Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Wonky infotainment system

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 02:06 PM
Default Wonky infotainment system

So I’m brand-new to the Mazda world. Just bought a used 2020 CX-5 Grand Touring. I absolutely love it but I’m disappointed in the infotainment system. For whatever reason, the 2020 doesn’t come with Nav or the whole Mazda Assistance/remote start stuff, which was disappointing. No matter, I can use Apple CarPlay.
-Except sometimes I plug in my phone and that’s it, my phone takes over and I HAVE to play music that way. Goodbye local radio or SiriusXM. Such a pain, especially having to GET to a music app to put music on.

-Speaking of SiriusXM, debating on whether I want to do the subscription and soo far not sold - it takes a couple of minutes to pick up and play and even then will blip out randomly.

-Text messages sometimes come through the infotainment, sometimes they don’t. Definitely don’t if my phone isn’t plugged in. Haven’t figured out how to use voice commands to answer…

I think there’s other stuff that I’m not thinking of lol, but really I’m trying to find out if there’s a fix for this stuff? Or do I just live with it? I wind up doing CarPlay a lot for the maps unfortunately bc we just moved and I’m directionally challenged 🤣

Old 08-08-2021, 02:34 PM

Your owners manual should have this info, but you can easily switch between the AA/CP interface and the in car radio functions (local radio stations/Sirius) by pressing the "HOME" button for a couple of seconds. See if yours has a slot for the navigation card. I think you have to have the premium package on your GT (includes HUD, ventilated front seats, heated rear seats) to get nav, but if you do have the slot in your center console you can buy the navigation SD card online for under $100.

Old 08-08-2021, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
Your owners manual should have this info, but you can easily switch between the AA/CP interface and the in car radio functions (local radio stations/Sirius) by pressing the "HOME" button for a couple of seconds. See if yours has a slot for the navigation card. I think you have to have the premium package on your GT (includes HUD, ventilated front seats, heated rear seats) to get nav, but if you do have the slot in your center console you can buy the navigation SD card online for under $100.
I'll have to check this, thank you! I suppose it won't fix things if I'm plugging in just for a charge, but it will help at least when I'm trying to navigate.

Old 08-09-2021, 05:08 AM

It's worth it to pick up a SD card from eBay. When you select Nav and then choose another screen such as Audio, it will display the next cross street at the top of the infotainment display as you drive.

Old 08-09-2021, 07:45 AM

So does an updated SD card also have additional features/fixes? If so are they all downward-compatible? I have a17 GT.

Old 08-09-2021, 08:32 AM

You would have to get a card for your current system. I think up to 2020 is the same OS. The new 10.25" screen on the '21 uses a new OS so it isn't compatible with the 17.

Old 08-09-2021, 06:17 PM

If I recall correctly it only connects CarPlay when you use the usb port that has an additional icon (inside the console on my 2020 Touring) so I just use that port for other devices. As chickdr19 said you can hold home briefly to switch back and forth if you prefer CarPlay but I don't use it myself. I know what you mean on app for local; I travel at least once a week 300 Miles round trip (just realised to your area if it's NC) and if the station I listened to didn't have an app I'd miss my favorite morning show (I open the app and change source to bluetooth on my phone). The only downside to that is it gets silenced momentarily every time Waze says "Vehicle on shoulder ahead" or similar. If you get a SiriusXM plan that includes online access that will work for this as well with their app.

I'm used to GM nav system having worked for Cadillac esp. the CUE variant and when I inherited my parent's 2016 Mazda 3 I purchased a nav card online. It was far better! I like seeing what is coming up ahead for the next 3 exits as far as gas, food, rest area go. It's one reason of several (mileage and reliability were also a factor) why this retired Caddy mechanic is driving a CX-5 instead of an XT5. I use it in tandem with Waze while out and about. (Yes I paid the insane dealer price for it, but only to have the warranty; I had a problem with the card from online when cold that was resolved by cloning it to a quality card.) I already had a Sirius plan on a different vehicle but my Touring radio didn't support it; I tucked an "Onyx Plus" in the cubby below the HVAC so all is well on I-40 now (also added Midland 75-822 CB but that's another story).

Can't help you on replying to text via voice; I do it via Apple watch. 😉

Hope this was of some help to you and others that read this thread.

Old 08-09-2021, 08:34 PM

I knew the feeling. I had a 2020 CX-5 Sig. The car ran fine but the "infotainment" system was a joke. I traded it in in late April.
Good luck.

Old 08-10-2021, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Tim Turner
If I recall correctly it only connects CarPlay when you use the usb port that has an additional icon (inside the console on my 2020 Touring) so I just use that port for other devices. As chickdr19 said you can hold home briefly to switch back and forth if you prefer CarPlay but I don't use it myself. I know what you mean on app for local; I travel at least once a week 300 Miles round trip (just realised to your area if it's NC) and if the station I listened to didn't have an app I'd miss my favorite morning show (I open the app and change source to bluetooth on my phone). The only downside to that is it gets silenced momentarily every time Waze says "Vehicle on shoulder ahead" or similar. If you get a SiriusXM plan that includes online access that will work for this as well with their app.

I'm used to GM nav system having worked for Cadillac esp. the CUE variant and when I inherited my parent's 2016 Mazda 3 I purchased a nav card online. It was far better! I like seeing what is coming up ahead for the next 3 exits as far as gas, food, rest area go. It's one reason of several (mileage and reliability were also a factor) why this retired Caddy mechanic is driving a CX-5 instead of an XT5. I use it in tandem with Waze while out and about. (Yes I paid the insane dealer price for it, but only to have the warranty; I had a problem with the card from online when cold that was resolved by cloning it to a quality card.) I already had a Sirius plan on a different vehicle but my Touring radio didn't support it; I tucked an "Onyx Plus" in the cubby below the HVAC so all is well on I-40 now (also added Midland 75-822 CB but that's another story).

Can't help you on replying to text via voice; I do it via Apple watch. 😉

Hope this was of some help to you and others that read this thread.
Ohhh I'll have to check the port the USB is plugged into and maybe add another plug so I can choose when CarPlay is used and when it isn't. It's still annoyingly inconsistent...I mean, the first weekend I had the car, my fiance and I took it on a trip, so we wanted the CarPlay to be able to use Waze but we had to try multiple ways to get the phone plugged in or not or whatever to get the maps and the music to work (but no texts came through at all on that trip lolololol, those just randomly started coming through days later). And we never could get the map voice commands to work on that trip, although they work now lol. And part of me feels petty complaining about all of this when my trusty CRV that I had for 6 years had NONE of this fancy stuff lol. But it also had nothing wrong w/it when I traded it in so I guess I expect more out of a car that's 5 years newer.

Oh, and I just upgraded my Apple watch so I'll be wearing THAT more and will be able to do voice commands there too haha.

Old 08-12-2021, 09:24 PM

I have a 2021 cx5 gt awd. Carplay via wifi no cable required. You can stop carplay within you apple phone

Last edited by theguyfrommontreal; 08-12-2021 at 09:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Wonky infotainment system