Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Rust on inner lower door panel likely due to drainage issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2024, 02:04 PM
Default Rust on inner lower door panel likely due to drainage issue

I have a 2017 Mazda CX-5 which I bought new. I noticed that there is rust on all four inner door panels as shown in the picture.

I have brought this to two autobody shops, both who have indicated that this is a manufacturer defect and that the doors are not draining properly resulting in the rust. They also advised that even if rust if sanded and repainted, the problem is likely to occur again, unless the drainage issue is fixed.

Mazda has declined my claim since they said there is no perforation.

Has anyone else had this issue? If yes, has anyone found a solution for it or been able to get Mazda to cover it and take responsiblity for the poor manufacturing.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-13-2024, 04:52 PM

*It is not a defect.

I suggest get over that. This type of could happen to virtually any vehicle that has steel body parts in that area. No auto manufacture ever warrantied (that I am aware of) any platform or model.

If we get beyond those points and not debate the validity, moving ahead. These type of rusted areas can be corrected before it become a body rust bucket. *I am very surprised you did not get any better advice from the body shop you went to?

I would do some research for a DIY solution or start shopping for a better auto body shop that actually wants to help you!

Old 06-14-2024, 09:50 AM

Sadly even if this were considered a corrosion issue that Mazda would cover under their 5 year warranty, its too late. The good thing is that the rust in the photos looks like it can be cleaned pretty well.

Old 06-14-2024, 05:43 PM

Well Mazda seems to have done a good job with rust proofing the underside of the vehicle,
I've taken the extra step of rust 'proofing' the doors. I sprayed a oily lubricant into all the corners
of the doors, an those similar areas between the corners. I opted for LPS 3. It creeps into the folds
and seems to keep the water out of those high rust prone areas. I'm in the rust belt to begin with so
any preventative is a plus.

My 2¢

Old 06-15-2024, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt
'm in the rust belt to begin with so any preventative is a plus.
Amen to that!

Old 06-16-2024, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt
Well Mazda seems to have done a good job with rust proofing the underside of the vehicle,
I've taken the extra step of rust 'proofing'

My 2¢
Originally Posted by Alexmed2002
Amen to that!
Iam going to guess washing you vehicles a little better then the posted first response pictures… lol

Old 06-17-2024, 07:53 AM

Not being a wise-a$$ here but you need to take better care of your vehicle.
There is no way this should've gotten to this point if you were paying attention when cleaning your vehicle.
Cleaning the inside parts is as important as the outside. Too many people ignore door jambs where dust, dirt can build up trapping moisture.
I see you live in Toronto so like me in Maine the issue is most likely from salt or salt liquids sprayed and/or laid on the roads during the winter months.
It will get into that area and set there unless you wipe it down. Yeah, it's PITA to do it in the winter but if you don't...
What you have is surface rust, it is not coming from inside the door.
It's an easy fix for any competent body shop.
As Cali said, I would suggest finding one before it because full-blown metal rot requiring replacing metal body parts.

Old 06-17-2024, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
What you have is surface rust, it is not coming from inside the door.
It's an easy fix for any competent body shop.
As Cali said, I would suggest finding one before it because full-blown metal rot requiring replacing metal body parts.
Do you think a can of rust cleaner and a rag would work for @crwong77 to use? It looks like surface rust and not anything too serious yet.

Old 06-18-2024, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Alexmed2002
Do you think a can of rust cleaner and a rag would work for @crwong77 to use? It looks like surface rust and not anything too serious yet.
Looking at the pictures the door drains were working. However, if large amount of dirt was allowed to collect, they would in the end start rust and create a large problem.
Again, it is obvious a maintenance problem or lack of and nothing more.

I would not spray , or brush any kind of resolve until the door cavities were cleaned. At this point the proper way to clean them is removing the door panel and inner plastic covers and carefully rinsing the lower section to the door cavity out.