Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Wet clutch logic

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2023, 04:46 PM
Default Wet clutch logic

As I understand it, this Skyactiv 6 speed auto has a direct drive clutch pack inside of the torque converter that engages and disengages based upon some system logic. Obviously at very slow speeds, it will disengage. However, I actually prefer the fully buffered feel of a regular automatic. My old Explorer was buttery smooth at low speeds, parking lot, tight spots, low speed traffic jams, etc. Add some throttle, smooth go, almost felt like a thrust based propulsion. This Mazda is jerky by comparison and I can feel the difference when the clutch is locked and when it's not. It's like having a standard transmission and not pushing the clutch in when feathering the throttle at low speeds, it's got that same direct drive jerk. In fact, I can even hear it lock and unlock when I'm doing delicate on/off throttle slow speed stuff. This is actually my least favorite thing about the vehicle. I am hoping I will get used to it. It's just jerky and sloppy feeling compared to a regular TC transmission.

Just curious if anyone knows the system logic of when the clutch is engaged and when it isn't. Obviously it's being done by the computer, so it's looking at a set of criteria i.e. vehicle speed, throttle position, and perhaps other inputs to decide when to lock that clutch and when to release it. I would like to understand more about this. I swear there are times when I hear it engage and disengage several times per second. Am I going nuts? This was a stupid idea on the part of Mazda, IMO. I would have much preferred a normal TC with the buttery smooth feel.

Last edited by bryris; 05-10-2023 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-11-2023, 10:58 AM
Cool

As I recall the clutch engages at 5 mph and below.