Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Torn on what to do!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 09:27 PM
Default Torn on what to do!

Hi!

I haven't purchased a Mazda yet...but by the end of this week I will have! I am just not sure which one.
I currently drive a 2011 KIA Sorento. Hate KIA and decided to get a new car. It is between the CX5 or 3. Both are GS models I believe (the mid package).
Basically, I was interested in the Mazda3 as I have no kids, and thought that I didn't need a SUV. Test drove it and actually really liked it.
BUT, then the CX5 is also very nice. And I think I would regret getting the 3 in the long run...
I enjoy being high up when I drive...It's really just me in the vehicle, though.

The CX5 would only be $40 more a month than the 3 (how crazy is that...super cheap!)
I thought that the 3 would be better on gas, too.

Anyway...I'm leaning more towards the CX5, but am not sure what to do.

Oh, and I am getting it in red ($300 extra, but they will give it to me for 0$)...does owning a red vehicle = more insurance? I live in Ontario, Canada btw.

Thanks for your help!

Manda

Old 05-20-2014, 04:50 PM

I had a ford Explorer and traded it for a sonata sedan and I could not get over the feeling of being so low to the ground and it's silly but I really missed my rear windshield wiper plsu I found I could not buy the things I wanted since they would not fit in the trunk! I think its better to get a car that can be versatile and grow with you as you need it. The CX-5 gets great gas mileage and don't be like me and lose $$ by making a mistake with a smaller car. What did you end up doing?

Old 05-20-2014, 06:12 PM

The 3 will be significantly better on gas (better MPG), if that's important.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by CX-SV
The 3 will be significantly better on gas (better MPG), if that's important.

What he said, however, if you want to carry anything large, you will wish you got the CX-5 with those nifty rear seats seat . Also if you drive in snow, you have higher ground clearance and the option of AWD (but that hurts mileage even more).

The resale will hold a bit better with CX-5 since there is a little less competition, and is a hot seller.

If you are torn between these two great vehicles and best MPG isn't your ultimate goal, I would go for the CX-5 and you still have class leader in MPG.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:24 PM

Getting a red car doesn't increase your insurance premiums - at least not in the USA but I'm pretty sure it's the same in Canada. I used to be a licensed insurance agent so take it for what it's worth.

I just picked up my 2015 CX-5 GT AWD in Meteor Gray Mica and so far I love it! I traded in my 2012 Honda Accord Coupe so having the extra room is definitely a plus.

With that said, you should buy the car that makes the most sense for you. Really depends on your lifestyle. For me, my wife and I love to go camping so having the extra space is nice to haul our gear. We have a history of needing more space so the CX-5 made perfect sense for us. If all you do is drive to the grocery store or around town, then the 3 is probably the right car.

Whether you get a 3 or the CX-5, I think you'll be pretty happy either way!