Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
View Poll Results: How safe is the use of a small spare (125-80-16). for cx5 awd?
Kills awd
0%
Acceptable for short distance
100.00%
Safe but undesirable
0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Spare wheel

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2022, 04:40 AM
Default Spare wheel

How safe is a small spare wheel (125/80/16) for an cx5 awd version with 19 inch rim

Old 05-14-2022, 07:59 AM

How safe is the spare? As compared to what? The spare is for temp use only and if placed on the rear of the car, it's as safe as any other car with a spare tire in use.

Old 05-14-2022, 09:35 AM
Default Misunderstanding

I may have used the wrong expression. My question was not related to general safety but to the safety (reliability) for the awd system. To be clear: I would use this small wheel only to drive to the nearest service station.

Old 05-14-2022, 06:43 PM

The stock spare is garbage. I replaced it with a properly sized 18x4 CX-9 wheel from LKQ, around 80 bucks. It fits in the spare tire well. More details on the other Mazda forum.

https://mazdas247.com/forum/t/small-...les.123870721/

https://mazdas247.com/forum/t/2017-s...u-s.123861462/

Old 05-15-2022, 08:20 AM

If it gets you off the road, I would say it is safe enough. I wouldn't go too far or fast with it. To me, it wouldn't be worth the cost of upgrading to a full size unless you expect to need to drive a mot of miles on it. In almost a million miles, I think I have used mine once.

More important than the size is the condition. Check the air regularly and replace it after 10 years.

Old 05-15-2022, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Conrad 16.5
How safe is the spare? As compared to what? The spare is for temp use only and if placed on the rear of the car, it's as safe as any other car with a spare tire in use.
I could not have SAID IT BETTER!
How did this this get to be a "VOTE" thread in the first place?

Old 05-16-2022, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JohanEv
I may have used the wrong expression. My question was not related to general safety but to the safety (reliability) for the awd system. To be clear: I would use this small wheel only to drive to the nearest service station.
I'm quite sure Mazda wouldn't sell vehicles with spare tyres that are detrimental to the driveline.

Old 05-16-2022, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
I'm quite sure Mazda wouldn't sell vehicles with spare tyres that are detrimental to the driveline.
I wonder how many people understand, as you mentioned earlier, that the mini-tire should be put on the rear because the CX5 is front wheel drive based. I don't have one in my MX5, but, if I did, I would have to put it on the front because of the LSD.

Old 05-17-2022, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by schmieg
I wonder how many people understand, as you mentioned earlier, that the mini-tire should be put on the rear because the CX5 is front wheel drive based. I don't have one in my MX5, but, if I did, I would have to put it on the front because of the LSD.
While I can't say for sure I believe that every car manufacturer says the same thing in the owners manual.

"in case of a flat tire on the front, remove the rear tire and place that tire on the front and then place the space saving spare tire on the rear of the vehicle."

It has nothing to do with FWD, AWD, or your LSD. It's all about safety and the temp spare not being as safe on the front as it is on the rear.

Old 05-17-2022, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Conrad 16.5
While I can't say for sure I believe that every car manufacturer says the same thing in the owners manual.

"in case of a flat tire on the front, remove the rear tire and place that tire on the front and then place the space saving spare tire on the rear of the vehicle."

It has nothing to do with FWD, AWD, or your LSD. It's all about safety and the temp spare not being as safe on the front as it is on the rear.
Putting a mini-tire on the rear with an LSD is a recipe for serious diff problems.

Quick Reply: Spare wheel