Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

US version of cx 5 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2021, 09:36 PM
Default US version of cx 5 Diesel

I have an opportunity to buy a 2019 cx 5 diesel in california, anyone here own one and have you had any issues, comments, thanks

Old 08-13-2021, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

All I know is it was heavily detuned from the JDM version. Both power & torque is poor. Unless you plan on a lot of highway driving its not really worth it. Its definitely not suited for round town driving.

Old 08-13-2021, 07:31 AM

I was looking forward to a CX-5 diesel after seeing the disappointing horsepower and torque numbers, I decided to move on. At least the head gasket issues of the early engines have been resolved, but that wasn't enough to make me want one.

Old 08-13-2021, 07:29 PM

I realize all of that, does anyone here actually own one who can speak of reliability?

Old 08-14-2021, 03:58 AM
Super Moderator

I don't own the diesel version, but I work on them almost every day.

Old 08-14-2021, 08:50 AM

and working on them do you find any issues that come up beyond routine maintainence that I should be aware of?

Old 08-14-2021, 12:46 PM

I would stay away from diesel. Especially here in the US. Just my two cents.

Old 08-14-2021, 01:20 PM

why details please

Old 08-14-2021, 05:32 PM

I owned a diesel before, not Mazda though, a VW Golf. VW is the master of diesel

Returned the car after the diesel scandal and got a regular gas version. During my time of ownership I did not like the following:

1. Car would not heat up in the winter as quick as a regular gas car, so it was quite a bit of cold during the first 15-20 minutes of my commute
2. MPG was good, but diesel in my area is more expensive than regular gas, so that did offset the savings
3. The car was more noisier compared to a regular gas car
4. Got more environmental conscious lately, so I am leaning more towards hybrid or full electric cars now. Diesel is about to be phased out soon anyways, at least Europe is heading that direction and most likely the US will some time soon.

As I said, just my personal opinion, everybody has his/her own preferences.

Old 08-14-2021, 06:06 PM

yes I am extremely familar with diesels, I love diesels , I currently have a 2018 bmw X 5 diesel which is more car than I need, I also have an electric car for most driving, I like the cx 5 (owned one) but would need the diesel to tow a 3000 pound trailer occasionally, I need this until the cybertruck all electric pickup I ordered comes in.
I can buy a cx5 diesel for under 30k with low miles, I really need to know if their have been any mechanical issues with the diesel cx 5, can anyone offer insight, I don't need help with logical emotional reasons just personal experienced with this car, hard for me to believe no one on this forum owns the diesel.

Quick Reply: US version of cx 5 Diesel