Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Wind noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2020, 02:07 PM
Default Wind noise

I have a 2019 CX5 GT. When driving in strong winds there is a wind noise which seems to be coming from the door mirror drivers side. I’ve also heard it once on the passenger side.
it also happens at high speed.
I took it to the dealership and they said they couldn’t find anything wrong.
They didn’t seem to bothered to find out more.
Attached is a video of the noise
Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by Ian B; 08-02-2020 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 02:20 PM
BWJ

No Video ?

Old 08-02-2020, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by BWJ
No Video ?
It didn’t load
hopefully it does now

Old 08-02-2020, 02:50 PM
BWJ

Originally Posted by Ian B
It didn’t load
hopefully it does now
nope

Old 08-02-2020, 05:10 PM

We have no issues with wind noise with our 2018 CX-5 GT. You could maybe post a YouTube video link, there is still no video with your post.

Old 08-04-2020, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator

Book it in again and request a road test with the foreman.

Old 01-21-2021, 07:24 PM
Default Wind Noise

Ian B - Yes!! I have a high-pitched noise also, same as you described. Very disappointing! I just flew to Denver to purchase this used 2019 cx-5 gt (4000 miles on it - so still fairly new) and was very disappointed when the noise started as I was driving across Wyoming (open area, high winds, highway speeds). This NEVER happened on my 2015. Is there something, Mazda, that can be done?!! Ian, let me know if your dealership figures something out please.

Old 01-21-2021, 09:09 PM
Default Is it reed like noise?

Originally Posted by cx-5 kathi
Ian B - Yes!! I have a high-pitched noise also, same as you described. Very disappointing! I just flew to Denver to purchase this used 2019 cx-5 gt (4000 miles on it - so still fairly new) and was very disappointed when the noise started as I was driving across Wyoming (open area, high winds, highway speeds). This NEVER happened on my 2015. Is there something, Mazda, that can be done?!! Ian, let me know if your dealership figures something out please.
i had this issue, not on a CX5, but after the windshield was replaced. The sound would only happen under certain conditions, and it sounded like a reed noise that woodwind instrument would make, only in high cross winds. It turned out the windshield trim was not properly affixed, there was a gap somewhere, and the reason it sounded like a reed was because the wind was blowing through a gap between the glass and trim out to the A pillar. The fix was to reapply the trim.

I also had this on an Acura, and it was a similar situation, but the glass was not replaced. It was a manufacturing defect, but essentially the same reason. In fact the service manager said did it sound like a reed? When it first happened in a high cross wind situation, I was driving quite fast, above the speed limit and enjoying the cars handling. The sound was so loud that it caused a vibration in the cabin, and I immediately applied the brakes and slowed down because I thought I broke something in the car!

Old 01-22-2021, 02:16 PM

If it's audible on both sides as you mentioned I'm going to agree with a sound like you're describing likely being related to the windshield. It could be a moulding issue or it could be that the windshield itself has a spot in the urethane that glues it in that didn't adhere properly or even has a gap in it. If you aren't the original owner check the watermark on one of the front lower corners of the windshield from the outside. If there isn't a Mazda logo it has likely had a replacement windshield as no one, not even the dealers, would use OEM Mazda glass unless a customer demanded it or wanted to pay the price difference. You might also run a 1 1/2" strip of tape all the way around the windshield and see if the noise goes away or changes. I owned a collision shop for 20 years and air and water leaks were oftentimes the biggest hassle you came across.

Old 05-27-2021, 11:18 AM

I suspect this is due to the side mirrors retracting. I believe 2019 was the first year for this and I've had many CX-5's without this issue. I have the same problem in my 2019. I think the mechanism for this creates a bit of a gap somewhere that allows the mirror to shift slightly as the wind hits it, which creates the noise. Not sure if there's a way to fix that to be honest. It happens very rarely for me and I travel on the highway constantly. Only seems to be during excessively windy days.

Quick Reply: Wind noise