Mazda CX-50 This Crossoverr SUV is for folks who want to get out and go off-road!

What changes give the turbo a 1,500 lb increase in tow rating?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2023 | 02:38 PM
|
Default What changes give the turbo a 1,500 lb increase in tow rating?

We are going to purchase a CX-50 sometime this year and will be including a tow package in the options. In researching the models, I noted that the base engine models have a 2,000lb tow rating and the turbo models have a much higher 3,500lb tow rating. Obviously, the higher power of the turbo is part of the equation, but what else is added that increases the tow rating? Do the turbos have beefier brakes, oil and/or transmission coolers, larger radiator, stronger suspension components, etc that a non-turbo does not have?

Last edited by GJarrett; 06-11-2023 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-15-2023 | 08:23 PM

I can’t answer for sure the spec questions about brakes, suspension, trans cooler, etc., but I would ask what kind of trailer you plan to tow. I have multiple cross-country towing trips with my Honda Odyssey towing technically above max capacity plus many locally towing trips. Tongue weight and overall trailer height are the two biggest things that will impact your towing experience. My cross-country trips were pulling a low profile pop-up camper that added very little frontal area, while local tows included U-Haul trailers approximately 12” higher than the van at a weight of 1,800 lbs or nearly half the weight of the camper. The van struggled to hold 65 mph (244 hp) with the trailer only 12” taller, while the camper which was lower than the van meant it could hold 75-80 mph on flat ground. I just bought a CX-50 with 2.5L NA motor and I’m just now digging into what it’s capable of. It will never be used to pull the camper, but may be used around town for towing a trailer for building materials, mulch, etc., that will either be below 2,000 lbs or such a short tow that I can stay off the highway. I wouldn’t dream of towing above 2,000 lbs without a transmission cooler for any distance. It’s crazy how fast the transmission fluid temps climb in those situations.

Old 07-23-2024 | 06:29 PM

Here is an interesting fact regarding the towing capacity of the non-turbo versus turbo CX-50. While the turbo CX-50 is rated for 3500 lbs versus only 2000 lbs for the non turbo model, with the CX-5 both the turbo and non turbo models are both rated for only 2000 lbs each. I have yet to get an answer as to why this is the case.

Stuart

Old Yesterday | 03:12 PM

I've asked this question since the CX-50 came out, and so far I haven't received any definitive answer. What has been alluded to is either the different rear suspension of the CX-5 versus the CX-50, or differences in the engine or transmission in the two turbo models. With the CX-50 the rear suspension way allow a greater tongue weight. So with the non turbo models, the 2000 lb limit may be the engine power, while on the turbo models the different rear suspension may be the limiting factor (the CX-5 turbo could pull more, but the rear suspension limits it to 2000 lb). The other difference may be in the drive train components themselves. The CX-50 turbo may have a different transmission, or engine oil cooler, or other features that allow it to work harder than the CX-5 turbo.

Stuart

Old Yesterday | 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by GJarrett
We are going to purchase a CX-50 sometime this year and will be including a tow package in the options. In researching the models, I noted that the base engine models have a 2,000lb tow rating and the turbo models have a much higher 3,500lb tow rating. Obviously, the higher power of the turbo is part of the equation,
Not exactly due to the Turbocharger. A Turbocharger simply mean improved torque to RPM at a lower starting point but still at a leaner rate. And the N/A engine can produce much greater power for less cost then a Turbocharged model but still requires changing a few parts. So from a standpoint of warranty not practical if towing is the goal.

Mazda does not participate in *certifying the power ratings, So they can claim just about anything they can get away with. That said it is really difficult to use the power specification as part of the reasoning for the different towing values.
The buck stops so to say when though who think what their engine is power is based on the specification un certified by the auto manufacture and those that actually DYNO their vehcle and realized someone sorta stretch the truth a bit. lol
Lets not forget the fact that nothing was changed to the transmission either.

Oh and it not the ECU programming either, been there looked at and compared them .

*The SAE Standard has been written to provide manufacturers with a method of certifying the power of engines to SAE J1349® or SAE J1995®.

For me I get a kick out of Mazda's "baby turbochargers. the main body is so tiny.... lol But the word TURBOCHARGER carries that image of POWER!!!!! LOL

Last edited by Callisto; Yesterday at 03:37 PM.