Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Is it worth upgrading firmware from v59 to v70+???

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 06:07 PM
Question Is it worth upgrading firmware from v59 to v70+???

Really curious how much of an improvement the new firmware is as far as performance and stability the newer firmware is over the v55-v59 versions. I understand they finally added built-in support for android auto and car play, but other than that. What's the difference? I recently upgraded from v55 to v59 in order to keep my MZD AIO tweaks because they are a big improvement and also add Android Auto support although I have yet to try that out. I have had issues with bluetooth and overall system crashes at least monthly. v59 firmware doesn't seem to be that much different. I do use Pandora a lot and have found I'm better off using the bluetooth audio input rather than the included Pandora app as it's a little redundant and seems more stable. Only advantage to using the Pandora app is to show album art and view station lists, but really, you can do that from your phone pretty easily anyways.

I know there is a very technical way to get around the AOI tweak block in v70+, but I'd rather not go to that extreme if I don't need to. Am I missing out on anything by not upgrading to the latest firmware? At some point the limitation becomes the now antiquated hardware, right? Anyone else hoping they eventually offer an upgraded infotainment system for older models with a faster processor and faster boot times and better stability? I mean they'll charge you a grand to replace this now outdated POJ if you break it or it quits working outside of warranty, is it wrong to expect a better alternative for the money? Aftermarket systems are not quite there yet as far as full functionality (aftermarket navigation systems are way more expensive, but better non-nav systems are available). I'd love to install a fully compatible Android 9.0 aftermarket solution, but so far they are unreliable. Pioneer and Kenwood do offer some decent non-GPS double DIN alternatives though, but you loose the center console control function and other car-specific function settings like locks, lights, and maintenance settings...

Last edited by SimpleCJ; 12-13-2019 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-14-2019, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator

Absolutely worth it. Latest software improves operation & eliminates bugs.

Old 12-15-2019, 01:44 PM

To me Carplay is a huge upgrade, as I like having the interface to play lossless audio (FLAC) through the Vox app. The standard USB interface is limited to 320kbps lossy MP3s. Google Maps works quite well, adding in nice features like lowering the music before commands.
Shame Mazda made the unnecessary decision to disable the touchscreen while the vehicle is in motion, while many, many other vehicles don't have that restriction. While I'd like that functionality, I can't say I want to go through all the hassle of the AIO tweaks (big PITA in V70+, risk of bricking infotainment) just to enable the touchscreen again.

The Homebrew AA is cool, but possibly less reliable or more buggy than the factory module/setup.