Mazda CX-7 This sporty turbocharged 4 cylinder SUV combines the spirit of a performance car with the versatility of an SUV.

Turbo Lag

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 06:18 PM
Default RE: Turbo Lag

Yes if does beardownchicago. Reflashing the computer is the same as reprogramming.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:21 PM

Thinking to buy one, what is a good Turbo to put on ( ball bearing ) and do you need to change the BOV as well....

Old 03-15-2007, 04:22 AM

you will grow to eventually love the lag. more lag just means more power. flat out. drive something that has a very large turbo and you will feel the lag more and more power at spool. i like the lag, but if you really want to reduce it, do some exhaust work to it so that you will reduce the back pressure and it will spool sooner. also a cai will get rid of the restrictive air box.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:43 PM

I read that this is not turbo lag as a ecm reflash would not change that.
That it is the fact our cars have fly by wire throttles and the computer decides how much throttle to apply based on a number of factor, only one of which is you foot.
The reflash makes he system open the throttle more in proportionn to your foots input...

Old 04-06-2007, 04:34 AM

don't flash your ECM unless you hate your motor. if you want to do ecm work, just get a stand alone engine management system. that should also take care of the governor. reflashing and basemapping are for back-yard beaters, not brand new cars.

turbo lag is the time that it takes for the exhaust pressure to build enough to spool theexhaust side of the turbo, it is inevitable unless you use a tiny turbo that has no lag (smaller the turbo, less lag, in turn,less boost) or just get used to it. you could get a ceramic set-up which has less lag, but i'm telling you, the more lag, the more fun.

Old 04-26-2007, 06:33 PM

ORIGINAL: wsoape281

don't flash your ECM unless you hate your motor. if you want to do ecm work, just get a stand alone engine management system. that should also take care of the governor. reflashing and basemapping are for back-yard beaters, not brand new cars.

turbo lag is the time that it takes for the exhaust pressure to build enough to spool theexhaust side of the turbo, it is inevitable unless you use a tiny turbo that has no lag (smaller the turbo, less lag, in turn,less boost) or just get used to it. you could get a ceramic set-up which has less lag, but i'm telling you, the more lag, the more fun.
Interesting that you would describe a MAZDA SB mandated update for the stock ECU in such terms..

.[sm=laughat.gif]

They blew it and went too conservative in their inital FBW throttles and everyone bitched about the lag between you hit the gas and when the engine finally decided to really go. I am well aware of what turbo lag is and this is not turbo lag. The mazda engineers have stated it was due to the FBW system not opening the throttle as necessary to match your foot on the gas pedal until after the engine revs past 2500 rpm. The reflash would not change true turbo lag.

Even with the reflash, it is still inferior to my wifes Turbo Baja.. It is mechanical and you hit it and it just goes right now.[sm=happy046.gif]

One expects a NEW car with a higher tech engine should perform to a minimum level and if not it should be corrected.. The thing that bugs me the most is that they had this engine in the speed6 and they should have had all this ironed out in QA testing before releasing the cars and making us their prototype beta owners. And only if we bitch do they decide to correct what should have been corrected at the factory before these cars were ever shipped here.

It is still a dog off the line and has no top end and then the speed limiter kicks in and limits top speed.

[sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 04-27-2007, 11:46 PM

well, it is interesting to me that you would post something like computer issues on a thread labeled turbo lag. i do retract partly on the reflash issue. if it is mazda-mandated, then the dealership should have all of the specs for that and it should probably be handled by a dealership that is equipped to do it the right way. if you are planning to send it off to some jackass with a computer and a soldering gun that only thinks that he has it all figured out, or if you are getting it done to "overclock"the computer, so to speak,you might as well just push your car off of a cliff and collect the insurance money.

Old 05-03-2007, 02:10 PM

Who do you think is doing these?

The dealer while they replaced my door seals and my gas cap.. At no charge, under warranty

I posted this on a turbo lag thread as it appears what most are bitching with regard to no/low power at lower rpms when you floor it WOT is in fact not turbo lag but an intentional limitation of power by Mazda in the way the programmed the engine control software. You may floor it below 2500 rpm but the computer controlling the throttle will only open it partially until rpms pass 2500 rpm. Hence the bitching and the flat response.

With the reflash the computer will open the throttle quicker but I still feel it is way behind your right foot.

My Turbo Baja is a 2.5 four and it is all mechanical with regards to throttle and you hit it and it just goes. The power from the Subaru turbo is way better down low than the CX and it gets about 4mpg better on average. Why, because if you floor it WOT, it gives you WOT right then. It does not delay, slow and limit your throttle position. Mazda may be doing this to avoid warranty issues on the tranny. I just wish they would get it to work as well as my Baja Turbo.

Before the reflash I had no tranny issues. Now it will hunt if you leave it in auto mode and do around 70mph and go up and down hills where you need to give it just a touch of gas. Again, it is due to the programming.

I cannot wait for someone to come up with an EMS that will fix these issues.... I am waiting with money in hand.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:02 PM

Hey how come that picture of the CX-7 has that Turbo badge underneath, mine didn't come with that, is that special ordered? [/align]

Old 07-30-2007, 05:07 PM

ORIGINAL: ghost_rider

Hey how come that picture of the CX-7 has that Turbo badge underneath, mine didn't come with that, is that special ordered? [/align]

I could be funny and say you have one of the non-turbo CX7s....

They are Acrua badges we buy and put on ourselves.

Look to Ebay