Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Windshield Replaced

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2024, 12:07 PM
Default Windshield Replaced

Our 2020 CX-5 GTR had a good size rock chip a Crack the windshield. Thanks to this forum I knew how to proceed getting a Mazda OEM made in Japan replacement to avoid sensor calibration problems. The Ins co default glass contractor never uses OEM glass, but I have the option to find my own glass shop. The Ins co told me that I canot request OEM glass. The request must come from the glass shop and must be justified. It took a few phone calls to several different glass shops to find one that was willing to justify OEM glass and knew the process. New windshield, no problems. I've been told by folks here that some of the after market glass will not successfully calibrate. Thanks to this forum, I avoided a potential problem.

Replacement

Original

MIJ sticker

Old 06-09-2024, 11:15 AM

Glad to hear you got an OEM one with no issues. I find that the people who have issues with the non-oem windshields are the ones with the Active Driving Display feature. If they don't have the correct windshield, then the display won't reflect correctly and looks terrible.

Old 06-09-2024, 12:24 PM

Thanks, had I not read some previous posts about windshields, I would have just gotten the recommended aftermarket by the insurance company. This is the value of a forum like this.

Old 06-09-2024, 02:01 PM

The OEM or a very high-quality windshield are always the best for then just windshield electronics. There is also aftermarket that are equal or some even better. But it takes a lot of homework to find them and then convince an insurance company that that is the brand you want.

So, when you can get your insurance company to sign off on an OEM windshield it is a WIN!

Old 06-10-2024, 07:40 AM

I wasn't lucky enough to get OEM but the company that was used brought their own calibration equipment and successfully calibrated the sensors with the aftermarket glass. Also made sure the glass was acoustic rated. Can't tell a difference at all thankfully.

Old 06-13-2024, 11:30 AM

We had to replace the windshield, in our 2020, too. The glass shop said it came from the same factory, as the new cars. Who knows. But I notice that the Heads Up Display, does not seem as clear as it once did.. Maybe its my imagination. They said it was $2000.00. I paid the $500 deductible

Old 06-13-2024, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Yellowdart69
We had to replace the windshield, in our 2020, too. The glass shop said it came from the same factory, as the new cars. Who knows. But I notice that the Heads Up Display, does not seem as clear as it once did.. Maybe its my imagination. They said it was $2000.00. I paid the $500 deductible
Being manufactured from the same fasility does not mean it is the same queality.
I have talked about this before on another thread somewhere. If anyone is really that interested i am sure you can find it.

Yes there is a BIG difference in the quality of glass and how it is manufactured. Both OEM and aftermarket
Myth that factory is the best glass to get. It is not always depending on the platform and model.
But overall OEM is better than most glass aftermarket offered everywhere.