Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Wireless Carplay -- Upgrade option?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 06:45 PM
Default Wireless Carplay -- Upgrade option?

So I know they offered an upgrade to some of the older CX5s to give them (wired) Car Play.

I've kind of been holding off on getting a 2021 to see if they announce Wireless Car Play as an option on them next year. I know it's a crap shoot, but what do you think the odds are they'll offer some kind of software (and/or hardware) option to give us the wireless option later?

Old 01-31-2021, 09:12 PM

I'm kind of pessimistic on the wireless upgrade option since they took a very long time even on this first wired upgrade. Just my two cents.

Old 01-31-2021, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by mazda_nc_dude
I'm kind of pessimistic on the wireless upgrade option since they took a very long time even on this first wired upgrade. Just my two cents.
Yeah I'm not holding my breath. Kinda waiting to see when the 2022s will be out and if they have it. Not having it shouldn't be a deal breaker but with as many lightning cables as I've gone through over the last few years it sure would be a nice thing to have.

Old 02-01-2021, 12:18 PM

I bet it doesn't show up until the all new model is released in '23. They have done a lot of infotainment upgrades for so late in the lifecycle so it seems unlikely they would add this feature. The good thing is there should be wireless dongles available soon so anyone with wired AA/CP can go wireless(and the dongle will be hidden in the console as well). That made my decision to buy a wired AA head unit for my Frontier. I will add a wireless dongle later when I get a phone with Android 11.

Old 02-01-2021, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
I bet it doesn't show up until the all new model is released in '23. They have done a lot of infotainment upgrades for so late in the lifecycle so it seems unlikely they would add this feature. The good thing is there should be wireless dongles available soon so anyone with wired AA/CP can go wireless(and the dongle will be hidden in the console as well). That made my decision to buy a wired AA head unit for my Frontier. I will add a wireless dongle later when I get a phone with Android 11.
You may be right. I hoping though that with other models using the same infotainment setup they'll sneak it and a few other features in there to keep people from holding off until the '23s come out. Just have to wait and see. That new Tucson is due out this spring. I'm kind of liking that too but not sure. I've heard there may be some problems with the new Hyundai engines.