Mazda CX-7 This sporty turbocharged 4 cylinder SUV combines the spirit of a performance car with the versatility of an SUV.

2010 CX-7 jerky acceleration from complete stop

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 05:31 AM
Default 2010 CX-7 jerky acceleration from complete stop

I've read a couple of other threads in this forum addressing the same problem, but I didn't find a solution anywhere. It seems like a lot of people that replied to those threads dismissed it as just perception of the driver and nothing mechanically wrong with the vehicle. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this? Here's what happens, from a complete stop when I press the gas, even if I push as gently as I can, the car bucks off like I floored it and all passengers get minor whiplash and look at me like I'm crazy. When other people drive my car I get mad at them for driving like that lol. Does anyone have any bit of advice on what to do? It's not my perception, the car jumps no matter how soft you hit the gas. Thanks for reading.

Old 09-25-2020, 06:10 AM
Super Moderator

Has is been scanned for fault codes?
When was the PCM/ECU software last updated by Mazda?

Old 09-25-2020, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Has is been scanned for fault codes?
When was the PCM/ECU software last updated by Mazda?
Thanks for the reply grim_reaper. There aren't any fault codes, no check engine light and it just passed smog. And has the PCM/ECU software been updated? I have no idea, I didn't know that was even a thing. How would I be able to find out the current version? And can you recommend a way to update it? Thanks again.

Old 09-26-2020, 03:06 AM
Super Moderator

Only a Mazda dealership can update the software.

Is your CX-7 auto or manual transmission?

Old 09-27-2020, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Only a Mazda dealership can update the software.

Is your CX-7 auto or manual transmission?
It's an automatic 2.5L.

Old 03-05-2021, 03:17 AM

Just wanted to give an update about this and what I did to fix it. The throttle body needed a good cleaning. The carbon buildup was causing it to get stuck and pressing the gas pedal would make the car jumpy. After the cleaning it rides so much smoother.

Old 04-22-2021, 09:01 AM

Thank you for the follow up, tried this and was incredibly successful. Accelerates smoothly and is no longer jumpy at acceleration

Last edited by Jgeezy; 04-28-2021 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Content
Old 04-28-2021, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by djrolla
Just wanted to give an update about this and what I did to fix it. The throttle body needed a good cleaning. The carbon buildup was causing it to get stuck and pressing the gas pedal would make the car jumpy. After the cleaning it rides so much smoother.
djrolla's suggestion totally worked for our jumpy CX-7. Had been driving me nuts forever, and cleaning the throttle body did the trick. Thanks djrolla!

Old 08-10-2022, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by djrolla
hello.
I would like to ask you, when you say cleaning the throttle, what exactly do you mean? i mean what is the procedure? did you take out the whole body or with some spray with the body on the car?
thanks in advance

Old 08-10-2022, 02:35 PM

I'm glad it worked out for ya.

Quick Reply: 2010 CX-7 jerky acceleration from complete stop