Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Updating Nav System SD Card

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2022, 01:15 PM
Default Updating Nav System SD Card

I’ve got a 2019 CX-5. I decided to update the Nav system maps for the first time today before the 3-year free subscription expires. I downloaded the Mazda toolbox and followed all the directions to update my SD card. This is the same original card that came with the car when I bought it. At the end of the process I got a screen message saying the SD update was successful. I re-inserted the card in my car and started the engine. The screen showed a “navigation loading” message for about 45 minutes before I gave up and turned off the engine. I’ve checked the online forum boards and confirmed that the card is unlocked and the contacts are clean. I’m curious if it is normal to take this long to load after updating the SD card. Is it taking an unusually long time because it’s processing 3 years of updates at once? Do I need to do something else on my end to finish loading? Am I being impatient? Would appreciate any advice from others. Thanks in advance!

Old 02-20-2022, 05:23 PM

I never had that issue with my '19 when I did updates. Maybe try going through the toolbox again to make sure the file is good?

Old 02-21-2022, 07:00 AM

No, this is not normal, and it shouldn't take nearly that long!

I had a similar issue with my 2016 when I attempted to update the OEM nav card just before the 3-year time period was up.

Prior to this I had updated the card twice with no issues. When I attempted the final update, the ToolBox told me that there was one update left for my card and would I like to update at this time? I told it to do the update, all seemed to go as expected. It ran through the process but when it was completed the version on the card was the same as when I started. I tried it again with the same result. No update. I contacted Mazda and told them what was going on and was told that my card was bad and to bring the CX into my local dealer for a swap. I did and after that I could update the card for the final time.

Old 02-21-2022, 10:09 AM

Thanks for the feedback. The plot thickens….

I tried updating the card again as suggested by chickdr19. The Mazda toolbox says I have the latest update and would not let me reinstall. So I put the card back in the car and tried again. Got the “Navigation Loading” spinning wheel again. I realized I was in my garage so maybe I need to be in an open area with line of sight to satellites. So I moved my car and tried again. No luck.

Just for giggles I went back to the Mazda Toolbox and found a “SD Diagnostic” button. So I tried it and got an “SD Card Invalid” error message. I also found a link to Customer Care within the toolbox so I’ve sent them a note for advice. We shall see what they say but it sounds like I may have a similar problem as Conrad 16.5. I’ll probably end up at the dealer soon. Will keep you posted…

Old 02-21-2022, 01:58 PM

That stinks. Sorry you are having an issue. If for some reason the dealer won't help you, consider buying a replacement card on Amazon/Ebay before shelling out 400 at the dealer (they are about 50 bucks online). I also understand you can clone you card (I need to do this with mine) so you have a backup available should the SD card go bad as yours did.

Old 02-21-2022, 04:06 PM

Customer Care responded and told me to check to car’s software version. Apparently I should be running V.74. Any software versions below that require dealer intervention. Just checked and I’m running V.70. So I’m going to make a service appointment and let them take it from here. It’s still under warranty so hopefully this will be a low/no cost fix.

Thanks to both of you for your feedback. I appreciate the tips!

Old 02-22-2022, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by JH1027
Customer Care responded and told me to check to car’s software version. Apparently I should be running V.74. Any software versions below that require dealer intervention. Just checked and I’m running V.70. So I’m going to make a service appointment and let them take it from here. It’s still under warranty so hopefully this will be a low/no cost fix.

Thanks to both of you for your feedback. I appreciate the tips!
I understand that's what you were told but don't be surprised if the fix doesn't work. Both my CX and my MX have the same firmware versions, they've never been updated so it's the version that came with the cars in 2016 and both work fine and aside from the issue I mentioned above, updated as expected.

Old 02-22-2022, 09:00 PM
Pep
Default Navigation SD Card

I just purchased a 2022 CX-5 Carbon and opted not to purchase the navigation option.
If I download the Toolbox to my computer and purchase the SD card from Amazon will I be able to download the navigation info and use the card?

Old 02-22-2022, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Pep
I just purchased a 2022 CX-5 Carbon and opted not to purchase the navigation option.
If I download the Toolbox to my computer and purchase the SD card from Amazon will I be able to download the navigation info and use the card?
You buy the card with navigation on it already, just like the factory card at the dealer. Get the toolbox app on your computer for updates

Old 03-13-2022, 02:56 PM

Yes updates are no problem on Mazda toolbox. I bought my cards on ali express. Was the best price I could find. $26.92 with shipping to Canada. Bought 2 both worked and updated fine. TD2K 66 EZ1 is the right card for 2021 2022 cx5 and cx9 with the 10 in display, North America maps Takes about 3 weeks to get the cards from China. Nav cards for most makes and models are available.
Price has changed a bit since I purchased but they are still the best price.
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/10050...21ef5e5bn2IBq0

Last edited by Zoommer1; 03-13-2022 at 03:19 PM. Reason: adding info

Quick Reply: Updating Nav System SD Card