Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Shifting the AT manually

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 07:24 PM
Default Shifting the AT manually

The was a thread below (and thank you Nickndfl for reviving the forum a bit) that made me think of the tranny on these cars. Reminded me that I had a question for you folks.

I have always had a manual tranny car in my possession, but my second car has always been an automatic. Driving a stick is second nature to me, especially in cars that require it for that perfect balance (ever drive an AT sports car? yuck). You shift by the feel of the torque curve without thinking about it. Occasionally, you use the tach if you are too close to the redline. For the most part, little thought or attention goes into the process.

I know that the CX-5 tranny has a manual feature but I can never get it to work comfortably. I always thought that it would be fun to use this feature if I can figure out how to do it. Kinda feel silly that I can't.

So, do you take your foot off the gas when shifting like a manual? Have you been able to feel the need to shift by the feel/sound of the engine? Any tips on how to start learning this so no thought goes into the process?

Smiling as the puppets dance,
TKC

Old 01-25-2017, 07:49 PM

No, you don't take your foot off the gas when shifting. The only time I use the manual feature is when I'm in a situation (usually on mountain roads or long uphill grades) where I want more control over the gearbox in order to stop it from continually "hunting" for the correct gear. In these situations manual mode is invaluable.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:13 PM

You're welcome. We need some more action around here. Zoom zoom.