Mazda CX-7 This sporty turbocharged 4 cylinder SUV combines the spirit of a performance car with the versatility of an SUV.

Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 09:09 PM
Default Oil Change

I just got a cx-7 for my wife. Its a 2010 with the 2.5 liter, no turbo. Has anyone done an oil change on one of these yet? Does it have a canister oil filter, or the normal spin on filter. My Mazda 3 has the canister, and its a little messier than the spin on types. Anything else I need to know about routine maintenance on this thing?

Old 01-07-2011, 01:19 PM

I have the CX-7 with the turbo, had the first oil change done by the dealer it was FREE, I like free. The service person shared with me it's not the screw on type of filter any longer, but it's the canister with spring, rubber O-ring and a lot more messier than normal. They shared also not to have inexperienced people do the oil change, might crack the canister and have oil leaks. On my next oil change I'm switching to synthetic oil and change out every 5 thousand.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Octane50
I have the CX-7 with the turbo, had the first oil change done by the dealer it was FREE, I like free. The service person shared with me it's not the screw on type of filter any longer, but it's the canister with spring, rubber O-ring and a lot more messier than normal. They shared also not to have inexperienced people do the oil change, might crack the canister and have oil leaks. On my next oil change I'm switching to synthetic oil and change out every 5 thousand.
Why would you use synthetic oil and then throw it away after only 5,000 miles?

Old 01-09-2011, 08:20 AM

Sorry about my explanation of the 5,000 oil change. I would change the filter out on the first 5,000 add a quart then go another 5,000. I would change out the oil completely @ 10,000 and repeat from there after. I agree synthetic is expensive to run, but with my last four cars that seem to work for me.... up for any suggestions !

Old 01-09-2011, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Octane50
Sorry about my explanation of the 5,000 oil change. I would change the filter out on the first 5,000 add a quart then go another 5,000. I would change out the oil completely @ 10,000 and repeat from there after. I agree synthetic is expensive to run, but with my last four cars that seem to work for me.... up for any suggestions !
Next question; why would you change the filter at 5,000 miles? The facts of life are that filters filter better the older they get, that is, they filter better right up to the point where they clog; something that shouldn't happen for an easy fifteen to twenty thousand miles.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:28 PM

When my wife and I bought our Jetta in 2006 (18 miles on it) the dealer and recommended that we change the oil close to 5k and then every 10K. I don't know why but we have done this ever since. Mobil 1 synthetic. No probs. Here is an independent review of oil filters.

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...lterstudy.html

Old 02-08-2011, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by airbodur
I just got a cx-7 for my wife. Its a 2010 with the 2.5 liter, no turbo. Has anyone done an oil change on one of these yet? Does it have a canister oil filter, or the normal spin on filter. My Mazda 3 has the canister, and its a little messier than the spin on types. Anything else I need to know about routine maintenance on this thing?
Unless you're into self maintenance, have the dealer do it as per the owner manual schedule. I would still specify synthetic oil. Most Mazda dealers use 5-20 Mobile 1. You can furnish your own oil if desired and the dealer will only charge for the filter and labor. After the warranty is over, you can extend this schedule to your liking. By that time you will have learned a lot more about this car.

Why synthetic? In almost all cases, you will not notice any difference in milage or performance between normal and synthetic oils. However, four cylinder engines work hard, especially modern engines with variable cam timing that use oil pressure to work and benefit with a free flowing thin oil such as 5-20 or even 0-20. Thus installing a synthetic oil that flows more freely at startup and with stands more heat without cracking and forming varnish can't hurt.

Come-on; an extra $40 every 5000-7500 miles ain't too bad for just that extra peace of mind.

Last edited by Virgil Howarth; 02-11-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:21 AM

The CX7 with the turbo runs very rich also. So changing the oil at 5k is definitely worth it.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by FoxRacingMtnRidr
The CX7 with the turbo runs very rich also. So changing the oil at 5k is definitely worth it.
Runs rich? I seriously doubt it runs any richer at WOT (and no richer at all at partial throttle) than any other car, and even then any fuel that makes it way into the oil should quickly evaporate out. Said another way, a short 5,000 mile OCI is worthless.