Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2022, 04:14 PM

Wow, a question about spark plugs turns into an argument about turbochargers. Highway driving isn't the only time a turbo runs. Highway driving is actually pretty easy on engines. Look in the manual and severe duty is usually mentioned. This is in town most of the time. Like Taxi service. We all know how the CX-5 can move out. I'll admit I like to engage in....spirited....driving at times. I've sat at a light and when it turned green apply throttle. Often I'll see a huge SUV trying to pace me while the rest of traffic is way behind me.

Before age got to my knees, I also rode for many years. I've gone through three Kawasaki C-10 Concours. (ZG1000) My first one had 6000 miles when I bought it and 110,000 when I traded it in on a newer one. Those are the old Ninja 1000R muscle bike with a touring body. I've had soccer moms with a loaded min van try to stay with me from a light.

Each time throttle is applied, the turbo kicks in some. Stop and go driving, especially in hot weather, will cook any engine. The turbo engines are no different.

Old 03-24-2022, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Grouch
Wow, a question about spark plugs turns into an argument about turbochargers. Highway driving isn't the only time a turbo runs. Highway driving is actually pretty easy on engines. Look in the manual and severe duty is usually mentioned. This is in town most of the time. Like Taxi service. We all know how the CX-5 can move out. I'll admit I like to engage in....spirited....driving at times. I've sat at a light and when it turned green apply throttle. Often I'll see a huge SUV trying to pace me while the rest of traffic is way behind me.

Before age got to my knees, I also rode for many years. I've gone through three Kawasaki C-10 Concours. (ZG1000) My first one had 6000 miles when I bought it and 110,000 when I traded it in on a newer one. Those are the old Ninja 1000R muscle bike with a touring body. I've had soccer moms with a loaded min van try to stay with me from a light.

Each time throttle is applied, the turbo kicks in some. Stop and go driving, especially in hot weather, will cook any engine. The turbo engines are no different.
I think I did say in my first response that recommending spark plugs will cause debates. LOL
Yes for the most part highways are easy as long as you stay at or below 2500RPM and or 70mph. More then that the laws of physics start to effect everything........including wear. LOL

Grouch you don't give credit for the Mazda Skyactiv technology. I am ***** to if I reduced your turbo input you would likely not even notice it. Looking at a unsmoothed(most graph use SAE smoothing for the laymen to look at with simplified peak changes) DYNO you can see that the power effects of a turbo are somewhat gentle throttling up the engine in a normal none aggressive nature. The Mazda torque is well established on the Skyactiv engine and can carry very well its own without boosting to high or in most cases not at all. Without a boost gauge or a blow off real loud blow off valve (lol) how would you graph when the boost is coming in and how much to support the engines need for building more power.
The more I read the more I realize most owning a turbocharged engine likely don't even know when the boost is actually starting and at what level. LOL

Some of my riding toys were RG500 (built 128whp),750GSXR, fully built 500 interceptor, and my race bike 650CBR.
As for Turbochargers I rebuild stock ones and also custom build fully ported BWDs for a few platforms. But hey reading some members responses I guess one would think I know little about the subject of Turbocharged engines and spark plugs. LOL

Old 03-24-2022, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
I think I did say in my first response that recommending spark plugs will cause debates. LOL
Yes for the most part highways are easy as long as you stay at or below 2500RPM and or 70mph. More then that the laws of physics start to effect everything........including wear. LOL

Grouch you don't give credit for the Mazda Skyactiv technology. I am ***** to if I reduced your turbo input you would likely not even notice it. Looking at a unsmoothed(most graph use SAE smoothing for the laymen to look at with simplified peak changes) DYNO you can see that the power effects of a turbo are somewhat gentle throttling up the engine in a normal none aggressive nature. The Mazda torque is well established on the Skyactiv engine and can carry very well its own without boosting to high or in most cases not at all. Without a boost gauge or a blow off real loud blow off valve (lol) how would you graph when the boost is coming in and how much to support the engines need for building more power.
The more I read the more I realize most owning a turbocharged engine likely don't even know when the boost is actually starting and at what level. LOL

Some of my riding toys were RG500 (built 128whp),750GSXR, fully built 500 interceptor, and my race bike 650CBR.
As for Turbochargers I rebuild stock ones and also custom build fully ported BWDs for a few platforms. But hey reading some members responses I guess one would think I know little about the subject of Turbocharged engines and spark plugs. LOL

I'd never heard of Skyactive before I bought my CX-5. I've been meaning to look into how it works but it's sort of like the guy who could raise his arms and fly. Somebody asked him how he did it. He thought about it and didn't know. He never flew again.

My first and last bikes were Harley's but I've had numerous Honda's and Kawasaki's as well as one Yamaha. I had several that it felt like they were plotting against me and one, a 1980 KZ1000E that had been bored out over, that actually tried to kill me. I've been down at over 100 when I, along with two riding buddies hit some spilled vegetable oil on a curve.

