the company not standing by its product is what bothers me most.
If the rust layer is really thin, a good drive should be enough to clean them up. My son had a Subaru while he was deployed overseas. I didn't drive it much and was told the same thing. A run up and down the hills here cleaned them up. If it's a slightly heavier layer of surface rust, getting them turned should take care of the issue, I think you're a long way from replacement.

Last edited by Chris!; 05-12-2021 at 07:38 AM.
Old 05-07-2021, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Those rotors from the pictures should NOT be machined. I also see a lot of corrosion from road chemicals. I would have likely advised the same thing if you came into my shop. But again it is only looking at the video which that technician is not getting the best angles and holding the camera a bit longer.

I would recommend not to continue to drive your MAZDA until you get new rotors and pads.
Maybe in the future occasionally rinse your undercarriage after driving on roads you know or may think have been treated due to snow?
Callisto, thanks for your input and expertise. I agree the condition of the car is not safe. For this to occur at 13K miles is the real issue for me. It's so disappointing to accept the idea that Mazda doesn't take responsibility for this when my experience with nine other less-expensive cars--in the same conditions, seasons, and geographic location--is so different. Would a Lexus or BMW owner face or tolerate the same thing? Something tells me they would not.

Cars are insured based on annual mileage: the more you drive, the more you pay; the less you drive, the less you pay. I'm being penalized for driving less. It's flabbergasting. If this is what I get for buying a Mazda, I wonder what Subaru would have to say about it?

Old 05-07-2021, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by jamzpond
Cars are insured based on annual mileage: the more you drive, the more you pay; the less you drive, the less you pay. I'm being penalized for driving less. It's flabbergasting. If this is what I get for buying a Mazda, I wonder what Subaru would have to say about it?
Two different things.

Steel and aluminum corrodes. Even more so, if exposed to road chemicals (ie, winter 'salting') and infrequently washed to mitigate (or eliminate) such things. And, too, with brake rotors, the surface where the pads ride can easily be kept quite clean if frequently using the brakes, and if occasionally hard braking to eliminate such deposits.

It'd be an interesting experiment, to take any of the other vehicle brands you'd mentioned and exposing those to the same conditions, same roads, same infrequent use, same frequency of cleaning, etc.

Sorry to hear you're not getting the "love" you think you should be, on the issue. Might call up the Mazda support line and speak with somebody about the expected durability of the rotors on newer CX-5's. They might have different information or support than your dealer.

Old 05-07-2021, 12:33 PM

It does look like the section of the rotors where the pads contact is clear, but cant tell if the full surface that the pads contact is clean. As Calisto says, the video isn't real clear. Try to get under the car and see if you can just use steel wool to break loose the rust, it may be a combo build-up of rust and crud that you are seeing.
With so few miles on it road chemicals probably have a lot to do with the condition. I would also take it to a good indy shop and let them look at it. I'm not a big fan of cutting rotors, the addl labor charge to get them off and cut isn't much less than just replacement.and you again have full wear left rather than a reduced thickness.

That would be a good question to Mazda customer support (on-line chat) to see what expected "normal" mileage should be. 13,000 doesn't sound normal.

Quick Reply: Rotors