Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 07:11 AM

But Subaru sure has a winner on it's hands with the Wilderness lines- I tried to order a new Subaru but got tired of waiting and waiting, Hench forth the Mazda- they had like 50 in stock... But so far I really like it ! - I leased since I know the resale value is not like Subaru but I have to say Mazda seems to make a nice car. Mine will be long gone before wheel bearings and plugs though.

Old 03-23-2022, 07:46 AM

I only wish they had 50 Mazda CX-5s in stock when I bought mine in October 2021. If I would have know that there was that kind of inventory in Virginia Beach, I would have taken a nuclear sub down to Newport News and saved myself a good few thousand dollars overpaid. It still gives me chest pains.

CX-5s are selling like hotcakes from what I can tell. I don't think their resale value will be too shabby. Maybe not precisely up there with Subaru.

Subaru's historical marketing strategy is rather interesting. They purposefully went after certain specific cultural niches in the U.S. market. I don't think anybody ever did that with an automobile marketing strategy before; i.e. going after precisely those niches.

Of course, perhaps I am wrong and someone else marketed that way before. But in that particular niche, Subaru's 'penetration' (pardon me) is very strong.

Old 03-23-2022, 11:33 AM

I hope you are right ! My Friend lives in NY - He just purchased a CX5 from Towne Mazda in Orchard Park- They have a great stock as well for those who are looking for choices plus went 750 below sticker.

How true- While there AWD is awesome, Subaru has done a great marketing job- Camping and pets- Who does not like that ?

Old 03-23-2022, 11:46 AM

They had another targeted market in the past. And you won't believe me, so Google it. They decided that people attracted to the same gender were a market to target, particularly women who are partners with other women. (Nothing wrong with that, of course!). But they went after that market heavily and succeeded in it. It was some portion of their sales, I don't know how much.

And, if you don't believe me, or even if you do, I encourage you to GOOGLE IT. As this was a real marketing focus.

Just a matter of interest. You wouldn't believe me without Google. Best, Reuben

Old 03-23-2022, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by reubenvabner
They had another targeted market in the past. And you won't believe me, so Google it. They decided that people attracted to the same gender were a market to target, particularly women who are partners with other women. (Nothing wrong with that, of course!). But they went after that market heavily and succeeded in it. It was some portion of their sales, I don't know how much.

And, if you don't believe me, or even if you do, I encourage you to GOOGLE IT. As this was a real marketing focus.

Further, at one time, and to some extent up to today, driving a Subaru made a statement about your orientation.

I kid you not my friend.

Old 03-23-2022, 11:51 AM

I remember a road in Maryland called 'Washboard Road'. Not the same as you are describing. It is a paved road with hillocks like very 50-100 yards or so and it goes on like that for a mile or two. Weird topography but no effect on a car like a real, dirt, washboard road as you are describing. I guess you can throw down $100K of pea gravel every year until you get it nice and level. That would be a good way to use your retirement money (not).

Could the original English Land Rover (or whatever the real thing was called) and the original Toyota Land Cruiser handle that kind of driving without the suspension going all to Hell in no time? If so, how did they manage that? Were the specs on the suspension components just that much higher?

They are county maintained but way back in the stripper pits so they MIGHT get graded once a year. As for the Land Rover and Land Cruiser, both were inspired by WW2 Jeeps. The Land Rover was an out right copy, but built with war surplus material. They were even painted Spitfire green because of the left over paint. The suspension wasn't great but it was so basic it didn't have much to go wrong. The Land Rovers were even made with aluminum bodies as steel was in short supply. The Toyota was inspired but not a real copy. They were pretty under powered but handled rough roads okay.

The farm has been in the family since 1938 or so. I remember the County drove a side road into it because of a cemetery on the property. I think I was 5 at the time. It's one of the few places I usually carry as it's so remote, but reasonably close to town, I've had trouble with meth labs up there.

Old 03-23-2022, 11:58 AM

Oh I believe it ! I bought them only for the safety when my kids were small and the ability to go through all kinds of weather plus an Outback can really hold a kayak nicely.

The other stuff, I cant disagree with ! It worked for them and that is OK- every business needs to find a niche or they are gone..

Old 03-23-2022, 12:00 PM

Years ago, prior to one host passing away, there was an NPR radio show called "Car Talk". I think the web site is still up. They had the top 10 Gay and Lesbian cars and the Subaru Outback was right up there along with the Jeep Wrangler. I've dealt with a couple of Subaru's over the years but that flat 4 engine just loves to blow head gaskets.

I had never heard of the CX-5 before I wanted to buy a late model car prior to retirement. The local Mazda dealer had two red ones and finally lowered the price and it fell in my search parameters. My main criteria was it had to be red. Experience has shown me that white and silver cars are cheap to build and paint but disappear on rainy days. When I drove a truck, the manager of one company had retired from the Air Force and spent the last 10 years in Alaska. All his equipment was painted red so that if you broke down or got stranded in heavy snow, it was more likely someone would see part of the truck showing.

As for resale, with the stupid high prices now, I've turned down offers of $3000 more than I paid for the car 2 1/2 years ago. It was tempting but I couldn't replace it and all the upgrades I've done would have to be done again.

Old 03-23-2022, 12:25 PM

Oh great my new Mazda is white LOL- I never thought about that and my wife drives a silver car !!!

I think Subaru solved the head gasket problem back in 2013 or so- while not perfect they seem to be ok now

I only hope my Mazda is just as trust worthy and trouble free- If so I will buy another one for sure- just most likely a turbo version. While the NA is good it's a bit slow to get up to speed..

Old 03-23-2022, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Grouch
Years ago, prior to one host passing away, there was an NPR radio show called "Car Talk". I think the web site is still up. They had the top 10 Gay and Lesbian cars and the Subaru Outback was right up there along with the Jeep Wrangler. I've dealt with a couple of Subaru's over the years but that flat 4 engine just loves to blow head gaskets.

I had never heard of the CX-5 before I wanted to buy a late model car prior to retirement. The local Mazda dealer had two red ones and finally lowered the price and it fell in my search parameters. My main criteria was it had to be red. Experience has shown me that white and silver cars are cheap to build and paint but disappear on rainy days. When I drove a truck, the manager of one company had retired from the Air Force and spent the last 10 years in Alaska. All his equipment was painted red so that if you broke down or got stranded in heavy snow, it was more likely someone would see part of the truck showing.

As for resale, with the stupid high prices now, I've turned down offers of $3000 more than I paid for the car 2 1/2 years ago. It was tempting but I couldn't replace it and all the upgrades I've done would have to be done again.
"Car Talk" was the most popular show NPR ever did. Maybe one of the more popular radio shows of all time. Those two guys (brothers) - "Fric and Frac"? or something like that were from Boston, MA. actually Cambridge, MA. I believe. They had total Boston accents. At least one of them went to MIT, possibly both, you can look it up.

It was like a complete accident, one of them went in for an audition or something and the show just took off. I think they made damned good money off of it and it went on for decades. It might still be on NPR (recorded old shows). 10:00 A.M. on Saturday. I used to listen whenever I was in my Car at that time. They were two funny guys. You would have thought they would have become rocket scientists coming from MIT, but after college they started some kind of community garage or something like that, to cut people a break. Very remarkable story. There Boston accents used to kill me.

Quick Reply: Spark plugs