I get people giving me grief from time to time. I just consider the source. Like the debate over cooler thermostats. Unless you flash the computer, it wastes fuel. I've gotten a reputation as the guy to go to with obscure problems because I look for the simple things first. I worked on a high performance Mercury Marauder once that was blowing blue flames out the carburetor. The guy had wired the plugs in a GM/Chrysler firing order. Ford does it differently. Since I retired I realized I don't have to be nice to people. When you don't work, you can't be fired.

Old 03-25-2022, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Grouch
I'd never heard of Skyactive before I bought my CX-5. I've been meaning to look into how it works but it's sort of like the guy who could raise his arms and fly. Somebody asked him how he did it. He thought about it and didn't know. He never flew again.

My first and last bikes were Harley's but I've had numerous Honda's and Kawasaki's as well as one Yamaha. I had several that it felt like they were plotting against me and one, a 1980 KZ1000E that had been bored out over, that actually tried to kill me. I've been down at over 100 when I, along with two riding buddies hit some spilled vegetable oil on a curve.

I get people giving me grief from time to time. I just consider the source. Like the debate over cooler thermostats. Unless you flash the computer, it wastes fuel. I've gotten a reputation as the guy to go to with obscure problems because I look for the simple things first. I worked on a high performance Mercury Marauder once that was blowing blue flames out the carburetor. The guy had wired the plugs in a GM/Chrysler firing order. Ford does it differently. Since I retired I realized I don't have to be nice to people. When you don't work, you can't be fired.
hahahaha your alright in my book for sure.....and a funny guy!

Old 03-26-2022, 05:28 PM

R
OLMAO dude you are one for the books. Try and actually do some thing for yourself instead of finding internet information to support you less than accurate information. **But no real empirical DATA to support many of their informational? LOL)

I doubt you even know without looking how hot a Turbo gets even with a daily driver and how that effects the temperature of the oil. The ECU calibration for Turbocharged engine compensates for the temperature increases and on daily driver lowers the power levels which effect MPG most noticed by thought that have turbocharged daily drivers.. I would also like for you to check out the oil tube to the Turbo on even a well kept and maintained Turbocharged daily driver and see for yourself how the oil does cook in the tube. You are living in a dream world to even state that it is not necessary or at least now that we talked about a simple practice to drive normally after having a little fun with a Turbocharged engine.

You should really consider finding better supporting examples besides an article written from other experienced technicians. LOL oh and that article talks about "COKEING" which is one part of my responses or do you need to go re-read my responses again. LOL

I am sorry but when it comes to members on "FORUMS" regarding anything you suggest having to do with technical information they really should think twice. LOL
Opinions are like A-holes my friend. Everyone has one....

I will continue to post what I wish on the forums, with, or without your approval. LOL....

Old 03-27-2022, 10:07 AM

hahahaha your alright in my book for sure.....and a funny guy!
You are BOTH funny guys! Kumbaya, My Lord, Kumbaya! Kumbaya, My Lord, Kumbaya!

We should Evening Prayers for everyone on this website.

Regards, RMV

Old 03-27-2022, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by reubenvabner

Regards, RMV
Yes indeed. As we post we find that some of us have a shared background and experience while other see and appreciate to be helped. But than there are some that post what they can find on the WWW (*Hen Solo) thinking it is accurate while not really helping but hindering helping members . I am happy that you are not one that does that. BTW I had not seen any updates on the UG?

Originally Posted by chickdr19
friend. Everyone has one.......

Last edited by Callisto; 03-27-2022 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-27-2022, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
Opinions are like A-holes my friend. Everyone has one....

I will continue to post what I wish on the forums, with, or without your approval. LOL....
I am sorry which part of my technical response did you interpret as opinion ? Please elaborate with your expertise? LOL This is where you should do the research on the subject matter and not ASSume my response on this subject of turbochargers was an opinion by me. LOL
And as for continued to post information you find instead of your own please do, it support what I said in my last response to you on this thread. lol
BTW here was my last BWD with a ported and polished interior as well exterior Turbocharger.
I have Turbo all over my house and garage in various states from stock to full rave versions. LOL
And if you want we can shift t talking about Superchargers I think I still have about 6-8 of them all in various state of upgrades as well? LOL
Oh and CorkSport has an upcoming Turbo kit for the Mazda 3 2.5 Skyactiv engine to which I will be upgrading the Turbo it comes with to a BWD with a fully ported and polished turbo casting/body and a custom ECU performance calibration Tune of my own adjustments

Other performance Turbocharger I have done

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________

So ya you can shake my hand on what my experience level is regarding Turbocharges is. ROLMAO

Last edited by Callisto; 03-27-2022 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-27-2022, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by reubenvabner

Regards, RMV

Goodness, I'll bet you're the life of the party at funerals.

You remind me of some guys on the crew I used to run. Also why I retired.