Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

2021 Touring Navigation Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2021, 01:40 PM
Default 2021 Touring Navigation Issue?

Hello. I just purchased a 2021 CX9 Touring with Premium Package. When I got the vehicle, I noticed that it said that it was navigation ready, all I needed to do was buy the SD card for the navigation system. I bought the SD card and got the navigation system up and running. I do like having traffic on the navigation system, so I contacted Sirius XM and signed up for the Travel Link and Traffic + subscriptions. However, the vehicle doesn't recognize the Traffic + subscription, only the Travel Link stuff (like gas prices, weather, etc.). I called Sirius XM and they tell me that the vehicle is not able to receive the Traffic +, but I know it is available on Grand Touring and Signature vehicles. I assumed it's the same radio/navigation system that they use in all of the models, but I guess not. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Old 06-11-2021, 06:00 PM

Does your car get HD Radio? That's how my car gets traffic data. There's a switch in the settings.

Old 06-12-2021, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by PTguy
Does your car get HD Radio? That's how my car gets traffic data. There's a switch in the settings.
It does have HD radio but the only traffic data it seems to let me pick is Sirius XM Traffic Plus. Is yours a 2021? I think there's a new infotainment system for 2021.

Old 06-12-2021, 04:42 PM

I believe I have the same system in my 2019 Mazda3. I bought the SD card and called SirusXM. The first time I called they said my car would not use their service. The second time they tried to activate the package and only half was activated. The third (or fourth) time everything was activated except parking.

Gas prices is interesting. Wether is ok. Weather radar is worth having and traffic is great. Especially how it integrates with the navigation.

I will probably only renew traffic when my 3 years expires.

Old 06-12-2021, 09:22 PM

May I suggest to give Android Auto a try. I can only speak for AA but I assume Apple Carplay works very similarly. Navigation is free, no need to watch out for updates. It displays traffic patterns in real time. You can also use Waze which also provides data from users currently on the road as you are - traffic updates, speed traps, stalled vehicles, etc. SiriusXM also has an app if you're a subscriber. All of these are optimized to function and appear on AA's main screen. The interface is intuitive.

Some people might say it's a hassle to use because it requires your phone to be plugged in, unlike some other vehicles that already support wireless connections. Yes perhaps it's more convenient but plugging in just takes a fraction of a second so no big deal.

Keep in mind however that my 2021 CX-9 did NOT initially work because of an outdated software version on Mazda Connect - version 11020. An update to v.11022 fixed that and it's been golden ever since.

Old 06-15-2021, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by jmartin
I believe I have the same system in my 2019 Mazda3. I bought the SD card and called SirusXM. The first time I called they said my car would not use their service. The second time they tried to activate the package and only half was activated. The third (or fourth) time everything was activated except parking.

Gas prices is interesting. Wether is ok. Weather radar is worth having and traffic is great. Especially how it integrates with the navigation.

I will probably only renew traffic when my 3 years expires.
I think this is probably the same issue I'm having. When I look up the 2019 Mazda 3 on the XM system, it shows the same availability as the CX9, so I am guessing it is the same. Everything but traffic and parking work for me. I'd really like the traffic. I guess I will just call again and see if I have similar results as you.

Old 06-15-2021, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by normandelli
May I suggest to give Android Auto a try.

I do like Android Auto, and most of the time, the traffic information is far better than what you get from XM, but up here in rural NH, our cell service is pretty bad, so I lose service in a lot of areas. I know you can download the maps, but then you do lose the traffic and some other functions. I'd like the factory nav and XM traffic information as backup.

Old 06-15-2021, 10:06 PM

Greg, I hear ya. You're right, A decent cellular connection is a prerequisite to making good use of Android Auto / Apple Carplay. I guess that also means that if I head out to areas with spotty service, I'm screwed. LOL.

I've actually been thinking of getting a Mazda SD card as a backup - very much like you said but in reverse.

Old 06-16-2021, 10:59 AM

I agree that the phone based systems are better for navigation. I use Waze for trips. I use the Mazda system on a daily basis. I find it easier to use and quicker to turn on if I want to take an unplanned detour.

A huge benefit for me (that is irrelevant to most) is the ability to use one phone for the phone and another for music/podcasts. This only works when the phones are connected by Bluetooth. If you plug in a phone, you are limited to one phone. It also allows me to use navigation while a passenger has their phone connected for music.

Old 12-14-2021, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by gregk1239
I think this is probably the same issue I'm having. When I look up the 2019 Mazda 3 on the XM system, it shows the same availability as the CX9, so I am guessing it is the same. Everything but traffic and parking work for me. I'd really like the traffic. I guess I will just call again and see if I have similar results as you.
Hi, did you have any luck in activating the traffic plus plan with Sirius? I am in the same situation as you. People form sirius told the same answer as you. I can only get travel link which is useless... Let me know if you have an update.

Quick Reply: 2021 Touring Navigation Issue?