Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
View Poll Results: How safe is the use of a small spare (125-80-16). for cx5 awd?
Kills awd
0%
Acceptable for short distance
100.00%
Safe but undesirable
0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Spare wheel

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2022, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by schmieg
Putting a mini-tire on the rear with an LSD is a recipe for serious diff problems.
We don't have to worry about that in a CX-5. Perhaps in my MX-5 Club, if it had a spare tire that is.

Old 05-18-2022, 10:07 AM

None of those mini spares are worth a crap and I personally would never use one.
Get a roadside assistance program, they're really pretty cheap and well worth it especially for us old geezers who use to change tires on almost every long road trip back in the day of crap tires.
You can relax and have a cold or hot drink while someone else replaces your tire with a real one.
With AAA and "Slime" I haven't personally changed a flat for decades.

Old 05-18-2022, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
None of those mini spares are worth a crap and I personally would never use one.
Get a roadside assistance program, they're really pretty cheap and well worth it especially for us old geezers who use to change tires on almost every long road trip back in the day of crap tires.
You can relax and have a cold or hot drink while someone else replaces your tire with a real one.
I agree; I hate them, but they are hard to avoid today. The last time I changed a tire was on a 95 4Runner when I sliced the sidewall on a rock while off-roading near Moab back in the 90's. My MX5 doesn't have a spare - just a jack, air pump and a bottle of stuff that I don't use because it gums up the inside of the tire. I added a pack of plugs and the tools necessary to install them, but that won't help if the sidewall gets cut. My Jeep has a smaller in width spare that is the same size diameter as the tires, so that does work without stressing the diffs. If I were still physically able to do the heavy duty off-roading I used to do, I would have put an external tire carrier on it that could carry a full size spare, but my back is at the point that I am wary of getting into too much heavy duty 4 wheeling any more. I figure the CX5 spare will get me to a tire shop.

AAA is fine and I've been a member since 1968, but sometimes they take several hours to get to you.

Old 05-18-2022, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Conrad 16.5
We don't have to worry about that in a CX-5. Perhaps in my MX-5 Club, if it had a spare tire that is.
Agreed. I was responding to the post that it didn't matter whether you had an LSD or not.

Old 05-18-2022, 10:27 AM

AAA is fine and I've been a member since 1968, but sometimes they take several hours to get to you.
That's why I carry the proper "4-hour survival kit" and then let my wife drive after the tire is changed

Old 05-18-2022, 10:59 AM
CEB

I presume that you being an "old geezer" no longer stray to far from the homestead and can get along without some form of spare tire and wheel. You call AAA from the local Walmart parking lot and they respond within an hour to change you tire. Not so when when your stranded somewhere in the middle of the Nevada or New Mexico desert. It's foolish and irresponsible not to carry a spare so that you can change a flat not repairable by a can of "Slime". I don't want to hope the vehicle pulling over for me in the middle of the night is actually roadside assistance and not some "Slime" wanting to prey on me.

Old 05-18-2022, 11:17 AM

Get a roadside assistance program, .
Well here is what I think... I have AAA free towing up to 300 miles. But we travel in some CALIFORNIA highways that are over 50 miles from the nearest town. So I would really hate NOT to have a spare to wait for roadside assistance and possibly towing. And on a couple my cars I would never have them anything except flat bed transported.
Its simple these space saving tire do in fact work you just need to use common sense. limit your speed to a max of 45MPH and only use until you get your damaged tire repaired or replaced ASAP.

Old 05-18-2022, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Well here is what I think... I have AAA free towing up to 300 miles. But we travel in some CALIFORNIA highways that are over 50 miles from the nearest town. So I would really hate NOT to have a spare to wait for roadside assistance and possibly towing. And on a couple my cars I would never have them anything except flat bed transported.
Its simple these space saving tire do in fact work you just need to use common sense. limit your speed to a max of 45MPH and only use until you get your damaged tire repaired or replaced ASAP.
And then replace the safe saving spare as it should not be trusted for another trip.

Old 05-18-2022, 11:39 AM

And then replace the safe saving spare as it should not be trusted for another trip.
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-18-2022, 02:11 PM
CEB

Of course that depends on how far you've driven on the emergency spare. Most sources state drive no more than 50-70 miles.

Quick Reply: Spare wheel