Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

2020 CX-9 question on

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2023, 11:24 AM

^^^ good info except i do not promote the use of tire depth gauges anymore. Unfortunately, if you have a front wheel drive vehicle most of how you use a tread depth gauge does not work as well.
More drivers than not will unevenly wear whatever tire is on the front because of poor driving habits. The best advice is to religiously rotate the tires at 5k miles.
YES! except for the type of people (including me) who need to see and measure what's happening. Correctly using the tread depth gauge is a great indicator of uneven tread wear so we can then ask why and find a fix.

The other BIG factor in how a tire performs and driver feedback is tire pressure. Many don't really know how to adjust tire pressure or take the time to learn how to. So, most tires on most every vehicle we get in the shop the tire pressure are frankly always incorrect! And I understand that some is because they are using a cheap or untested for accuracy tire pressure gauge. More than 1/2 of those tire pressure gauges are off from 3-5 lbs which can make a difference. As well the reset recheck accuracy is often off due to the simple quality manufacturing of the gauge.
Yes and yes and yes. One time I gathered all my tire inflation pressure gauges of a couple of types, I think I had 8 gauges, and tested them all on the same tire. I figured that the ones with very close readings, within 1 psi, would be OK and the others, at least three of the group, got tossed out. I've since bought good gauges, check the readings, and even adjusted my Milton Inflator Gauge. And one needs to learn to use the gauge correctly, to seal the gauge's rubber gasket against the valve stem without air leaking. Improperly inflated tires wear faster, may be prone to failure, cause higher fuel consumption, and don't brake nor handle as safely. Yesterday I was next to a long travel trailer, maybe 30', and the tandem tires on the trailer were visibly soft. YIKES! Trailer tires need to be inflated to the full max pressure listed on the sidewall for stability and the load capacity. Auto tires need to be inflated to the pressures shown on the placard on the driver's door jam. Truck tires need to be inflated to carry the full weight of the truck plus its current load, although Load-inflation tables for the sizes needed aren't often at hand.

Great tire resource: Barry's Tire Tech

Old 11-27-2023, 11:37 AM

^^^ Pretty much agree. You and I tend to use equipment as it is designed and also making sure that the equipment used is in good shape and the case of a gauge digital or analog is tested with a known accurate device.

I use chalk more often to determine tread patter wear. A 2-inch solid line and a short drive can give you accurate information much better than a tire depth gauge which is after the fact, or any wear pattern has established.
Try it sometime.

Barry's tire information I have also used myself on other forums. Its good! Not 100% in agreement on every topic but then we have a little different experience as well credential level with some things.
I guess when I post my credentials it is never as good as a http on the www even if I have more which is also why I seldom use any http on the www to support what I post . LOL

Last edited by Callisto; 11-27-2023 at 11:42 AM.