Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

Is 2014 oil plug reusable?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2021, 10:14 PM
Default Is 2014 oil plug reusable?

First off, "HI" to everyone, I'm "rrrooonnn" and I'm brand new to the forum, I just added a 2014 Touring to my garage to do the dirty work my 2012 Miata garage-queen can't (and wouldn't if it could)
Now, sorry if this is a worn out question, I promise to research future questions more thoroughly, first..

I am doing my first oil change and, as with most projects, I am researching the life out of it. One point of concern is the oil drain plug. Instead of a more recognizable bolt with separate metal crush washer (which I always replace for a few cents), the CX-9 seems to employ a bolt with a rubber gasket attached. Can this be reused, or do I have to pay out several dollars for a new one? Or am I completely wrong about it all? I don't want to be "penny wise, pound foolish".

Opinions?

Thanks. I'm excited to be here with y'all.

Old 12-20-2021, 05:17 AM

Hey rrrooonnn,

Welcome!

If I may I suggest an alternative to reusing crush washers (or drain plugs for that matter). I strongly recommend the Fumoto Drain Valve. I've used this product in practically every vehicle I've owned since early 2000s with ZERO problems. Very convenient, easy to use and made very well.

It's basically like a spigot. Install it once and just open the valve to drain oil. Close and refill. Done.

If you decide to go this way, just use an appropriately sized tube attached to the valve to drain the oil through into a container.

https://www.fumotousa.com/

N

Old 12-20-2021, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by normandelli
Hey rrrooonnn,

Welcome!

If I may I suggest an alternative to reusing crush washers (or drain plugs for that matter). I strongly recommend the Fumoto Drain Valve. I've used this product in practically every vehicle I've owned since early 2000s with ZERO problems. Very convenient, easy to use and made very well.

It's basically like a spigot. Install it once and just open the valve to drain oil. Close and refill. Done.

If you decide to go this way, just use an appropriately sized tube attached to the valve to drain the oil through into a container.

https://www.fumotousa.com/

N
sounds like a great way to go -later. I would as soon use the current set-up for now. Back to original question: can the existing plug be reused? -thanks

Old 12-20-2021, 01:37 PM

Yes. Drain plugs have a variety of replaceable gaskets...copper, aluminum, fiber, nylon. All work well, but if you have a car with an aluminum oil sump, avoid copper--it can be too hard to deform and seal without over torquing the threads. There are also some gaskets with a steel outer and buna-n (oil resistant synthetic rubber) inner. Whatever you have, get a replacement of the correct inside diameter at the auto parts store, maybe a package of a half-dozen or so, pry off the old one, and put on a new one every time. Look closely at the mating surface on the oil pan. Sometimes the old gasket sticks here and needs to be scraped off. You don't want to stack two.

Old 12-26-2021, 04:11 AM
Super Moderator

I've been servicing CX-9s since they were launched. I could count on one hand the ones I've needed to replace.

Old 12-26-2021, 11:59 AM

Seeing damage from reusing the drain plug gasket that are metal I always change them when I change the sump oil.

I do not recommend the use of Fumoto Drain Valve. On most application they contribute to the accumulation of sediment oil on the bottom of the oil pan.

ASE

Old 12-26-2021, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
I've been servicing CX-9s since they were launched. I could count on one hand the ones I've needed to replace.
You know what a good used drain plug gasket looks like and when one is damaged or too deformed to seal and a new gasket is needed. What no one wants is a dripper that is then overtightened and strips the threads in the pan.

Old 12-28-2021, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator

The CX-9 don't have a metallic seal/washer. There is nothing to change/replace. I can't recall seeing one leak - except when they are over-tightened & stripped the threads.