Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

2016 CX-9 transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2022, 05:27 AM
Super Moderator

The big question is, What is the defined years of the Lifetime of a transmission?
1 year out of warranty? 5yrs out of warranty?

Old 12-18-2022, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
The big question is, What is the defined years of the Lifetime of a transmission?
1 year out of warranty? 5yrs out of warranty?
Exactly...

Then there is the failures weeks after the warraty. But then when does the warranty actually start. Some say the production date in the door and other when you purchase it. But then what happens when it has been sitting on a sales lot for 13 months before it sold. Staup-running idling to charge the battery, sitting in the elements etc.?

I personally think warranties on new vehicles should return to the old values in 70's 80's. I think owners would be more involved and motivated to take better care and preventative maintenance of their vehicles?

Old 05-10-2023, 09:18 AM

Hi olroe66: I also have a 2016 CX-9 with similar (86,000) miles. Long story short, the trans shifts weirdly (shifts to next gear too quickly and hard) when cold, but operates perfectly when warmed up. Do you have the TSB number by chance? My dealer stated there was no TSB for this but I believe he just doesn't want to deal with it.

Old 05-10-2023, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Rolland Rahr
Hi olroe66: I also have a 2016 CX-9 with similar (86,000) miles. Long story short, the trans shifts weirdly (shifts to next gear too quickly and hard) when cold, but operates perfectly when warmed up. Do you have the TSB number by chance? My dealer stated there was no TSB for this but I believe he just doesn't want to deal with it.
Would that be Technical Service Bulletin? Sorry, I don't have it.
I looked at my incoive again and since they couldn't replicate the problem they "performed TCM update and transmission relearn". It seems that this was just one of those problems that went away and (hopefully not) will return when I absolutely don't need it!

Old 05-10-2023, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Rolland Rahr
You can go to the NTSB and enter your VIN to see if there are any TSB's related to your Mazda. Otherwise using none applicated TSB do not function for the proper servicing of your Mazda. forum members often seem to think that TSB are universal and will fit anyone problem that is like but they are not and have never been used for that. They are VIN .model year, engine, transmission etc. specific.

Originally Posted by olroe66
Would that be Technical Service Bulletin? Sorry, I don't have it.
I looked at my incoive again and since they couldn't replicate the problem they "performed TCM update and transmission relearn". It seems that this was just one of those problems that went away and (hopefully not) will return when I absolutely don't need it!
Often times serves shops can not replicate the owners problems. In your case as it was Mazda that serviced it your VIN was entered, and the service performed as record. So you are covered in case the problem returns. I would however strongly consider having a basic pan fluid service and filter done either at Mada or an independent shop. This will NOT void your warrant and may not only give insight on what is going on in your transmission but also start routine serving that should IMO be done every 30k miles.

Old 05-10-2023, 10:37 AM

Thank you for letting me know. There seems to be confusion on whether or not there is a Technical Service Bulletin for this. I'll keep digging. Have a swell day!

Old 05-10-2023, 02:25 PM

In your case as it was Mazda that serviced it your VIN was entered, and the service performed as record. So you are covered in case the problem returns.
Yes, and...be sure the service writer always puts the car's problem on the service order, not just his guess on how to fix it. If he just wrote, "Transmission service," then you might be hung out to dry.