Mazda CX-7 This sporty turbocharged 4 cylinder SUV combines the spirit of a performance car with the versatility of an SUV.

HELP! Strange Fuel Pressure readings

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2024, 11:38 AM
Unhappy HELP! Strange Fuel Pressure readings

Hey guys,
New theread here regarding my 2008 mazda CX7 2.3L. I thought I had addressed the issue with my motor stalling because it went away by simply using Marvel's Mystery oil in the fuel tank, but it came back even after still using the the additive.
What I have noticed is that it has to do with the fuel pressure reading and the warm-up of the engine. The story goes like this, when I start the car cold, the Fuel pressure will oscilate between 0psi and 1700psi, it will start jumping between those numbers randomly and causes extra fuel to endter the cylinders. If the pressure is at 0psi, the car idles smoothly but with this sudden spikes happens it's like the car is suddenly flooded with fuel and tries to shut off because of that. What throws me off is that once the engine reaches operating temperature, the fuel pressure starts to normalize to 425psi at idle and the car runs smoothly and is completely driveable. If I turn the engine off and leave the ignition on, the Fuel pressure sensor will detect a rising fuel pressure of arouund 50psi nad continue to rise the longer I leave it on (means the fuel pump works) but once I turn the engine on, the psi drops to 0! but the engine keeps getting fuel. If I desconnect the fuel sensor altogether, car will show 2280psi and the engine will run smooth.

Is the fuel sensor the culprit? Why does it stabilize when it is warmed up?

I attached a brief picture of what the readings look like and the complete log. The zeroes in the RPM column is when the engine shut off, but you can still see fuel pressure being detected by the sensor.

Attached Thumbnails HELP! Strange Fuel Pressure readings-oscilating-fuel-pressure.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx
Log dec 26.xlsx (903.4 KB, 16 views)