Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

2021 CX-9 Wireless Apple CarPlay

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 09:54 AM
Default 2021 CX-9 Wireless Apple CarPlay

Really like my new CX-9 with the exception of having to be wired to use CarPlay. As all of the necessary hardware seems to be in place, perhaps this was a timing issue where Mazda didn’t have time to test. Fingers crossed that there is a firmware update coming to enable this. Any precedence of other models seeing enablement of wireless CarPlay after sale?

Old 06-09-2021, 05:46 PM

I suspect this is not something that can be enabled because it's a hardware "shortcoming" if you will. I am an Android user and have been looking at a device on Indiegogo that provides wireless Android Auto. The fact that such a device was created to address wireless connectivity for the CX-9 tells me wireless features are simply not in the hardware for both AA and Carplay. Sucks.

Old 10-20-2021, 02:23 PM

As a new owner, I'm also interested in this. Am I correct in saying I have to connect my phone to the usb port inside the center storage to use carplay which will result not allowing to plug the phone into charger port? I thought there was some wireless adapter to plug in to this port to receive wireless which would allow me to have the phone plugged in to charger port or ac port. Not so? Is there any way to use carplay without having my phone battery run out quickly?

Old 10-20-2021, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by gphin
As a new owner, I'm also interested in this. Am I correct in saying I have to connect my phone to the usb port inside the center storage to use carplay which will result not allowing to plug the phone into charger port? I thought there was some wireless adapter to plug in to this port to receive wireless which would allow me to have the phone plugged in to charger port or ac port. Not so? Is there any way to use carplay without having my phone battery run out quickly?
so when your phone is plugged in for Car Play it is always charging at the same time. they do have aftermarket wireless Car Play adapters that you can buy and plug into that same USB port and your connection will be wireless therefor won't be charging all the time, which I prefer. Below is the one I have

https://www.ebay.com/itm/36325428918...sAAOSwubRf-8kS

Old 10-20-2021, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dark cloud
so when your phone is plugged in for Car Play it is always charging at the same time. they do have aftermarket wireless Car Play adapters that you can buy and plug into that same USB port and your connection will be wireless therefor won't be charging all the time, which I prefer. Below is the one I have

https://www.ebay.com/itm/36325428918...sAAOSwubRf-8kS
Thanks for reply. My issue is when I connect my phone charging cord to the carplay connect port in the center console it connects.and works great. My phone also indicates it's charging. However, my phone is actually losing power quickly, about 1% every 2-3 minutes. It charges fine if connected to the other port and/or to the ac outlet. I'm hoping there is something that will allow me to charge the phone in one of these ports while an adapter can plug into the carplay center console port and connect to my phone. Will this dongle solve this problem? Thanks

Old 10-20-2021, 05:29 PM

i'm not sure if there's an issue with the operating system your phone is running or not but if it only drains like that when you are connected to the vehicle it might not hurt to take it to the dealership to let them know and check out. Having the charge come from a different port may solve your issue but I'd still be concerned with the drain from the other port

Old 10-21-2021, 04:57 PM

@gphin The USB hub outputs 2.1Amps per port that's more than enough juice to keep phone charged even with the most intensive CPU applications. I believe your phone is not charging or charging at a very low rate. I've read in another place of an issue when the phone is close to 100% full and it won't charge, OP isolated to a particular version of Mazda software. Iphone not charging
Take your car to the dealer and report problem.

And to answer your original question, CX9 don't have wireless Carplay or wireless charger in the US but they do offered them in Canada, Why? I can never understood Mazda NA crazy decisions.

Old 10-22-2021, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mazdaon
@gphin The USB hub outputs 2.1Amps per port that's more than enough juice to keep phone charged even with the most intensive CPU applications. I believe your phone is not charging or charging at a very low rate. I've read in another place of an issue when the phone is close to 100% full and it won't charge, OP isolated to a particular version of Mazda software. Iphone not charging
Take your car to the dealer and report problem.

And to answer your original question, CX9 don't have wireless Carplay or wireless charger in the US but they do offered them in Canada, Why? I can never understood Mazda NA crazy decisions.
CX9 Canada Wireless Carplay
Thanks for feedback. I'll check it out with my dealer and post results.

Old 01-27-2022, 10:50 PM

new member here from Canada, and I actually have a 2021 GT.
My wife is able to use Apple CarPlay in wireless mode, really flawless, no issue.
For android auto. I need to connect my Samsung phone with the cable, but I think I'm going to get the new Motorola MA1
To charge the phone I have many options:
- Wireless charger
- usb in the armrest
- 12v socket