Mazda CX-7 This sporty turbocharged 4 cylinder SUV combines the spirit of a performance car with the versatility of an SUV.

Bridgestone Turanza's DONE @ 35Km's

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 02:39 PM
Default Bridgestone Turanza's DONE @ 35Km's

I've had my AWD GT CX-7 for about a year now and it's ready for new tires. The Turanza's have 2/32nds left on ALL 4 tires. There is NO way this is an alignment problem. I haven't heard to many good things about the Goodyear RSA's either. Tires rotated every 6000Km and tire pressure checked every week. Possibly a manufacturing defect??

Anyone else having tire wear issues?

Old 08-01-2007, 05:52 PM
Default RE: Bridgestone Turanza's DONE @ 35Km's

Well tire mileage varies.

With vehicle weight
With tire pressures used.
With amount of hard braking
With amount of hard cornering
With alignment.

So how many miles does your car have? Every 6,000KM? How many times have you done this?

This is a heavy 3,600 lbs car so the tires will not last like the same tires on a Geo Metro.
Since it is fun to drive, owners tend to push their cars when driving resulting in more hard stops and more lateral G's in the turns.
Allowing your tire pressure to run low will reduce tread life.

Oh and welcome

Old 08-02-2007, 04:30 PM

Well, let's do the math.......

35000/1.6 = 21,875 miles

I am rotating my tires every oil change which is 6,000Km or 3,750 miles. The wear on the tires is uniform which opts out an alignment problem. I have NO channels left on the tire for the water to escape resulting in major hydroplaning. Tire pressure would not have gone unnoticed in order for that kind of wear to occur.

I'm having the Bridgestone warranty guy take a look at them tonight.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:30 PM

not likely its a defect if 4 tires all show the same even wear. what are the odds? you're just going to have to face it, a heavy vehicle that encourages agressive driving doesn't make for long wearing tires. I know it can be a shock to the system, I had an '02 mercedes that i averaged 20K miles per set of tires for 3 years. since i drove about 30K miles a year, that meant new tires every 10 months or so. I tried a few different brands, but they all wore out within a couple thousand miles of each other. One of those unforseen expenses... $200/tire X 4 sucks.

Road conditions can really eat up tires, if you drive on a lot of chip-sealed roads or that damned grooved pavement, it's like sandpaper. Also, my mercedes dealer mentioned once that AWD vehicles eat up tires a little faster. not sure if that's true.

Not sure where you got your info on RSA's but i just traded in an '05 Maxima with them and i got 40K miles out of them. probably 60% highway. Can't speak to snow and ice conditions, but wet or dry they were nice tires. They have a lower treadwear rating than the Bridgestones, so probably not a good choice for you.

Old 08-03-2007, 05:55 PM

Mine are about 5/8's worn at 21,000mi

Old 08-03-2007, 06:30 PM

My CX7 has 33k miles and the OEM tires literly shreaded the tread off @ 32k miles. The steel belts are showing on the fronts.The tires were rotated @ every ~7000 miles and rears are about to do the same as fronts. I was able to locate 4-5 235/60HR18 tires to replace them ($175-$245). None had a milage warranty. After some additional research I have changed to 255/55/HR18 Perrrelli STR ($165) with 65k warranty. The tire is less than .1 inch different in size. I would have like to try the Dueller H/L Alenza (255/55HR18 - EXACT SAME SIZE) butwere $205 per tire and same warranty. The allignment was dead on. I hope to hit the 70k mark with these tires.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:53 PM

Living in Northern Alberta, Canada, I don't have the luxury of keeping bald tires on my vehicle until the steel wires show. Considering we'll see snow as early as October, I'd like to get those killers off there now.

I'm looking at a set of Nokian WR SUV All-weather. The sore spot is that it'll cost me $1300 for 4. But I hear nothing but good things about Nokian. Any comments?

Still waiting to hear from the Warranty guys at Bridgestone Corp. I'm told by a Bridgestone Field Eng. that they are conducting an investigation into those Turanza'a as we speak for the same reason. Excessive tire wear. I'm not thinking it's a defect anymore........now I'm leaning towards the fact that Bridgestone makes a **** tire at that size.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:48 PM

I have to agree **** tires. The funny thing was that when I purchased the tires, another CX7 came in the next day same issue. I have not heard much about the Nokian tires. I do recall reading posts some where that the tires were not as good as expected.

Living in NY I also may see snow in October but luckly it will not be much nor will it stay. Any way you stack the tires up they will be costly - that is why I changed the tire to a more common size - more choices and less cost.

Good luck with selecting a tire - like you I need a year round tire (unitl I purchase additional rims)

Old 08-11-2007, 04:50 PM

My mazda has 13000 miles and 2 of my tires are worn to slicks I rotated them twice already I will be calling the dealer on Monday to look at them they should still be under warranty.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:45 AM

This is the battle I've been fighting with Corp. Bridgestone. Neither Mazda OR Bridgestone carries any warranty for OEM tires. Basically, they're screwing us. I've spoken with both companies and continue to get the run-around while they point the finger at each other. You would think that when you spend $40K on a new vehicle it will come with tires that will last longer than a year. Very frustrating!

I've been offered, by Bridgestone, 50% off the price of new tires. I let them know that I will NEVER drop another penny on any Bridgstone product and I'll be sure none of my customers or clients do either.

Quick Reply: Bridgestone Turanza's DONE @ 35Km's