Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

2012 CX9 Coolant flush

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2021, 02:54 PM
Default 2012 CX9 Coolant flush

Should my mechanic have been able to remove ALL of the coolant from my 2012 CX9 during the coolant flush? The reason I ask is that he said he could only remove 6 qts. of the 12.2 qts. that are in the cooling system. (Maybe he didn't want to deal with all the hoses). And when I checked the dealer records from 4 years ago, they indicated only one 'unit' of coolant was added. I don't know what their 'unit' was. Maybe it was just one gallon - 4 qts. - of coolant. Or the full 12.2 qts. I don't know. thanks

Old 04-24-2021, 03:24 PM

It's the Grand Touring model.

Old 04-25-2021, 05:11 PM

Even if the hard-to-reach engine block drains are opened not all the coolant can be removed. If there is no contamination then the drain and refill you got will do a good job. If there was contamination it would take a few drains & refills, perhaps with a heavy duty cleaner added at first, to clean up the system.

I was running a new Cat diesel generator that had a leaky coolant-cooled oil cooler. Engine oil got into the coolant. After replacing the oil cooler it took one flush & refill with dishwasher machine detergent (cut that oil), then several water flushes, then refill with the suitable amount of coolant. Ended up fine.

Old 04-26-2021, 07:25 AM

Mechanic said the old coolant (about 4 years old) was in good shape. How long do you think I could go until another coolant change?

Old 04-26-2021, 09:27 AM

Its sounds like the "mechanic" only did a cold drain instead of a proper coolant flush and replacement/ Next time use a shop that has current ASE Technicians and ask if they use a cooling system flushing /recovery and fluid replacement machine.
I am also always amused how individuals and "mechanics" can tell the condition of fluids my looking only for positive and not realizing that unless you test the fluids you have no idea what their true conditions are. Chances are the Mechanic did not do the 3 basic testing procedures to determine the coolants true condition? If they had they would have likely shown the customer the results of the test either on the test strip and or one or all of the refractor meter and hydromemter actual testing? In my shop we always show the customer!!!!
Oh and as a courtesy we do a system pressure test as well check the radiator cap and also when the engine is run up to temperature's to use thermal hand held gauge to check thermostat operation.

Last edited by Callisto; 04-26-2021 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-05-2021, 10:05 AM

Hello,

I have a CX-5 2.2D AWD 2015 Japanese Specs and I live in Europe.Yesterday I noticed my engine sprayed with coolant and already added water in the system
Does anybody know the actual cause of the defect and how this can be fixed?Cant we just buy a new pressure cap?

Old 09-05-2021, 11:51 AM

The leak could be anywhere. Yes, a new pressure cap is easy if that is the problem. It might be a leaking hose, or hose end connection, or something else. A shop can pressure test the system so they can find and fix the problem.

The suitable coolant must be correctly, not excessively, diluted to maintain the corrosion inhibitors as well as the freeze protection. After your leak is found and fixed, do get the coolant drained and refilled.

Old 09-05-2021, 01:15 PM

Thank you for your reply.What ever you state sounds logic,but I thought with so many incidences of the same mistake there would be recognition of the defect (at least to know what it is) and then how to fix it

Old 09-06-2021, 03:33 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by atheos_mb
Hello,

I have a CX-5 2.2D AWD 2015 Japanese Specs and I live in Europe. Yesterday I noticed my engine sprayed with coolant and already added water in the system
Does anybody know the actual cause of the defect and how this can be fixed? Cant we just buy a new pressure cap?
Your engine is super common for head gasket failure. Combustion gas enters the cooling system, increasing pressure and blowing it out the overflow bottle.

I would book it in with Mazda ASAP.

Old 09-06-2021, 03:48 AM

Ok I will but I dont expect much from in terms of identifying/understanding the problem

Do you guys have a TSB for this?Is it just a gasket replacement with a new type of head gasket?

Best regards

Quick Reply: 2012 CX9 Coolant flush