Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Test drove a 2017 Touring with premium pkg today

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 04:51 PM
Default Test drove a 2017 Touring with premium pkg today

It was comfortable, I like the seats, pleather and fake suede, and the general layout and function. Did some highway and local streets. Do not see the need to go with a select GT, not a big tech nerd. The vehicle is completely adequate for my wants and needs.Styling is very good.

What I did not like.....no fog lights, sparkly paint (good luck touching up or matching when it gets scratched). 17 inch wheels and tires. No lumbar support or adjustment.

2018s will not be out until March so no so called year end deals to be had. The test ride was $28,990. If we can get down in the $27's I may buy.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:15 PM

Fog lights can be added by the dealer or yourself. 19" GT take-offs are readily available on ebay and elsewhere for about a grand (you can resell the 17s the same way, but they won't command the same $$$-they will work on Gen 1 CX-5s as well though) and by "sparkly paint", I assume you're referring to the two pearlescent colors (red and white) with the $300 upcharge. So stay away from those and go with one of the standard mica 2-stage paint colors. They touch up OK. As for lumbar support, there is manual adjustment on the driver's seat.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:51 PM
Default Oh noz, the paint in the mica black was sparkly in the sun

Originally Posted by paris1
Fog lights can be added by the dealer or yourself. 19" GT take-offs are readily available on ebay and elsewhere for about a grand (you can resell the 17s the same way, but they won't command the same $$$-they will work on Gen 1 CX-5s as well though) and by "sparkly paint", I assume you're referring to the two pearlescent colors (red and white) with the $300 upcharge. So stay away from those and go with one of the standard mica 2-stage paint colors. They touch up OK. As for lumbar support, there is manual adjustment on the driver's seat.
it has some type of metal flake in it, looks like glitter in the paint. I ran a detail shop for 5 years so know a little about paint. The car I tested was black on black in and out.

Are the fogs expensive since they are LED?

Wheels, might do a combo package from Discount Tire Direct once the stocks wear down, might keep them for a set of winter tires.

I tried the lumbar support lever, seemed to just push me forward some.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Road Warrior
it has some type of metal flake in it, looks like glitter in the paint. I ran a detail shop for 5 years so know a little about paint. The car I tested was black on black in and out.
Don't know what to tell you. Some are called mics, others metallic. They all have some type of metalflake in them. That's how most cars are these days.
Are the fogs expensive since they are LED?
The Google search function on my computer is having a meltdown right now, but they're somewhere in the $250-$300 range, plus installation.
Wheels, might do a combo package from Discount Tire Direct once the stocks wear down, might keep them for a set of winter tires.
That's what smart owners are doing, assuming they have a need for winter rubber.
I tried the lumbar support lever, seemed to just push me forward some.
Don't really know what you're expecting here. Isn't that what a lumber adjuster typically does-push forward. It's the same design they've used since the intro of the CX-5 in 2013. Works for me!

Old 10-01-2017, 12:34 PM

The lumbar did not feel like lumbar, more like mid back getting pushed away from the lumbar section of seat. My Nissan has a decent one. Of course I was fiddling with it while I was trying to drive so was not very successful with the adjustment and left it alone.

Rubber, I work up in snow country at all hours of the day or night and not getting there due to snow is not an option. Also part of the reason I'm going AWD.

The sparkle in the paint was rainbowed in nature and pronounced. My MX5 is black, no flake at all in the color. It is just one of those things I would rather not see in paint.