Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Where to tap in for a cut-off switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 09:20 PM
Default Where to tap in for a cut-off switch

Hi,
My wife just got a beautiful 2015 XC-5 the other day. The car has just over 28,000 and drives extremely nicely.
I want to put a fuel or ignition cut off switch and I was wondering which you feel is best and where to find the wire that needs to be cut. I was thinking by the inertia switch. Please confirm its location.
Thank you very much!

Old 01-19-2020, 05:47 AM
Super Moderator

Why, when the vehicle has a immobiliser from factory?

Old 01-19-2020, 07:41 AM

Is theft of CX-5's that big of an issue where you live?

Old 01-19-2020, 10:14 AM

The cx-5 already has this... built in ... and let’s face it... a 5 yr old cx-5 isnt exactly high on anyone’s theft list... even a new cx-5 isnt high on “cars stolen list”

Old 01-20-2020, 08:05 PM

Yes where I live theft rate is high. The car thieves have computers to bypass the immobilizers.

Does anyone have an answer to my question?

Old 01-21-2020, 07:04 AM

if someone REALLY wants your 5-year-old cx-5 they are going to take it.. via flatbed truck or otherwise. anything you are thinking of they to be more "safe" they arent have a way around.. and lets face it.. your going to mount the switch in an accessible location, or getting in and driving your cx-5 would become a hassle.. with that being said.. whats going to stop them from simply looking in the location(s) your thinking of.. and if you make the location hard to get too, then you are making driving your cx-5 more of a hassle . so in the end you have to ask yourself.. (or research) what are the common cars stolen in my area.. and does anyone want to steal a 5 year old mazda cx-5

Old 01-21-2020, 11:51 PM

It’s amazing that no one wants to answer me. For the record I never asked for anyone’s opinion regarding what I want to do.

For the record I sell devices for cars that can trigger a relay (among other things) by telephone. As a result this unit can shut off a car at anytime I desire (although the car would have to be traveling below 20 mph). Since I always have a number of these in stock at any given time I can install one in my car at no cost to me (I will simply always have one less in stock). Since I do not have to toggle a switch to start my car I can put this device anywhere I choose in the car. I would only use this cutoff relay if my car got stolen.

Old 01-22-2020, 08:45 PM

Start the car up, and try removing one fuse at a time from either the interior fuse box or the one under the hood. See which one makes the engine stall. Then tap into that circuit. DISCLAIMER: messing with modern automotive wiring can be dangerous if your device, for example, fails and kills the power while you're trying to merge on the highway, etc....

Old 01-26-2020, 10:36 AM

@Jomo , "It’s amazing that no one wants to answer me. For the record I never asked for anyone’s opinion regarding what I want to do."
FYI that's not how a forum works. This isn't Information Please. I'm with @samiam_68 - what you want to do sounds like amateur hour. If it was a neat feature, car manufacturers would have incorporated it into their vehicles from birth. The only recognized system that does this job and is supported by law enforcement is:https://www.lojack.com/ and GM's Onstar of course. I'm curious though. How does your system "know" that the vehicle is traveling under 20 mph as the activation threshold? Is there a GPS locator involved too?

Old 01-26-2020, 01:41 PM

Yes there is a gps locator with this unit. It has many features.
Only a few selected companies get to have their system installed on new cars like Onstar. Let's face it, there are many many aftermarket products that are good. Why can't this unit be one of them?

Quick Reply: Where to tap in for a cut-off switch