Mazda CX-7 This sporty turbocharged 4 cylinder SUV combines the spirit of a performance car with the versatility of an SUV.

Turbo Lag

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 10:37 PM
Default Turbo Lag

going to be picking up my cx-7 gt this thursday, i love the vehicle, and how it rides and handles... one question when i test drove it. i noticed the turbo lag. was wondering if there is anyway to reduce it?

Old 08-20-2006, 02:05 AM
Default RE: Turbo Lag

it is part of owning a turbocharged vehicle. A 2006 ballbearing turbocharger of a stock vehicle should have virtually no lag under high throttle and when not under high throttle you shouldn't need the extra power. I can't really help you out here though.

Old 10-19-2006, 05:06 PM

I heard that the cx7 has a reduced inlet from the one on the mazda 6. Doing this allows it to spin up faster and produce less power, ie the 244 vs 274 horspower difference from cx7 to 6. So theoreticly, if you put the turbo from a 6, or modify the original, with the bigger inlet on a cx7, it would spin up slower, cause a little more delay and you wouldn't get that jerky rush of power off the line. And get more overall horsepower.

Old 11-05-2006, 01:03 AM

Just purchase my GT today, for the price hopefully I won't be disappointed

As for the Turbo Lag issue, my previous car was a Jetta 1.8 T and to resolve that issue, I purchase an Injen CAI and better Diverter Valve and NJ75 and also reduce the spark gap from 032 to 028 and the lag disappeared, the car perform better and my gas mileage was at 27 on the hwy cruising 80. Oh! Yeah! my chip was also upgraded with APR

Now do you know of any company that can upgrade this chip.

Try reducing the spark plug gap first by -004 and see if that helps. Once my car is broken in, I'll start some modifications and let you know the result [8D]

Old 11-16-2006, 04:09 AM

Haha! Not as noticable compared to a RDX [:'(]

Old 01-15-2007, 01:44 AM

I bought my new cx7 (in Australia) in December and if I had read these forums
on the turbo lag and fuel economy not according to specs I wouldn't have bought it.
I have had two scary occasions when turning into traffic and turbo lag is about
2 1/2 - 3 secs when foot flat to the floor. Some sports car!!!!
Would love to hear if anyone has found an answer yet.[:@]

Old 01-16-2007, 06:20 PM

ORIGINAL: CX7CRG033

I bought my new cx7 (in Australia) in December and if I had read these forums
on the turbo lag and fuel economy not according to specs I wouldn't have bought it.
I have had two scary occasions when turning into traffic and turbo lag is about
2 1/2 - 3 secs when foot flat to the floor. Some sports car!!!!
Would love to hear if anyone has found an answer yet.[:@]
This is not a sports car, it is a cross over car/suv.[8D] All the hype from Mazda Marketing asside. So you need to keep that in mind when shopping for a car. If you wanted a sports car, the RX8 is what you needed or some other true sports car.

There is some lag, but by using the manual shift mode and either keeping the rpms up during aggressive back road driving or to bring the rpms up quickly for that quick merge or pass resolves this. Powerjacking from stops will launch the car of this weight respectively.

Have you every driven a turbo car before? All turbos have lag. The turbos are driven by exhaust gases and so the engine must be turning high enough rpms to produce enough gas to spin the turbo up enough to boost the power. Supercharged engines on the otherhand are engine driven and are on all the time. It sounds like you assumed this would take off from low rpms like a large displacement normally asperated or supercharged engine. It is in the nature of the beast. The CX's turbo has been re-designed from the the speed 6 coupe to spin up faster to reduce said lag at the cost of peak horsepower. So it is not as bad as some other cars I have driven.

You did test drive one before you purchased it didn't you? To insure it drove the way you needed.

If you cannot change your driving style, then a turbo car may not be correct for you and your driving style and needs...

Old 01-18-2007, 02:04 PM

mazda just came out with a new flash on December 14th, wish helps the turbo lag. Instead of you all of the sudden feeling the boost at around 3,000 RPM it is more constant boost. I reflashed mine last week and i am much happier. All the new CX7's that have been PDIed (Pre Delivery Inspection) after 12/14 will have the new flash. If you bought yours before 12/14 i suggest calling your local mazda dealer :-)

Old 01-18-2007, 09:03 PM

That is correct TSB is 01-053/06. Here is the first few lines of TSB.

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
2007 CX-7 vehicles with VINs lower than JM3ER****7*155979 (produced before Dec. 15, 2006)
DESCRIPTION
Some vehicles may experience a lack of power or hesitation on initial start under 2,000 rpm (before turbo kicks in). The PCM software has been changed to provide smoother acceleration feel.
NOTE: With this revised calibration, some customers may feel there is a slight decrease in power due to the smoother feeling. The engine power output is unchanged.

There a couple of other things that will be included in the computer reprogram as well. Couple of check engine light problems and transmission surge at 50-80mph if the TCM is also in need of an updated reprogram. If CX-7 was built between Feb 14 2006 and Aug 1 2006 then it will also get an updated fuel filler cap for some poor sealing issues and resulting evap leak CEL codes.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:44 PM

What does "flashed" mean in CX7ized posting above? Is this a reprogramming of the car's computer?

Quick Reply: Turbo Lag