Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Trailer Hitch aftermarket or OEM

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 02:07 PM
Default Trailer Hitch aftermarket or OEM

Hello All, I am planning to put a hitch on my wife 2020 CX5 and want to see which one (brand) most people like and recommend? I have Curt trailer hitch on my 2015 CRV and it's ok. Want to see is it worth it to pay more to get the OEM version. Thanks,

Old 04-22-2021, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Lai1800
Hello All, I am planning to put a hitch on my wife 2020 CX5 and want to see which one (brand) most people like and recommend? I have Curt trailer hitch on my 2015 CRV and it's ok. Want to see is it worth it to pay more to get the OEM version. Thanks,
Doubt the factory hitch is any better than the brand you've used before. I got the Mazda hitch when I ordered my CX-5.
Minor adjustment was needed as the turbo exhaust system routes a bit different than the non-turbo; rattle going over a bump.

My 2¢

Old 04-23-2021, 08:04 AM

Check out etrailer.com 's offerings. Their instruction videos are top notch. And they price matched a lower price from Amazon with just an email request. All I need is a Class II for a bike rack. I'd installed a Drawtite on my Toyota Matrix and now a Curt on 2021 CX-5 Touring. The Mazda was a bit more involved as the exhaust had to be lowered (sounds worse than it was) but otherwise straight forward install. I can't imagine that OEM is any better and as with most dealer options, the mark up has to be considerable.

Old 04-23-2021, 07:23 PM

The "factory" Mazda hitch is a 1-1/4"x1-1/4" receiver.
I wanted a 2x2, so I had to go with one of the other brands. My installer liked DrawTite, so far, its been fine.

Old 04-23-2021, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by fishtoprecords
The "factory" Mazda hitch is a 1-1/4"x1-1/4" receiver.
I wanted a 2x2, so I had to go with one of the other brands. My installer liked DrawTite, so far, its been fine.
My dealer only stocked the larger receiver. I didn't care my self which as I rarely tow and only light loads.

My 2¢

Old 04-27-2021, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Lai1800
I would absolutely go after market! The OEM version requires a cut out on your bumper and it looks awful. I have the 2" Curt 13315 and it's great, very low profile and no mod necessary, flush with the bumper. U-haul actually has the best hitch & install packages.

Old 04-27-2021, 01:23 PM

+1 on aftermarket. I had a Draw-tite on my Toyota Matrix. The CX-5 just got a Curt C12170 (1 1/4", never tow, just haul bikes). Install was fairly straight forward, small bottom trim from the bottom rear of the bumper needed to be removed and the exhaust had to be lowered. But other than a bit of difficulty working while on my back with the hitch resting on my chest, the entire process took less than 1 hour. Etrailer has a great step by step video.

Old 04-28-2021, 10:03 AM

+1 on aftermarket for the 2x2 Class 3 receiver being much more useful than the 1.25x1.25, especially for bike racks. 2x2 really opens up your options.

Old 05-04-2021, 08:27 AM

+2 on Draw-Tite aftermarket Class III (2" x 2") receiver. I installed it in my driveway last Saturday. Put the rear on jack stands and chocked the front wheels. Took about 2 hours total, but I went slowly. Fits perfectly. We are going to use it this coming weekend to haul our 2 bikes (new RockyMounts Monorail 2-Bike rack) out to the boonies...

Old 05-05-2021, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by dlsea
I would absolutely go after market! The OEM version requires a cut out on your bumper and it looks awful. I have the 2" Curt 13315 and it's great, very low profile and no mod necessary, flush with the bumper. U-haul actually has the best hitch & install packages.
Do you have any photos of yours?

Quick Reply: Trailer Hitch aftermarket or OEM