Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 11:03 AM

I can't believe the Miata hasn't been mentioned for its awesome 6-sp manual. As for the CX-5, you won't be buying a manual anything if you are getting a new one. That would be the 6-sp AT and it is pretty darn good in my experience so far. Certainly way better than the 6-sp auto in my 2016 Acura RDX which was abysmal.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
I can't believe the Miata hasn't been mentioned for its awesome 6-sp manual. As for the CX-5, you won't be buying a manual anything if you are getting a new one. That would be the 6-sp AT and it is pretty darn good in my experience so far. Certainly way better than the 6-sp auto in my 2016 Acura RDX which was abysmal.
LOL, I mentioned the Miata here:
Originally Posted by shipo
Oh, I've driven a few; the only manual I've ever drive which was more enjoyable than the 6-Speed in my TL was a Gen 1 Series 2 RX-7 I spent a lot of time in back in the 1980s. Our two NA Miatas and an S2000 which belonged to a neighbor are a push and are a close third behind the TL, and my BMWs are right bang in the hunt ever so slightly behind the Miatas and the S2000.

Honestly, while I wanted a sedan with a manual bad enough to take a gamble on the TL, when I first drove it I was stunned at how sweet it shifts; not only does it feel good, the audible "snick-snick" sound of the gear change so extremely satisfying.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:23 AM

Completely missed it in your post! My bad! And yes, the S2K is also a great one. I had a 2000 MX-5 => 2002 Boxster => 2006 S2K and currently have a 2006 M Roadster. I think the MX-5 was the best of the group. I liked the S2K's manual as well, but it felt more delicate to me than the Miata's. The German manuals are ok, but not near as precise IMHO.

Old 06-15-2020, 01:07 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by chickdr19
The German (*engineered & manufactured) manuals are ok, but not near as precise IMHO.

LOL this is really funny .... considering so many thoughts come to mind that makes it only a DIY opinion from perhaps a person obviously never taking one completely apart and comparing to a Asian manufactured manual transmission completely disassembled?.

*added this to your quote to at least make it more defined in the description you are presenting.

Old 06-15-2020, 01:52 PM

Silly me, I thought the Asian manufacturer Aisin made transmissions for many Mini Coopers, Porsche Cayennes, VW Touaregs, and Audi Q7s (among numerous others).

Last edited by shipo; 06-15-2020 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-15-2020, 02:23 PM

Silly me, I thought the Asian manufacturer Aisin made transmissions for many Mini Coopers, Porsche Cayennes, VW Touaregs, and Audi Q7s (among numerous others).
Ya the internet is a wonderful thing for finding information good made or just inaccurate?
First there is a BIG difference between a MINI Cooper and a MINI Cooper S! (MCS)
There are really a lot of none specif mentions in this thread having to do with transmission but no not all transmission are made from any one auto manufacture. Just like my MCS 2002 with it little BMW/MINI little 1.6 is made by Chrysler for such cars as the PT Cruiser but in a BMW/MINI it makes 4 times the power. The manual transmission it came factory with is a GETRAG. The GETRAG manual transmission is used in the MINI supercharged 1.6 model in their 1st generations MCS of which I specifically mentioned owning which is a GERMAN manufactured manual transmission.

I am mean really... what I simply said is that the IMO (based on using so many different manual transmission with higher output engines) GERMAN engineered and manufacturedManual Transmissions are better engineered for strength and reliability over then other auto manufactures manual transmissions.

EDIT ADDITION: I had to go look why you thought Aisin Seiki Co., Ltd manufactured those you mentioned and see that that company Aisin Seiki Co., Ltd is only a competitor of GETRAG.

Last edited by Callisto; 06-15-2020 at 02:40 PM.
Old 06-15-2020, 04:13 PM

My comments were more directed at this comment, "The German manuals are ok, but not near as precise IMHO."

Both my BMWs had Getrag transmissions and both were great transmissions. The 6MT unit in my TL is easily the equal of those two transmissions. I guess that's a long way of saying, I've been mostly fortunate with regard to the transmissions I've had, errr, except for maybe the old Muncie Rock Crusher, or New Process 4-Speed units. Then again, those two transmissions were built for an entirely different purpose.

Old 06-15-2020, 04:58 PM

I guess that's a long way of saying, I've been mostly fortunate with regard to the transmissions I've had, errr, except for maybe the old Muncie Rock Crusher, or New Process 4-Speed units. Then again, those two transmissions were built for an entirely different purpose.
ROLMAO... DUDE, hahaha! well well well....so we are close to the same age?. My 55 Hardtop with a 396 offy tunnel ram with 2 competition Carters was supported by a Rock Cruiser Tranny and 6:14 in an Oldsmobile pumpkin. With that compound low gear the RockCrusher came with and the rear gear ration I could easily pull my straight axled front end off the ground on the street. I was using Ansen Sprint 15x10 with Indy Blue streaks tires at the time . And then I had to shift like RIGHT NOW because in a split second I was out of engine speed and bounces the needle at 6500.In a Big block those days that was crazy to do. LOL

Later when I earned real money I opt for Borg Warner's or Doug Nash 5 speed with overdrive units. lol

Last edited by Callisto; 06-15-2020 at 05:01 PM.
Old 06-15-2020, 11:34 PM

My comments were more directed at this comment, "The German manuals are ok, but not near as precise IMHO."

Both my BMWs had Getrag transmissions and both were great transmissions. The 6MT unit in my TL is easily the equal of those two transmissions. I guess that's a long way of saying, I've been mostly fortunate with regard to the transmissions I've had, errr, except for maybe the old Muncie Rock Crusher, or New Process 4-Speed units. Then again, those two transmissions were built for an entirely different purpose.
Let me clarify. The manual transmissions in my German cars (2002 Porsche Boxster and 2006 BMW Z4M) were not near as nice to shift as the Miata and S2K. Just my 2 cents...

Old 06-18-2020, 03:08 PM

I have absolutely NO issues with the transmission either in it "hunting" for gears or being rough in ANY way.

NONE of the on-line reviews in Youtube or elsewhere have observed this. In fact the CX 5 was rated by Car & Driver as one of the "Ten Best" for 2019.