Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Smart City Brake Malfunction - New 2016 CX-5

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by SAMazda
Haven't had any luck with dealer service department yet (though they are trying), hoping someone here has some ideas:

Purchased new 2016 CX-5 GT AWD w/i-ACTIVESENSE at the end of March, and within a week started receiving the following two error messages on my info panel:
"Smart City Brake Support Malfunction. Forward SCBS Disabled." and
"Smart Brake System Malfunction"

Both messages show up in tandem, never just one or the other, and at seemingly random times. Once I turn the car off, they disappear and then pop up again after a few days or weeks. The dealer asked several questions about weather conditions, time of day, highway vs. city, windshield sensor debris/fog, etc. But the messages have appeared in just about every combination of driving conditions. Dealer kept the car for a couple days, could not recreate the issue or find anyone else with this issue, eventually Mazda told them to replace some ABS part...two days later, message appeared again.

Dealer keeps telling me they need to run diagnostics while the messages are on the screen but given the randomness of the problem, neither I nor they have been able to recreate on demand. Closest thing to a pattern I've recorded is that the error is more likely to set off when driving at slow speed and/or slowly applying the brake; the car usually jerks a bit (which i assume is the SCBS kicking in briefly?) and then the messages appear. For example, once they appeared while in the middle of a U-turn after I was stopped at a red light.

Thanks for your help and suggestions!
Mazda in the UK is one of the worst customer service, they will not any admit any thing is wrong with problem with with SCBS . We have given up now and living look like we will sell it and buy a Ford once all the lockdown is lift and dealers it.

Hope you can get yours sorted our car is only 18 months old.

Old 06-27-2020, 08:07 PM
Default My CX5 problem sorted.

Haven't had any luck with dealer service department yet (though they are trying), hoping someone here has some ideas:

Purchased new 2016 CX-5 GT AWD w/i-ACTIVESENSE at the end of March, and within a week started receiving the following two error messages on my info panel:
"Smart City Brake Support Malfunction. Forward SCBS Disabled." and
"Smart Brake System Malfunction"

Both messages show up in tandem, never just one or the other, and at seemingly random times. Once I turn the car off, they disappear and then pop up again after a few days or weeks. The dealer asked several questions about weather conditions, time of day, highway vs. city, windshield sensor debris/fog, etc. But the messages have appeared in just about every combination of driving conditions. Dealer kept the car for a couple days, could not recreate the issue or find anyone else with this issue, eventually Mazda told them to replace some ABS part...two days later, message appeared again.

Dealer keeps telling me they need to run diagnostics while the messages are on the screen but given the randomness of the problem, neither I nor they have been able to recreate on demand. Closest thing to a pattern I've recorded is that the error is more likely to set off when driving at slow speed and/or slowly applying the brake; the car usually jerks a bit (which i assume is the SCBS kicking in briefly?) and then the messages appear. For example, once they appeared while in the middle of a U-turn after I was stopped at a red light.

Thanks for your help and suggestions!
My CX5 was having the same trouble. Warning lights came up mainly at slow speed or while slowing down.
Checked tyre pressure, reset codes still problem persisted.
My mechanic suggested a throttle issue and recommend cleaning of carbon deposit in the throttle chamber - did not help.
The mechanics next guess was a faulty intake valve and suggested replacing the complete throttle box. As vehicle was under a mechanical warranty, it did not cost me anything and lo behold the problem has been solved.

Old 06-28-2020, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mravi
My CX5 was having the same trouble. Warning lights came up mainly at slow speed or while slowing down.
Checked tyre pressure, reset codes still problem persisted.
My mechanic suggested a throttle issue and recommend cleaning of carbon deposit in the throttle chamber - did not help.
The mechanics next guess was a faulty intake valve and suggested replacing the complete throttle box. As vehicle was under a mechanical warranty, it did not cost me anything and lo behold the problem has been solved.
I had to take mazda to court and they gave me a 100k miles extended warranty and $2500 (2k went to my atty). The light came on again and the service dept replaces the camera and so far the problem is fixed

Old 03-19-2021, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mindaugas Bene
The same issue. Car started braking. Its happens in clear air condition. No fog, snow or rain. -6C degree. After restart of car messages dissapears.
Did you get to the bottom of this issue? I have identical problem at moment.

Old 03-19-2021, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by LDP
Bought a 2015 CX-5 2.2 diesel sport nav in July 2019 and have had this problem since buying it, it’s probably happened around ten times always in different conditions throwing up a mixture of Tyre pressure, engine management, DSC and parking brake error accompanied by the SCBS forward malfunction error

more recently the error has been accompanied by a loss of engine power

turning the engine on and off seems to clear the problem

anyone found a solution?
Did you find a solution to this issue? Going through exactly the same issue after recently buying a car privately around a month ago. Problem only started in last week!

