Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Is there really no way to turn off all exterior lights?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2020 | 08:02 PM
|
Default Is there really no way to turn off all exterior lights?

Looking in the manual it appears there is no way to drive with all exterior lights off. Tried every position and even when "off" as soon as you start moving the DL come on. We were in a drive thru Christmas light display where they were requesting we drive at about 3 mph with exterior lights off. Needless to say it was embarrassing and annoying to not find a way to do that.

Old 12-23-2020 | 08:04 AM

Daytime running lights are common in many cars now and required in Europe. I'm not aware of any way to override them.

Old 12-23-2020 | 12:30 PM
BWJ

Old 12-23-2020 | 02:16 PM
|

So looks like we are out of luck as far as turning off all lights as the running lights will turn on as soon as you start moving regardless of switch setting. Our 2018 GMC Canyon makes it easy to turn off all lights including DRL. (Exception is Canadian models). Very annoying, as this also means if we pull into a driveway or in front of a restaurant window for example we can't kill the headlights or DRL. Nanny controls gone too far. Love the CX-5 otherwise.*1 The lights are turned on while the vehicle is driven.

From the above post it appears the dealer can deactivate the DRL, but that is not at all what I want, I simply want to be able to turn them off on rare occasions, not permanently disable DRL.

*2 The lights are turned on by the auto light function.

*3 The lights are turned on while the vehicle is driven, and turned off when the headlights are turned on by the auto light function

*4 The lights are turned on for the specified period by the auto headlight off function.

Last edited by C264; 12-23-2020 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-23-2020 | 11:59 PM

deleted my response may be to controversial

Last edited by Callisto; 12-24-2020 at 12:05 AM.
Old 12-24-2020 | 10:10 AM
|

OK it turns out there are hundreds of other posts on this on other forums and how to turn off DRL (and then use Halo only as DRL). I will give that a try and see how if it affects any other operation of the light switch, as there was some conflicting information on that.

Old 12-24-2020 | 06:01 PM

Leave the damn DRL on.It's a good safety thingeeeeeeeee.

Old 12-25-2020 | 02:30 PM
|

Originally Posted by bobm
Leave the damn DRL on.It's a good safety thingeeeeeeeee.
Did you read my first post?? There are times when it is annoying and/or required to turn off headlights. Just to be clear, like when pulling into driveway and you don't want to shine your headlights through neighboring windows, or diagonal parking in front of restaurant windows. Two gated communities we visit request you turn off your headlights going through the far lane so they can see your gate pass as you approach. Used it many times in my GMC. From the posts I have seen I am not alone in wanting control over DRL.

Want this (from GMC manual describing two of the headlight switch actions:O : Turns off the automatic

headlamps and Daytime Running

Lamps (DRL). Turn the headlamp

control to O again to turn the

automatic headlamps or DRL

back on.

For vehicles first sold in Canada, off

will only work when the vehicle is in

P (Park).

00: Turns on the parking lamps

including all lamps, except the

headlamps.

Last edited by C264; 12-25-2020 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-27-2020 | 03:48 AM
BWJ
Old 12-27-2020 | 11:08 AM
|

Thanks for the link. That works, but I would like to have DRL 95% of the time. May investigate whether I can add a switch inline with DRL fuse and not get an error, obviously i can test that by simply pulling the fuse.

I thought it was funny that the poster specifically had the request "This thread is not for the debate of disabling the daytime running lights. If you want to do that, start a different thread." and yet the pontificators could not resist on debating that anyway LOL

Quick Reply: Is there really no way to turn off all exterior lights?