Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 06:41 PM
Default Is it worth it?

I've been planning to trade in my car as soon as I can. I've been looking at the '19 CX5. Fuel range doesn't seem to be too bad, from what I can see. But on some reviews, they said the transmission was not "imperceptible". What I wanna know is if there's some quality issues, comfortable enough for long trips (Stuff like 12 hr drives) or if the transmission is unrefined as they say it is.

Old 06-11-2020, 03:42 PM

Don't think that you will run into any quality issues; however, take it for a (very) long test drive and make sure that the driver's seat is comfortable for you for long drives.

Old 06-11-2020, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by MicrowaveRoast
I've been planning to trade in my car as soon as I can. I've been looking at the '19 CX5. Fuel range doesn't seem to be too bad, from what I can see. But on some reviews, they said the transmission was not "imperceptible". What I wanna know is if there's some quality issues, comfortable enough for long trips (Stuff like 12 hr drives) or if the transmission is unrefined as they say it is.
I'm having a difficult time wrapping my brain around a perceptible transmission equating to an unrefined or poor quality transmission. Said another way, just because you can feel the transmission shift, even if ever so slightly, that does not in any way mean a problem. Think about it this way, CVT transmissions in their native form are essentially imperceptible in that the RPMs go up to a specific point and stay there during acceleration, and then drop to another specific point when you reach cruising speed. Many-many folks complained about the "imperceptibleness" of the CVT experience and as a result, as a manufacturers reprogrammed their transmissions to act like standard automatic units, shift "feel" and all.

Old 06-13-2020, 07:32 PM
Default Signature Edition

Good comment by Shipo.

We own a 2018 BMW X-3 M40i as well as a 2019 CX-5 Signature. The BMW is equipped with the ZF 8 speed auto, which is universally regarded as the greatest auto tranny ever made. Although the CX-5 has only 6 speeds and isn't quite as intuitive as the Bimmer, I find myself almost always choosing. to drive the Mazda, because of its overall goodness It has superior seats, steering and interior materials. While the Bimmer is a tad quieter and a bit quicker, the Mazda is generally my choice. It does everything well, at a cost of somewhat more than $20K less.. Consumer Reports says the Mazda.should be the more reliable of the two.

We bought a Florida condo several months ago, to escape Michigan winters, and will be purchasing a car to drive down there. It will be another CX-5 Signature.

-Karl.

Old 06-14-2020, 07:23 PM

Mazda’s 6 speed manual transmission has been on the market for a while and has been extremely reliable. I have it in 3 current cars and have no problems.

It is one of the reasons I drive Mazdas. As long as Mazda sells cars with this transmission, I will never drive a car with a CVT, Dual Clutch, Ten Speed or any other new in-tested transmission.

Old 06-14-2020, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by mazdaCPA
Mazda’s 6 speed manual transmission has been on the market for a while and has been extremely reliable. I have it in 3 current cars and have no problems.

It is one of the reasons I drive Mazdas. As long as Mazda sells cars with this transmission, I will never drive a car with a CVT, Dual Clutch, Ten Speed or any other new in-tested transmission.
LOL, I'm even more particular about the cars I'll drive; unless said vehicle has three pedals under the dash, it ain't gonna darken the threshold to my garage.

Old 06-14-2020, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
LOL, I'm even more particular about the cars I'll drive; unless said vehicle has three pedals under the dash, it ain't gonna darken the threshold to my garage.
I would agree if I didn’t have an hour rush hour commute.

And who makes a better manual transmission than Mazda?

Old 06-14-2020, 07:44 PM

I would agree if I didn’t have an hour rush hour commute.

Oh, I've driven a few; the only manual I've ever drive which was more enjoyable than the 6-Speed in my TL was a Gen 1 Series 2 RX-7 I spent a lot of time in back in the 1980s. Our two NA Miatas and an S2000 which belonged to a neighbor are a push and are a close third behind the TL, and my BMWs are right bang in the hunt ever so slightly behind the Miatas and the S2000.

Honestly, while I wanted a sedan with a manual bad enough to take a gamble on the TL, when I first drove it I was stunned at how sweet it shifts; not only does it feel good, the audible "snick-snick" sound of the gear change so extremely satisfying.

Old 06-14-2020, 11:14 PM
Default TCM in the ECU

LOL... the way a transmission is programmed (TCU/TCM =transmission control unit or computer) to shift is mostly the consideration of the auto-manufacture what market the platform is targeted for. One of the things we as performance modders like to do is attempt what ever we can to change the some aspects of the "creature comfort" shifting characteristic's of many of our cars to give it a more sport feeling when it shifts.Even more so then to switch to sport drive shifting if they are equip with. . This includes BMW's. Unfortunately that world of TCM/ECU programming is still in the hands of the auto manufactures and their computers engineers to developed the best transmission shifting characteristic program for that targeted market. This was a topic of much interest because more cars are ATX these days during my class to get a certification in EFI/ECU Performance Calibrating. As discussed in the class the first real big problem is most ECU programs aftermarket to be able to change things in the computer do not allow access to the other areas which is the TCM control. Then there is the really big concern to find anyone anywhere in the world that has good experience changes though transmission commands and controls to match the normal changes performed to increase power in the ECU! So what does this all mean well... pretty much how an ATX shifts unlike "old school" when a very soft shift or lag in shifting from one gear to another usually meant problems internally in the transmission. These days from about 2009 a soft shifting transmission is a selling point to the bigger percentage of consumers shopping for a vehicle. Soooo judging and comparing one ATX shifting quality so to say from different platforms is not a way to judge their quality, longevity,reliability and certainly not to use the word imperceptible . If you doubt this look at the advertised factory specification under power, then look at where they claim the maximum power was developed. Then go test drive the prospective vehicles and buzz the engine to the rated specification and come back on this thread and try to use that word imperceptible when describing the shifting feel of that ATX.

Old 06-14-2020, 11:22 PM

Well for a manual transmission in a 4 cylinder engine IMHO I gotta say BMW/MINI in the MCS 2002-2006 that I can vouch for. My 02 MCS with the Chrysler 1.6 standard supplied engine during those years put down over 375 WHP....yes that right .. at the wheel and on a the 6 speed manual. I have over 30 Dyno runs during it build to that point and then> ..... that output was before the new engine with all the power parts bells and whistles. However in all fairness I did have PGT custom build a set of semi straight cut gears with my own gear ration for the new power train package I built.

Quick Reply: Is it worth it?