Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Where to tap in for a cut-off switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 07:59 PM
Default Late to the party

While this is very late at responding I was actually looking at a few thread and came upon this one which interested me.

Soooooooo here the thing what you want to do is fine and is done more often then I see a few other member are aware of. On my own car I have it added into the alarm system which is separate and can not easily be gotten to. Without the remote set for my car you will NOT get the engine started. And if you did try to access it the alarm would go off I would get a notification on my cell phone and the onboard camera would start recording and also sending my live feed. LOL

As for a suggestion I would say use the fuel rely and install a simple 2 wire harness on the supply power side with a simple on/off button. You can locate the switch in many places even a veteran THIEF would not really take the time to look for it not to mention why would they even think on a car less then 10 years old such a switch is in existence.

Old 05-21-2024, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jomo
It’s amazing that no one wants to answer me. For the record I never asked for anyone’s opinion regarding what I want to do.

For the record I sell devices for cars that can trigger a relay (among other things) by telephone. As a result this unit can shut off a car at anytime I desire (although the car would have to be traveling below 20 mph). Since I always have a number of these in stock at any given time I can install one in my car at no cost to me (I will simply always have one less in stock). Since I do not have to toggle a switch to start my car I can put this device anywhere I choose in the car. I would only use this cutoff relay if my car got stolen.
Im wanting to do this too. i wish people just stop typing or answering if they cant answer the question its just stupid. Still waiting though. 😅

Old 05-21-2024, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Arkainzeye
The cx-5 already has this... built in ... and let’s face it... a 5 yr old cx-5 isnt exactly high on anyone’s theft list... even a new cx-5 isnt high on “cars stolen list”
the immobilizer nowadays are easy to hack you dont even need the actual key for your info and most of the car theft usually take your car for parting out or a getaway car.

Last edited by Ashton232; 05-21-2024 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-31-2024, 02:33 AM

Most of the large Freightliners have switches to turn off the vehicle. They run it using the negative battery terminal. I believe it's called a "Shut off switch". Most were 1/4 turn rotary switch. People would sometimes be very creative in the switches placement! You won't need one as big as a "Tractor" with 4- 1000 CCA batteries. Good luck!

Old 05-31-2024, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Ashton232
Im wanting to do this too. i wish people just stop typing or answering if they cant answer the question its just stupid. Still waiting though. 😅
First you are a new members and really have no place criticizing veteran members on this thread or forum as a whole. Most of the responses so far are actually helpful if not very good advise!!!
The question is not only easy for someone like me but NOT YOU, and this is also the case for most DIY that are asking this question. A DIY that is experience in aftermarket complete stereo and security installation would also know how.

So, the simple answer is to tap into the fuel pump power wire close to the fuel pump at the tank location. Then install a simple on/OFF switch that you install under the dash easy for you to access but not notable to anyone actually looking under the dash. Basically, even if they steal your key fob it is useless unless they know about the fuel pump switch.

A more complicated security install of the simple switch would be to spice into the electric e-brake. The car cant move if the rear brakes is locked in park position.

Lastly as i have on my own MAzda is noise deterent. Asdie form many anti theft devises I also have horn activation. Once you trip the security the horn blats away. But before anyone say they just pop the hood and disconnect the battery... I have a small motorcyle battery that power the remote and not easyly accessed security horn. The horn will continue to blow for about 2 hours before the battery depletes.

Now you have your answer

Welcome to the forum

Old 05-31-2024, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by gt750
Most of the large Freightliners have switches to turn off the vehicle. They run it using the negative battery terminal. I believe it's called a "Shut off switch". Most were 1/4 turn rotary switch. People would sometimes be very creative in the switches placement! You won't need one as big as a "Tractor" with 4- 1000 CCA batteries. Good luck!
The ECU in a MAZDA Skyactiv system really does not like battery disconnector switches. While I understand have used and even keep on hand those type switches they are more intended for the use you posted or a Race or off road vehicle. I do not recommend there use in cars manufactured from at least 2014 to present and even some as far back as 2000.

ASE

Welcome to the forum

Old 05-31-2024, 11:46 AM

If someone really wants a vehicle bad enough, and has the means, they will take it no matter what "devices" we might activate and or put on it (excluding explosives).
A friends WRX-STI was put on the back of flatbed tow truck with the horn still blowing (guys did eventually get caught but the car was basically toast).
At a rally one year, in the middle of the afternoon, four guys cut the chain on a MV Augusta and used two poles through the wheels and threw it in the back of a pick-up and took off.
It's anti-theft lights flashing and horn sounding right up until the cops got them about an hour later. The owner did have a locator device on it and the thieves were pretty toasted as well.
Many moons back I once had my boat trailer stolen while I was out fishing.
It was locked to the ball and the ball mount was locked to the receiver.
They simply removed the entire hitch assembly from my truck.
I've even come home to find my front door laying on the floor, pried completely off the hinges.
I live in a state with one of the lowest crime rates (46 in thefts and 50th in violent crime) in the USA and the area I live in has the lowest in the state.
In addition to the installed antitheft devices, I just make sure I carry good insurance now.

Old 05-31-2024, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
If someone really wants a vehicle bad enough, and has the means, they will take it no matter what "devices" we might activate and or put on it (excluding explosives).
Agreed. To me it's not worth the hassle if the odds are too great against you.

Old 05-31-2024, 12:25 PM

Not to disagree.... but any vehicle with electronic e-brake if you do the wiring correctly you would not be able to successfully steel a vehicle unless they could first get under the vehicle jack it up and bypass the electrical control. (each rear brake is separate ) Otherwise you would be dragging tire that are not rotating. Then the problem if you cannot start the engine is to disengage the transmission (automatic) another PIA for a quick stealing of a vehicle.

So technically if you had the time sure you could steel it but it would not be easy and extremely time consuming.

Then there is a "super Modder (like me) that I also have GPS tracking and on-board camera's that activate send an alert if anything is breached.

When I was asked to engineer and design a theft alert and deterrent system in the 80's I found that noise and delaying any possible quick theft was a deterrent. I also marketed and sold a device that attached to the steel body of the car and when active if you touched it would zap you. (Extremally high energy shock if you are truly interest you can find out how much be researching it. I won't mention the brand) They were quickly outlawed and removed from the market. Some of you might remember the perimeter control theft deterrents that would send out a warning in your own voice or a pre-programed recording if you got within a set distance of the vehicle.

Last edited by Callisto; 05-31-2024 at 12:27 PM.