Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Tail lights Mazda CX 5

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2021, 08:00 AM
Default Tail lights Mazda CX 5

Hi Guys
Mike here.
I am from South Africa and recently bought a pre-owned CX 5 2.2 diesel. Lovely smooth engine and I love the power and the solid ride. Impressed with the fuel consumption (6.5 l per 100 km) on a recent 800 km trip. One odd thing though: my wife was following me in her car before the trip and noticed that the rear tail lights were not glowing red but seem to be glowing white. I pulled in at the local Mazda dealer and asked for advice. A techie looked at the back of the car and advised me that was correct ie the big centre clear lens was glowing white which he said would change to red at night! So I went away satisfied and went home to pack for our trip. Left the following morning in rain and fog. It rained most of the trip so I used the lights 90% of the time. In Cape Town my brother in law followed us to a local wine farm and also remarked on the odd taillight setup. We consulted the online manual and it clearly indicates that the centre clear lens is the tail light/brake light BUT THIS IS WRONG!! Checked my son in laws CX 3 and realized that the centre clear lens is for the indicator ! Opened the clusters up and found some fool had swapped the bulbs around!! I swopped them back and the problem is solved. However, this was actually a dangerous situation which could have resulted in an accident give the challenging driving conditions conditions.
Problem here is that the manual is incorrect plus the bulb sockets are very similar and so can easily be swapped around. So if you need to replace rear bulbs be very careful about which one goes where!

Old 12-25-2021, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Miketh
Hi Guys
Mike here.
I am from South Africa and recently bought a pre-owned CX 5 2.2 diesel. Lovely smooth engine and I love the power and the solid ride. Impressed with the fuel consumption (6.5 l per 100 km) on a recent 800 km trip. One odd thing though: my wife was following me in her car before the trip and noticed that the rear tail lights were not glowing red but seem to be glowing white. I pulled in at the local Mazda dealer and asked for advice. A techie looked at the back of the car and advised me that was correct ie the big centre clear lens was glowing white which he said would change to red at night! So I went away satisfied and went home to pack for our trip. Left the following morning in rain and fog. It rained most of the trip so I used the lights 90% of the time. In Cape Town my brother in law followed us to a local wine farm and also remarked on the odd taillight setup. We consulted the online manual and it clearly indicates that the centre clear lens is the tail light/brake light BUT THIS IS WRONG!! Checked my son in laws CX 3 and realized that the centre clear lens is for the indicator ! Opened the clusters up and found some fool had swapped the bulbs around!! I swopped them back and the problem is solved. However, this was actually a dangerous situation which could have resulted in an accident give the challenging driving conditions conditions.
Problem here is that the manual is incorrect plus the bulb sockets are very similar and so can easily be swapped around. So if you need to replace rear bulbs be very careful about which one goes where!
Good work sir !