Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Uncomfortable seats in 2019 cx-5?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 01:40 PM
Default Uncomfortable seats in 2019 cx-5?

Our 2016 CX-5 lease was up, so we had to get the 2019. We loved the 2016 CX-5 so much there really wasnt another vehicle that we seriously looked at. The 2016 was sporty, had some punch for a 4 cyl, the AWD was great, it was super comfortable for long trips, got pretty good MPG too.
The 2019 has some really nice safety upgrades. The 2016 we had was a Touring model, we got upgraded to a Grand Touring model for our 2019 lease. I like the sunroof and the 19" wheels but otherwise I like our previous 2016 CX-5 Touring model better. The most noticeable thing, is the drivers seat in the 2019 is uncomfortable. It feels like Im hanging off it, its just a smaller, harder seat. The interior feels more upscale, but it drives like a luxury truck. Everything is wider, flatter, no sexy curves. The dashboard was so simple and easy to navigate on the 2016, now its got stuff everywhere, have to hunt to find things. the middle console is wider giving less leg room. Im 6'2" and abt 240 so the more room up front the better. I like the extra safety features, but overall I like the 2016 Touring alot better.

Anyone else feel that way about the seat and new styling changes?

Old 01-14-2020, 01:59 PM

Did you test drive the 2019 first?
I have a 19 GTR, for me, the seats are just fine. It actually steers and handles way better than most similar sized SUV's.

Old 01-14-2020, 02:03 PM

I didnt. I just assumed it would be as good or better than the 2016. Our sales agent went out of his way to get us a great deal so we just took it. I mean its not undriveable, but having driven the 2016 for 3 years I just expected it to be at least as good. Im mostly shocked at how the seats are stiff and uncomfortable.

Old 01-14-2020, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by husker3in4
I didnt. I just assumed it would be as good or better than the 2016. Our sales agent went out of his way to get us a great deal so we just took it. I mean its not undriveable, but having driven the 2016 for 3 years I just expected it to be at least as good. Im mostly shocked at how the seats are stiff and uncomfortable.
You are not the only one to bring this up...Check this thread: https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...t-hurts-42959/

Old 01-14-2020, 06:37 PM

Yes, very uncomfortable for me and it is the main negative thing I have to say about the CX-5. Otherwise, it's a great SUV.

Old 01-15-2020, 06:02 AM

I find the cloth seats very comfortable, the Touring seats less so, and the leather seats firmer but just as comfortable as the cloth seats.

Test drive is a must have. You could have bought out your lease if you like the 1st gen better. However, you do now have more safety features with the current gen radar and camera AEB systems. Mazda does an excellent job tuning these and I have only experienced a few false positives. Lane keep assist works well also.

System in action at 1:56:

Talking about ride and comfort, you'll have a better ride with 17" wheels/tires than 19" wheels/tires. I wouldn't buy the GT for this reason, it wouldn't make sense for me to spend more money on something I don't want. Same thing with the sunroof which I don't want.

Nothing that can't be changed with a change in wheels/tires, personally, I am considering changing to a lightweight Japanese 16" alloy wheel when the factory tires are worn.

Last edited by Chocolate; 01-15-2020 at 07:51 AM.
Old 11-29-2020, 12:00 PM

Hopefully by now you were able to figure out the hard/uncomfortable seat issue. But, if not, please read on. I just bought a CX-5 Signature this summer but have not used it much due to COVID travel restrictions. I, too, noticed the seats were unusually uncomfortable at first but did not have enough drive time to figure things out, but I eventually did, at least for me. Keep in mind, I’m only 5’11 and 175 lbs, but even for me those seats were unusually uncomfortable at first. They sort of wedge you in, compressing your body both on the sides due to the narrowness of the seats and in your lower back. What I did was instead of driving with a seat that was raised to a high level and seat back more vertical, I lowered the seat a lot, just so that I would no longer feel my lower thigh compressed on the edge of the seat. In other words, my lower thigh would be ever so slightly lifted up. You may need to tweak the seat position forwards or backwards to realize this, in addition to lowering the seat. Then I reclined the seat into a race car driver position (that’s exaggerated, but you get the point). You recline it enough to where your weight is now gently distributed up and down your back. You’ll know this is happening if you feel light pressure from your lower back to your shoulder blades. From that point on the experience with these seats was like night and day. The body weight is much better distributed and the legs no longer get squeezed into the seats. I drove from Los Angeles to Sacramento and back, a 365 mile journey each way, with absolutely no discomfort other than wanting to get out and walk now and then due to the length of the drive. I can also get in and out of the seats much easier in this configuration. Hopefully this might help you or others who have reported this common issue with the seats.