Old 03-19-2021, 11:42 AM

If the car is under warranty, the easy answer is to replace each component of the system, one by one, until they find the defective one. The problem with this solution, if the car isn't under warranty, is that dealers usually won't undo electrical repairs and they don't want to spend a hundred man-hours to finally end up making a a $200 repair. So what they do is just shrug their shoulders and blow you off. The problem with computerized cars is that the diagnostic capabilities haven't kept up with the technology. They shouldn't have to SEE the error occur, that's pre-computer thinking. When the car software throws the error that turns on the light, that underlying condition should be stored in the car's computer so the technician can immediately identify the problem. Just take a look in your owner's manual and see how many things you need the parking brake on to do. Things that are completely unrelated to the parking brake functionality. So, if the parking brake malfunctions, you could get non-parking brake error messages. Same with the turn signals (e.g. lane change warning technology). It isn't just Mazda. I had a Honda that would disable the cruise control, traction control, etc if the gas cap wasn't on tight. All I'd see is a "Check Engine" light.

Last edited by bangorme; 03-19-2021 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-30-2021, 06:32 PM
Default Amen

I have a 2015 cx5 2.2 diesel auto.
my partner had a bump at the front and since then the car is in limp mode and only twice come up with TPMS and the City braking alarms. Nothing else.
I’ve had an oil change, and had all bodywork repaired including front offside light and surroundings.
Also this evening I’ve cleaned the DPF. It was seriously clogged. Since doing that it’s come up with a permanent engine inspection light.

should I get it plugged in to get any codes removed?

im not sure if it’s related to the DPF or the ADAS needs recalibrating which the body shop should’ve done.

the body shop let my partner and 5 year old drive off in a car in limp mode. That’s a separate matter. How should I deal with that?

Old 10-01-2021, 05:08 PM

Latest update in case anyone else has this problem: I left my CX-5 with the dealer on 9/2. They ran tests, drove the car for over 100 miles until they recreated the malfunction lights I was having, then determined that the Smart City Brake Support sensor needed to be replaced, which they did. They also said they needed to remove the 3rd party remote starter (that they originally recommended/installed when I purchased the car), which has a receiver/antenna on the upper windshield near the sensors, and replace it with the Mazda OEM remote starter. They returned the car to me on 9/14 in the afternoon. After 5mins of driving during the morning of 9/15, the car jerked and the same malfunction lights turned on again! This time, I was able to leave it running and drive straight to the dealership, not that it should have mattered since they already recreated the problem. Service manager said Mazda told him to re-run the same diagnostics again (why?!), and of course the test results were the same as before. Had another long wait and eventually we called the District Service Manager to re-iterate my request to have this lemon replaced with a new, properly functioning car. Obviously she would not commit to that, though after 6 months of this I think it's a very reasonable request. So I left the car with them yet again.

9/17: just got a call from a service rep...now they are going to replace three more parts: "rear body control module, radar sensor, sas control module". This is in addition to the SCBS sensor earlier this month and some ABS part the first time I left the car with them in April. Maybe I'll get the car back next week, maybe it will work.

My wife's suggestion: "Just ask if they'll take this car back and give you a Honda CR-V instead"...maybe she's right

What happened to your car? I had my cx5 installed with a 3rd party remote starter then I saw the smart city brake malfunction on my dadhboard whenever I start the car using that remote starter but when I turn on the car using the brakes it doesn’t shows up anymore.

Old 10-01-2021, 06:58 PM
Default Scbs

Originally Posted by Khrish Lauzon
What happened to your car? I had my cx5 installed with a 3rd party remote starter then I saw the smart city brake malfunction on my dadhboard whenever I start the car using that remote starter but when I turn on the car using the brakes it doesn’t shows up anymore.
Mine hasn't given me anymore problems since they're replaced the scbs. I was telling them all along the scbs was the issue. Hired a lemon law atty and for an extended 100k mile warranty and a few hundred dollars. (my atty got $2k) anyways the tech found the issue cuz it malfunctioned while they had my car so they replaced it. 52k miles later, no issues. (knock on wood). Another 80k miles warranty to go.

Old 11-24-2021, 12:56 PM
Default CX5 scbs fault

I hope this helps someone but I had exactly the same problem for nearly eight months....then one day I serviced my 2.2 CX5 myself and found the small hose below the main air intake pipe on the air filter housing was not connected, it looks like a return breather hose. Once reconnected and driven a few miles fault has gone. I had Air mass metre fault and scbs fault. Now completely gone and all for a tiny push on pipe.

Quick Reply: Smart City Brake Malfunction - New 2016 CX-5